Stock L2 or DX Drop in for Weapon Light

skifast

Newly Enlightened
First, let me apologize for my previous threads. I should have spent more time using the search function. That being said, I did search and could not find an answer to my specific question posed in this thread.

I bought a Solarforce L2 with a Cree R2 7090 XR-E LED. From what I read the Lumen claim is pure marketing BS.

Anyways, I plan on mounting the light to my AK. It is my primary home defense weapon. Yes, I understand round penetration and the anti-weapon light arguments. I just don't agree with them.

The application that I see the light is not room clearing. I believe in a safe room and shooting anyone that is unauthorized to enter. A fatal funnel approach.

The purpose of the light is target ID and target disorientation. Is the stock LED set on strobe sufficient to disorient an attacker for 5 seconds?

Should I get the DX
Cree XR-E R2-WC LED instead?

I understand that the Malkoff and other lights are better, but I am looking for an inexpensive solution that gets the job done. Afterall, I chose an AK over an AR.:poke:

Finally, I read that not using rechargable batteries on a weapon is advised due to the recoil damaging the batteries circuitry. True or false?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tactical value of a strobe is debated rather heatedly - will it have the disorientation effect you hope for, I don't know.

I will point out that unless you intend to do a lot of firing with your weapon/weapon light, the issue of damage to battery circuitry is probably going to be a moot point.

You won't be using a fixed beam for target ID - so practicing with the weapon/weapon light isn't particularly beneficial for you.

-Trevor

skifast

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response. I like your sig line.

It seems that a bright pulsing light would have at least a momentary effect. At least long enough to squeeze off a round or two.

Anyways, I can not imagine that it would be a disadvantage.

jake25

Enlightened
While the Solarforce dropin numbers sometimes are inflated, they are still plenty bright, rated by Gman to be around 200 lumens. For a Host and Dropin that costs less that most dropins itself.

From my personal experience, any 200+ lumen flash is enough to disorient, regardless of strobe. Just that pulse of extremely bright light is more than enough to stop someone, especially someone who hasn't seen anything so bright before.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Solarforce drop in does not achieve full brightness on one cell, are you running single 1860 or 2 RCR? Also, personally I would not use a multi-mode light in that kind of situation. I recommend a warm, single mode drop-in.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
You are trusting your life to an untested general purpose emitter module, that you are forcing into a weapon light role, that is considerably cheaper in both price and quality than a US made offering, and you are relying on using a lighting technique that carries dubious claims to effectiveness, and then mention that you need the strobe to disorient someone to get a shot off. If the light is attached to the gun and boresighted, and you are illuminating the target, aren't you already set up to take that shot? I'm confused as to your goal, as it sounds very mall ninja.

skifast

Newly Enlightened
Maybe so. I view the light as an ancillary tool. If it fails to turn on, then I still have a Russian AK with a Kobra sight and a laser sight for close range targets.

I am not a police officer, so clearing rooms and a range of tactical situations are not my concern.

My main concern is someone entering my house at night. The alarm goes off. I get everyone into our safe room with a narrow hall way as the only approach, ruling out rapelling off the roof. My wife will have a Mossy 500 and I will have the AK. I will be the main defender. I see the situation as turn on the light, place the laser or holo dot on the target and shoot until the threat is removed. If the light distracts the attacker long enough that I don't face return fire, good. If not, I hope he isn't a good shot and that I had time to throw on a vest.

I have read a lot of positive feedback about the Solarforce. If you are stating that it won't turn on when I press the switch, that goes against what I have read.

I hope and expect that I will never face any hostile situation. I just want to make reasonable preps in case it happens to arise.

I promise I will only wear proper and common clothes for a 46 year old when I go to the mall. I will however have a concealed handgun.
You are trusting your life to an untested general purpose emitter module, that you are forcing into a weapon light role, that is considerably cheaper in both price and quality than a US made offering, and you are relying on using a lighting technique that carries dubious claims to effectiveness, and then mention that you need the strobe to disorient someone to get a shot off. If the light is attached to the gun and boresighted, and you are illuminating the target, aren't you already set up to take that shot? I'm confused as to your goal, as it sounds very mall ninja.

skifast

Newly Enlightened
I am planning on using 2 123As. The lights should arrive in the next day or two.

What is the benefit of warm light?

If the strobe function is right, I was planning on using the memory function to have it automatically come on.
My Solarforce drop in does not achieve full brightness on one cell, are you running single 1860 or 2 RCR? Also, personally I would not use a multi-mode light in that kind of situation. I recommend a warm, single mode drop-in.

skifast

Newly Enlightened
Although in your defense, I would state that pictures of my rifle does elicit the following:

akc.jpg

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try strobe , wait till its dark , then find a nice safe place to try it , as you would to defend yourself ...

Hows that target acquisition ?

Anyhow , DX R2 pills are no better than what you have ...
The best pill is the 4.2v 5 mode from solarforce , you most likely got the 8.4v one ... But its nether here nore there ..

If you want another , head over to DX and take a look at the Ultrafire 501B with a 5 Mode R2 ... Why spend $11 on a pill , when for $16 you get a flashlight .
Thats if you have to ...

sku.25369 Cree XPE-WC-R2 5-Mode + Memory ..
As soon as I get this one , ill post a short review ...
Supposedly a real thrower , but no beamshots that I know of as yet .