D10 ramping issue on 14500?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought a 14500 batt and 139 charger...charged the batt, put it in my D10 and it lite...but, it will not ramp up/down. Thought it might have messed up the light but works normal with AA reinstalled.

Thoughts?

oldpal

Enlightened
Bought a 14500 batt and 139 charger...charged the batt, put it in my D10 and it lite...but, it will not ramp up/down. Thought it might have messed up the light but works normal with AA reinstalled.

Thoughts?

Exercise the piston by switching from max to min and back again several times. Also you need to press the piston very hard. I had the very same thing happen to my D10 with 14500s. Keep working it and it will probably work OK.

Hugh

damn_hammer

Enlightened
I use a AW 14500 battery in my D10 R2 charged on the 139 charger. No issues with ramping up, or down. However, it did take three D10's before I got one that did not have some sort of interface problem.

Vbeez

Enlightened
I have ramping down problem after using 14500, problem stays even switched it back to eneloop. What is D 10 working voltage, will it void warranty if using 14500 ?

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
D10 supports 14500, don't worry.
If it doesn't work, you should send it back to your dealer.
My EX10 initially had flickering problems, i suppose even Nitecore has QC problems....

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
My D10 is an older one with the GD+. Maybe those were not meant to run on 14500? I`m at my mothers home for a few days and left the !4500 batt at my home...so can`t try any solutions for the moment...but I will try pressing harder...and loosening the head a bit.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use AW's 14500 with no problems at all!

RGB_LED

Enlightened
I use AW's 14500 with no problems at all!
Same here. I actually find running a 14500 slightly brighter... but UI works exactly the same as with AA.

It may be a QC issue - if this is newly purchased, you may want to exchange it.

oldpal

Enlightened
My D10 is an older one with the GD+. Maybe those were not meant to run on 14500? I`m at my mothers home for a few days and left the !4500 batt at my home...so can`t try any solutions for the moment...but I will try pressing harder...and loosening the head a bit.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

The D10 that I was discussing earlier in this thread was in fact a GD+. I have an EX10 GD+ that initially worked like my D10.

Hugh

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D10 that I was discussing earlier in this thread was in fact a GD+. I have an EX10 GD+ that initially worked like my D10.

Hugh

Good to know...I will work it back a forth as soon as I get home...in a few days. Hope this works...the D10 is my favorite light, but if it doesn`t...it will still be my fav light...just have to stick with my rechargable AA`s.

I ordered a Quark AA this morning to run my 14500 in just in case I can`t get it to work in the D10.

Gave me the excuse I needed to justify buying one. Can`t let that new $12 dollar batt just sit around unused...

Again, thanks everyone :)

choaticwhisper

Enlightened
This is actually a old problem, You must not have searched very well or not searching for the right terms.
Also I can't believe no one has the right answer yet.

I just recently got a AW 14500 for my D10 GD+. My problem sounded almost the same as what you discribed, The 14500 are a hair longer than a normal AA, The spring inside the piston has got to much around the bottom. Use something that will reach in a remove the spring i.e. tweezers. look at the base of the spring there is probaly a extra ring around the bottom, cut about 1/2 off the bottom/ big end and put it back in.

The battery being longer makes the spring compress all the way and the extra loop at the bottom is on top of each other, so the piston is not making the right contact.
After you do this you can still use a normal aa just like normal.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The simplest solution to this problem is to remove about 1/4" to 1/2" of the end of the spring coil in the piston at the wide end.

The last 2 coils of the spring like to stack on top of each other, causing the piston to be just too short for the switching to work. Had the pistons been made just a hair longer, there wouldn't be a problem.

I have performed this mod to at least 10 D10/EX10's and it has fixed all but one of them. The one it didn't fix had a QC issue with the piston.

Hope this helps.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had no problems with Utrafire or Trustfire cells in my Preoder Nitecore D10 but I do not trust either manufacturer because they lie like the American media. :tinfoil:

I do think that AW cells are worth the $.

Do not fully tighten the head when using Li-ion batteries.

Last edited: