RELIABLE, POWERFUL Mag 2C

knestle

Newly Enlightened
Here's the deal.

I want the most powerful light possible, with ABSOLUTE reliability(I know there are no absolutes, but you know what I mean) in a Mag 2C package.

The only function of this light will be as a self defense weapon.
If I ever have to use it, it HAS to work! I want to be able to blind my opponent, and if that fails, use it as large and weighty Kubotan/Koppo stick.

So considerations are: Reliability, Power, Price.
Of course, I don't want to pay more than I need to, but I will pay what I need to to get what I want.

I have looked at the P7 2C-Maglite by DarkZero and I like it a LOT.
But what kind of output does it have, how reliable is it, what does it cost to build? Other than the cost, I think everything is answered in the thread.

I have looked at the Mankoff 700+ drop-in.
Very expensive but I suspect there is a very high reliability factor.

How much difference would I see between high output rechargables and Lithium C cells?

Any other builds I should consider?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appriciated.

That's the important stuff. Now I'll just babble.

Why a Mag 2C?
I. It is a very popular platform with lots of stuff available.
II. It is the right size, both in terms of carry and stealth. It fits nicely in the pocket of my Maxpedition FatBoy, mostly out of sight. It is small enough not to attract attention when carried openly in daytime. People see you dragging around a Mag 4D-6D, even at night, especially in daytime, and they see a weapon.

I will be using an aspherical lens, a Nite-Ize Grip N Clip, and if I can find one a pointy(but rounded tip) tail cap(NOT the XCape Cap. Debilatating pain is the goal, not serious injury.).

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced bezel for the aspherical lens. I really don't WANT a crenelated bezel, but if that's what's avilable at a good price, then that's the way it is.

Tim Carleton

Newly Enlightened
The only function of this light will be as a self defense weapon.

People see you dragging around a Mag 4D-6D, even at night, especially in daytime, and they see a weapon.

That kind of reads like you don't want to scare a potential attacker off by a large flashlight... and why the aspheric lens? :thinking:

I've done a P7 2C mag following Darkzero's thread and a ssc P4 2C mag. The P7 with 3 sub c nimh's is my favorite, but I need to mod the switch to calm the multimode driver down.

knestle

Newly Enlightened
That kind of reads like you don't want to scare a potential attacker off by a large flashlight... and why the aspheric lens? :thinking:

I would happily carry a .45 on my belt. I'm sure that would deter most attackers. Unfortunately that's not allowed.
The idea of a 2C(other than convenient carry) is to keep a low profile(like a Cold Steel Sharkie), not advertise to the public, or LEO's that it is a weapon. I would even go with a 2AA if I could get a reliable 500 lumens.

As to the aspheric lens, I was under the impression that it would concentrate the output into a tighter beam. I want the total power in a pinpoint spot, not flooding the neighborhood.

I've done a P7 2C mag following Darkzero's thread and a ssc P4 2C mag. The P7 with 3 sub c nimh's is my favorite, but I need to mod the switch to calm the multimode driver down.

You're talking to a TOTALLY IGNORANT newbie. What's the deal with the switch and the driver?