Question about Fenix PD30 vs Fenix LD20

brigadeer

Newly Enlightened
I recently got into looking for high quality & performance LED flashlights for a reasonable price. My search led me to the Fenix line of LED flashlights.

About a month ago, I ordered the Fenix LD20. At that time, I literally did not know anything about the CR123 batteries, so I went with a AA model. I love the flashlight, and was very amazed at how much light this thing puts off.

I then followed up about a week ago with an order for a Fenix PD30. I was really excited to get this guy in given the much smaller form factor, and the fact that it was actually rated higher in lumens than the already super bright LD20 I own.

Long story short, although I am happy with the PD30, I swear that the LD20 actually puts out a brighter beam than my PD30, which really throws me for a loop. According to the product descriptions of both, the PD30 on turbo mode is supposed to give 220 lumens. The LD20 on turbo mode is supposed to give 180 lumens.

I'm sure that's not a big difference or anything. That said, I swear that 180 lumen rated LD20 gives off a slightly brighter beam in turbo mode than the 220 lumen rated PD30.

Has anyone else ever found anything similar to this, or do I need my eyes checked? Not that it should matter I suppose, but, I have the LD20 currently running off of normal Duracell AA's, and I have the PD30 running off of Surefire CR123's.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
They are pretty damn close. Here is a review to take a look at. The two sets of beam shots at the bottom have the two lights you own.

thedeske

Enlightened
I'm sure that's not a big difference or anything. That said, I swear that 180 lumen rated LD20 gives off a slightly brighter beam in turbo mode than the 220 lumen rated PD30.

Has anyone else ever found anything similar to this, or do I need my eyes checked? Not that it should matter I suppose, but, I have the LD20 currently running off of normal Duracell AA's, and I have the PD30 running off of Surefire CR123's.

Interesting - You can swap heads on these, Right?
Might be worth a test.

brigadeer

Newly Enlightened
You did the ceiling bounce test?
My PD30 is brighter and its quite noticeable too. I have both with me now.

What is the ceiling bounce test? Remember, you are talking to an LED flashlight newb with a total of 3 posts in the forum, lol.

I appreciate your help and insight.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the ceiling bounce test? Remember, you are talking to an LED flashlight newb with a total of 3 posts in the forum, lol.

I appreciate your help and insight.

Point one of the lights straight up at a ceiling and look for the brightest and darkest parts of the room. Now with the other light do the same thing and compare output that way. I like to use a white poop of paper on the floor as a reference, maybe even something with lettering on it.

AusKipper

Enlightened
I am having a similar thing with my TK20 and TK10 at the moment.

The TK20 is rated at 150lm, the TK10 225lm and yet I swear my TK20 is brighter..

Ceiling bounce test isnt much help either because the tints are soo different..

I think its just because the TK20 has more throw, and I naturally look for throw over spill somehow.

strinq

Enlightened
Point one of the lights straight up at a ceiling and look for the brightest and darkest parts of the room. Now with the other light do the same thing and compare output that way. I like to use a white poop of paper on the floor as a reference, maybe even something with lettering on it.

Yeah. It also helps if u have a totally pitch black room in your house, with a white ceiling. When I said noticeable i meant it can be differentiated but not greatly so.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is the actual tint of the led
and how wide the beam is
... both make brightness comparisons with such poor gadgets like our eyes very difficult.

except for the ceiling-bounce You could also use the overlay method:
make a whitewall hunt with the 1st light, add 2nd light, now move one beam away and add it again. Doing that with both lights for a few times and at some point one might notice that one beam is weaker.

PS: a 1*18650 light is better than both! ;)
more spice in cell, cheaper with much use (rechargeable), cheaper when good charger and cells are not available be4 ordering the AA light, shorter and a bit more diameter (better to pocket, nicer to grip)

Last edited: