Cree XR-E Night Light

Al Combs

Enlightened
When I upgraded my Fenix P2D to a Q5 emitter from Cutter a few years back, I saved the old P4 emitter. I thought someday I would find a use for it. I got the idea from an AlexGT thread some months back. When the night light in our bedroom burned out, with no spare bulbs on hand I remembered that P4. I took the burned out 4 watt bulb and wrapped it up with a folded over paper towel. I cinched up a vice-grip around the bulb, opened the jaws and tightened an extra half turn and then closed, pop. There were only a few extra shards sticking up that were easy to break off with a needle nose pliers. That was my new LED host.

L1010454_Resample.jpg

L1010458_Resample.jpg

There is ≈ 57 volts where the resistor is soldered to the bulb's central filament stalk. If you were grounded and touched that part of the circuit, you'd get the full 120 volts. I covered the resistor leg with heat shrink tubing. Everything else is relatively low voltage. Or at most a low current shock potential. The night light socket is polarized. I even checked the outlet with one of those yellow things that has the three neon bulbs in it. So the resistor lead on the bulb side is the only thing that represents any real danger. I know some people will say it's unsafe to have anything plugged into a wall outlet with bare wires sticking out. Well we have no pets or kids. I'm not seeking UL approval. Nor am I trying to sell anything. And if you don't fell comfortable with all this, or don't have some understanding of electricity and the limited risk here, by all means don't build one. That liquid rubber stuff you dip pliers into to give them a new set of handles would probably work well. If you happen to have some handy. But this is just a novelty item displayed here for your curiosity. I thought if an XR-E can last 50 or 100K hours in a flashlight, at these low levels it should last forever. Whew, I'm glad I got all that out of the way.
:dedhorse:

A resistor is a horribly inefficient regulator. But at such a low power level, what does that really matter? I was off to the local Radio Shack right up the road. A package of 10K ohm half watt resistors and a package of rectifier diodes was all I needed. I figured if the diode was only allowing 60 volts through, and if the LED used around 3 volts, then the resistor would absorb about 57 volts. That's an efficiency rating of just over 5%.:sick2:

But it's actually very little power. If there were no LED in the circuit at all, a 10K ohm resistor would draw a little over 1/3rd of a watt in series with a diode and 120 volts. So I thought a half watt resistor would be enough. I touched the resistor after it had been running for about 10 minutes. It was burning hot. I Arctic Alumina epoxied a pre-1982 penny onto the resistor and diode. The diode wasn't hot at all, that was just for mechanical support. The penny was still hot, but not so hot I couldn't touch it. A short historical note, some pennies made in 1982 and all those made after that date are 97.5% Zinc with a copper coating. Zinc is a fairly terrible conductor of heat. So use an old penny. Or better yet get a 1 watt resistor.

L1010459_Resample.jpg

L1010462_Resample.jpg

The use of the penny as a heat sink had an added benefit. When you walk into the room it looks just like a total Solar eclipse.:cool: The light on the front of the penny is not the camera's flash. It's the reflection of daylight coming from a room on the south side of the house. The camera's spot meter read the light from the LED reflecting off the wall. To give you an idea of how bright it is.

Here's an interesting note on PWM. I have a Fenix L0D. I thought from using the L0D on low and the annoyance factor of its PWM dimming, that I would have a problem with this light. I can't notice the flickering effect at all unless I put my hand right next to it and move it rapidly. Using the L0D on low, all I have to do is turn my head slightly and everything it's pointed at flickers. Considering my half wave LED light night light is 60hz and the L0D's PWM frequency is 100hz, that surprised me. The only sense I can make of that is this night light has a 50% duty cycle. I'm guessing the L0D's duty cycle is much less than 50% on low.

I bought a 100µF capacitor hoping to cure the PWM problem I didn't realize I wasn't having. If it was in the circuit or not I couldn't see any difference in either the flickering of my hand moving rapidly back and forth in front of the LED or in the LED's brightness level. OK so I'm no electronics expert. My DMM measurement was 2.59 volts and 5.39 ma with the capacitor alligator clipped into the circuit. With the capacitor out of the circuit the current level was the same but the voltage dropped to about 1.5 volts. I have a cheap $20 meter that doesn't do RMS measurements. Since the 2.59 volts with the capacitor is more in line with what I was expecting, I'm guessing that's correct.

So how well does it work? Much brighter than I was expecting. It's has a slightly blueish tint. That's to be expected from the low voltage level I'm using. It draws less than half a watt. But it's much brighter than 2 of those little 1/4 watt neon bulb night lights. It's not quite as bright as the 4 watt bulb it's replacing. But for me that's a good thing. The old 4 watt bulb it's replacing was always a little too bright. As long as I can make my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night without breaking my neck, I'm happy.

Thanks for looking.:wave:

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone likes to live on the edge.
Yeah its dangerous but like you said your aware of it and no one else is there to be in danger. Just don't let your insurance agent see it or your homeowners/fire will go :poof: Maybe the diffuser shield that goes over the bulb would make things a bit safer, although you'll lose your eclipse.

But I like it, I did something similar with a 5mm LED night light. I put in a LuxIII and got much more output than the 5mm. Of course that had a circuit built in already but its about the same. I gave it too my parents so I can't check it. Its from HomeDepot

Al Combs

Enlightened
I remember reading a thread a little while ago about all the different LED lights that have come out recently. Many people said their high-tech lights burned out or got significantly dimmer in just a few months. That they didn't even last as long as a regular light bulb. By the time you drive a 5mm LED to a level that will light up the room, it has too much heat to be able to dissipate it through the epoxy encapsulating it. My local Stop & Shop carries several LED night lights now. All of them are the 5mm type. I was thinking of that thread when I saw them. I don't have any heat problems with my XR-E. Just with my low-tech resistor "regulator".:crackup: Your Home Depot light looks exactly like one they carry in my local store. Maybe I'll look into that.

I no longer have the bulb shield/diffuser to this particular base. That is to say it's a stained glass American Flag that is now wrapped around another base with a photocell in it, and used in a different room. The photocell light's original shield doesn't fit this one. The one that was in the bedroom had a diode already inside the base. Put there by me years ago mostly to make it dimmer. The only thing I could do along the "safety" lines would be to encapsulate the entire bulb in that black potting epoxy manufacturers use to keep people out. Or that liquid rubber dipping goop. Since I didn't have either on hand, neither of those quite fit my Sunday afternoon project theme.

Mark620

Enlightened
Nice looking night light.

I Arctic Alumina epoxied a pre-1982 penny onto the resistor and diode. The diode wasn't hot at all, that was just for mechanical support. The penny was still hot, but not so hot I couldn't touch it. A short historical note, some pennies made in 1982 and all those made after that date are 97.5% Zinc with a copper coating. Zinc is a fairly terrible conductor of heat. So use an old penny.

Are you aware that in 1974(or maybe 1975 - can't remember) the US mint started using a copper alloy in pennies? I only use pre 1974 pennies.

Will a LED not rectify the AC Voltage? I thought a LED is a diode?

Al Combs

Enlightened
Nice looking night light.

Are you aware that in 1974(or maybe 1975 - can't remember) the US mint started using a copper alloy in pennies? I only use pre 1974 pennies.

Will a LED not rectify the AC Voltage? I thought a LED is a diode?

Thanks! I was surprised it didn't generate much interest at the time. I kept thinking I can't be the only one with an extra XR-E left over after modding a light. What do people do with them? My wife jokingly tells me the, "Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" axiom will one day bury us alive in garbage.:crackup: Well most days she's joking.

I mentioned in my post that pennies made after 1982 were 97.5% zinc. A 1982 penny could be either copper or zinc. I remember thinking at the time anyone interested could Google for copper pennies. Copper pennies weigh 3.11 grams vs 2.5 grams for copper plated zinc pennies. But that requires a scale with 0.1 gram accuracy. There is also something called the "drop" test. Apparently a zinc penny makes more of a "clunky" type sound if you drop it on a hard surface like a Formica counter top. I tried it but couldn't tell the difference. Must have been the wrong kind of Formica. The penny I used was minted in 1980, so no testing was necessary.:)

Yes LED's are actual diodes as well as an excellent source of light. But the max value for reverse voltage on an XR-E is only 5 volts. Take a look at the Characteristics table on page 4 of Cree's XLamp7090XR-E.pdf. The 1,000 volts diode just happened to be the first one I saw in my local Radio Shack.

Illum

Flashaholic
The 1,000 volts diode just happened to be the first one I saw in my local Radio Shack.

EDIT: :stupid:

If you want to protect yourself, the easiest way is to find that lost plastic cover that belongs on your nightlight, then scoot the lamp in such a way that the LED is facing the cover and the penny is facing the wall

I can never build anything dead bug style that gets away from my sense of aesthetics...:grin2:

Last edited:

Al Combs

Enlightened
I wonder of the IN4001-4007 family will work as well, those are general purpose diodes and may not work at high switching frequencies.
Sorry, I have no idea. I'm not an electronics wiz. Is 60 hz considered high frequency? I only know the one I used works OK. Five months old now and still going strong.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be careful man, with those exposed wires, are you going to cover it up?

Illum

Flashaholic
I think it might be an interesting thing to tape the globe down, drill a small hole near the top to break it in, then cut the base off using sometype of file or sander after making a mark with a washable marker. Then perform the modification and replace the globe, lining up the mark between the glass. Finish it off using some clear epoxy around the cutting region then your done.
The hanging LED of CPF, not the seven wonders of this world but would strike any flashaholic in the face for the immediate fascination:whistle:

Al Combs

Enlightened
Be careful man, with those exposed wires, are you going to cover it up?
No I wasn't planning on it. I have a piece of heat shrink tubing on the leg of the resistor that goes to the central contact of the bulb or hot lead. The other leg of the resistor only has ≈ 3 volts going through it. The exposed diode wire goes to the outside bulb casing which on my polarized 120 volt plug is the neutral. Usually between neutral and ground I have less than 1 volt in that outlet. It doesn't always read the same thing, but it's always very low. The load in my house is balanced pretty well. With my LED nightlight plugged in I can measure a little less than 3 volts with my DMM between any exposed wire and ground. The only thing I can touch the hot side of the resistor with by the heat shrink tubing is my finger nail. The gap is too small to actually touch the wire. It only looks like it's not safe.

Actually I did make one safety mod of a sorts. This light sits in front of the hamper in my bedroom. When I throw dirty clothes and miss, sometimes it hits the bulb. I was afraid I'd break the delicate exposed filament stalks of the bulb. I bought a new night light just to get a cover. To protect my homemade LED bulb from errant laundry that is, not me from electrocution.

I think it might be an interesting thing to tape the globe down, drill a small hole near the top to break it in, then cut the base off using sometype of file or sander after making a mark with a washable marker. Then perform the modification and replace the globe, lining up the mark between the glass. Finish it off using some clear epoxy around the cutting region then your done.
The hanging LED of CPF, not the seven wonders of this world but would strike any flashaholic in the face for the immediate fascination:whistle:
The though passed through my mind. I just couldn't think of a way of cutting the globe off without destroying it. It does generate a fair amount of heat. The resistor that is. It just might cook the LED if it was enclosed.

Illum

Flashaholic
Tunsten carbide cutters do exist, but its only for sheet glass
I'm thinking of using the cutting wheel on the dremel on low rpm to eat through the globe one part at a time. higher rpm might develop cavitation and the vibration could shatter the entire globe.

The though passed through my mind. I just couldn't think of a way of cutting the globe off without destroying it. It does generate a fair amount of heat. The resistor that is. It just might cook the LED if it was enclosed.

Well, if your working with line voltage, any increase in current means big gain in heat. It occured to me that serializing two P4s in opposing polarity might be a better offer, one on each end hey?

Its still incredible to see how you pulled this off mounting everything that is in essence mechanically floating on wee stalks:D

Last edited:

Al Combs

Enlightened
Tunsten carbide cutters do exist, but its only for sheet glass
I'm thinking of using the cutting wheel on the dremel on low rpm to eat through the globe one part at a time. higher rpm might develop cavitation and the vibration could shatter the entire globe.

Well, if your working with line voltage, any increase in current means big gain in heat. It occured to me that serializing two P4s in opposing polarity might be a better offer, one on each end hey?
I was trying to think of something to cut glass that delicate. An aluminum oxide cutoff wheel on the Dremel would probably do it. I think very slight pressure would be better than slow speed, to a point at least. If you could figure a way to drip water on the wheel would be even better. Say in the kitchen sink with saran wrap to catch the centrifugal splatter. A medium speed with low pressure should give adequate air cooling though. Some scotch tape across the cut once you got to about 270° finished for support. Of course tape won't work well with water as a coolant. A Micro-Flame torch could melt the edge of the cut and help seal the inevitable fractures. The glass is so thin I doubt it would fracture from thermal stress. Well just some ideas. If you try it, be sure and tell us how it's done. It sounds like you might need a whole pack of bulbs instead of just one. :)

As far as the second emitter, the same setup could easily handle a second emitter. The plus side to a "constant current" regulator with gross inefficiency. The resistor uses 1/3 of a watt but the LED is only drawing 14 mw ([email protected]). It's surprisingly bright at that level. My P3D-Q5 on low and at a distance to make its hotspot the same diameter is about the same level of intensity.

Its still incredible to see how you pulled this off mounting everything that is in essence mechanically floating on wee stalks:D
Thanks! The 40 watt candelabra bulbs have much thicker filament stalks if you think you need it. That glass thing in the middle they mount the filament supports to is a bit longer. But that would mean making two cuts if you wanted the size of the 7 watt envelope. I really don't think support is a problem as long as you don't hit it head on with a T-shirt going 20 mph. :sick2: But it survived even that OK. Gravity is not a problem, only stupidity.:crackup: