alternatives to SureFire Outdoorsman E2L?

ixfd64

Newly Enlightened
I've been wanting a high-powered LED flashlight for some time, and I've recently been eyeing the SureFire E2L Outdoorsman. I've generally heard good things about SureFire.

However, I've also heard that SureFire is a bit like Wicked Lasers, in a sense: SureFire is one of the most popular brands, but its products are on the pricey side.

I asked on another forum and was told that I should also consider the Fenix TK series, as well as some of the flashlights on DealExtreme. How good are these products in general?

Does anyone know of other cheaper alternative for the E2L Outdoorsman? I don't think $149 is too much, but I wouldn't mind lower prices.

The qualities I'm looking for are:

• a long battery life (the E2L lasts around 100 hours on the low-power setting)
  • similar size and build
  • durability
  • something that would generate oohs and ahs while on cave tours :)
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to check out 4Seven's Quark line, especially the tactical ones. You can program it's 2 modes, which you can switch between the 2 modes you choose simply by twisting the head. You can choose 2 modes very similar to the E2L and get similar runtimes. Here are the specs for the 2 CR123 light:

Moonlight: 0.2 lumens, 30 days
Low: 3.5 lumens, 5 days
Medium: 18 lumens, 20 hours
High: 70 lumens, 4.5 hours
Max: 190 lumens, 1.8 hours
Strobe, 3 hours
Beacon, 23 hours

Low and High would be very similar to the E2L.

ixfd64

Newly Enlightened
Wow, 4Sevens has some pretty nice products, especially the Quark 123² Tactical.

How does its durability (and finish) compare to SureFire flashlights, though?

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have three non-tactical Quarks. can't really testify to their robustness as i haven't abused them yet. however, to me, at least, they feel more like an Eagle-Tac in the hand, than a Fenix in the hand (the Fenix "Tank" series lights, being the obvious exception). this observation is good, IMO. Not that Fenix are cheap feeling, by any means, but, and it may only be psychological, the Quarks and Eagle-Tacs just "feel" a bit more robust than the Fenix 'L' and 'P' series lights. that's just my opinion with no empirical evidence to back it up, YMMV.

the thing to remember, since you mentioned the SF Outdoorsman, is that when switched 'On', the E2L comes on in its low o.p. (output) mode FIRST. this is important, to my mind at least, in the great outdoors, or the great "indoors", i.e., when in the "inner" mountain, so to speak. so, keep that in mind when you look for a SF Outdoorsman substitute.

The non-Tactical Quarks can be run in their more general mode and do come on in their lowest o.p. level first. Similarly, with the Eagle-Tacs, but the Eagle-Tac's LOW o.p. level is FAR, FAR brighter than the SF Outdoorsman and the Quarks. For camping or caving use, i wouldn't suggest an Eagle-Tac. The Quark is far more flexible in terms of its range of o.p. levels and burntimes.

The Quarks will fit the bill nicely, but won't be as robust as the Fenix "Tank" series lights. However, the Fenix "Tanks" will suffer from the same problem as the Eagle-Tacs, viz. their LOWer o.p. levels are just FAR, FAR too bright if you intend to attempt to disrupt your low-light/dark adaptation as little as possible. However, if this is NOT a requirement, then by all means go for a light whose lowest level blasts out 50-60 lm of light. Since you mentioned the E2L, i have been operating on the assumption that a fairly low LOW with a very long burntime was desirable to you, as well as the comparatively smaller SIZE of the E2L vs. the larger size of the Fenix "Tanks".

LiteFlux lights may fit the bill also. I wouldn't imagine that they are as robust as an E2L, but then very probably neither are the Quarks. However, they are very highly user configurable, cost far less than half the price of an E2L, and are at least as bright or brighter than the E2L. check out the reviews of the LiteFlux lights on both CPF and light-reviews dot com. you can purchase the LiteFlux lights at eliteLED dot com. i have the three current models of LiteFlux lights and they make for a fine EDC, but i'd have to stretch my imagination to say that they would be nearly as robust as an E2L, but then very probably neither are the Quarks which you mentioned (and which i also very much like).

sorry, i can't be of more assistance.

ixfd64

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I saw a recent thread on testing how much abuse a Fenix could take. I don't know about the other flashlights, but I'm not inclined to find out!

I take it that the Quark series also have type III anodization, right?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quarks do have Type III anodizing. Also for a limited time you can get one in a neutral tint which will be great for outdoor useage.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pre-ordered a 1 x CR123a Tactical Quark with a warm-tint emitter, with an extra 2 x AA body tube, specifically to use as an outdoor/hunting/ hiking/camping light in 2 x AA configuration. Preset to "high" and "low" (as was already mentioned) the light shoud be a good general use "in the woods" light.

I'd still go ahead and get the E2L, down the road, if you've got the money, as by all accounts, it is an excellent light. But you might want to see how the Quark works for you. WIth the warm-tint emitter, and the more traditional beam than the Surefire, I think it may prove more satisfactory.

Latest posts