Nitecore D10 misbehaving

Mr. kydex

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Perhaps you guys could help me with my NiteCore D10 R2.
I've had it for a few weeks now and I've had no real issues with it, until last night. it's just not doing what it should. for example, if its on high and I double click to get to low it will either not register both taps/clicks and just turn off or go to low and then turn off. and it seems I have to press harder to get it to do anything and the piston sound is louder. also sometimes it won't turn on when I press it, almost acting like momentary mode (and No, it's not set in momentary mode) or turn off right away. I'm currently using brand new Eneloops.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

victor01

Newly Enlightened
Hi, welcome to CPF

Try take the light apart and lube the piston well. Apply a non petroleum based lubricant at the O-rings. Clicks the light firmly. If still doesn't work, it's time to seek help from your dealer, If you bought from 4sevens, I only hear good words about him.

loanshark

Enlightened
Clean the contacts, take a screwdriver or pocketknife insert it in the split ring on the head and twist it to widen the gap a bit. When your done with that rotate the split ring so the split is in a new location.

After you do the above, I'll bet your problems are over...

Mr. kydex

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. loanshark, I'll try doing what you said. I don't have any good lube right now so I'll order some NyoGel 760G from Lighthound.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like your D10 is suffering from a case of too much lube. First thing to try is to clean the piston and body tube, and re-lube very lightly. It doesn't take much lube to create a smooth action.

Mr. kydex

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I did what loanshark suggested and it seems to be working fine, For now at least. I'm going to buy some lube when I can and hopefully then my D10 will be back to it's normal, reliable self. Of course if I have anymore issues I'll be sure to contact 4sevens (I did buy it from them).

glockboy; I did try different batteries, both NiMh and alkaline.

loanshark

Enlightened
Awesome. I've been carying mine almost a year, and I've only had to do this once, and that's all I've had to do to my D10. It's been used daily since last 3th of July.

I take that back, I did lube the o-ring on the body once. But i don't think it really needed it.

Mr_Black

Newly Enlightened
I had my Nitecore D10 for about two months and it was having battery life problems. The battery (brand new Eneloops) were drained after only four to six days. I had to recently send it back to Four Sevens to be replaced. According to them there is a "faulty part used in manufacturing" and they are dealing with the problem. Maybe the faulty part may be causing your problem too.

Mr. kydex

Newly Enlightened
Well, It (the D10) was fine for a while (or at least I never noticed it doing anything weird) but started acting up again. the Nyogel arrived today so I did like you guys suggested and wiped off all the old lubricant from the Piston and applied a sufficient amount of Nyogel, then it started behaving similarly as describe in my original post. I even tried applying different amounts of lube to the piston but to no avail :mecry:. This light is driving me nuts!:hairpull: Are all the NiteCores (D10's anyway) like this, or perhaps (hopefully) I just got one with issues? :confused: I'm not sure if it's just the light and maybe I could have it replaced or if NiteCores just aren't for me. :sigh: If the light is not defective or anything I feel like selling it and buying a "normal" light (something that doesn't use the Piston Drive), But I do so love the UI.

What do ya'll suggest I do?

Thanks again!

I really appreciate all you guy's help. :twothumbs

Vbeez

Enlightened
I have two D10, one misbehaved after using few months, now the other one starts having problem.

Mr. kydex

Newly Enlightened
Update:

Well, I sent my D10 to 4Sevens and they had a look at it. Turns out they couldn't find any faulty part or anything really "wrong" with it, So they re-lubed it for me, adjusted the brass ring and sent it back. 4Sevens has great customer service. It's been working fine so far (it just got back today), so my guess (and that's all it is) is that it had something do with the lube on the piston, probably the type. I wish I hadn't had any problems with my D10 to begin with, but I really can't complain.

Thanks again everyone for your help. Hopefully this thread will be helpful to other Nitecore D10 owners.

hatman

Enlightened
Clean the contacts, take a screwdriver or pocketknife insert it in the split ring on the head and twist it to widen the gap a bit. When your done with that rotate the split ring so the split is in a new location.

After you do the above, I'll bet your problems are over...

Thanks!

Rotating the split ring seems to have made the UI more reliable, as it was when it was new.

What the heck does that do?

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The D10 pills have a tendency to go crooked when they're tightened. Rotating the ring can put the split or a thinner part of the ring into the spot where the gap is smallest between pill and body.

hatman

Enlightened
The D10 pills have a tendency to go crooked when they're tightened. Rotating the ring can put the split or a thinner part of the ring into the spot where the gap is smallest between pill and body.

???
By tightening, you mean tightening the head itself?

BillSXT2002

Newly Enlightened
I had my Nitecore D10 for about two months and it was having battery life problems. The battery (brand new Eneloops) were drained after only four to six days. I had to recently send it back to Four Sevens to be replaced. According to them there is a "faulty part used in manufacturing" and they are dealing with the problem. Maybe the faulty part may be causing your problem too.

I think I am having an identical issue on a light of nearly identical age. I will try to turn the light on after about a week of little use, and the battery will be dead. Is that your experience?

Abyssos

Newly Enlightened
My rather new D10 R2 completely drains a fully charged Eneloop battery in 6 days with me only switching on every other day for a few seconds to check the battery. Mine will be going back to 4Sevens. They have already issued a RMA number to me. It is a nicely designed light, but I see many people have problems with theirs. And now, mine is one of them...grrrr.

On a side note, if the D10 only have the CUI of the Liteflux LF2XT, it would be perfect. It is annoying losing your user select setting after changing to high or low intensity.