ROP LE 2D

braisone

Newly Enlightened
After searching around this forum I can't help but build a light. I've decided to go with the ROP LE to get my feet wet. I'll be using 2x18650 in a 2D host. I already have the parts on order. I went and bought a silver host this morning. The tube for the cells is being built by Wayne at Electrolumens. I haven't figured out what to do about the tailcap. I think I am going to deanodize it and mod the spring, but not sure. So to get to the point, I need help with the tailcap issue.:confused: I'm open to any and all ideas. Thanks eveyone.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I have been reading, you don't have to deanodize the tailcap for a 2D host, only for a 2C host. I have also ordered the parts for my ROP LE, and I also ordered this spring; it apparently the final few coils of the spring have a smaller diameter than the normal maglite spring, so it will make contact with 18650's. I am probably going to build some sort of holder out of PVC.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure it would be way cheaper to just make one yourself, especially after factoring in the shipping on the malkoff adapter. That is what I am planning on doing.

braisone

Newly Enlightened
Wayne @ Electrolumens is making a tube for me. Not sure what he is going to come up with, but it should be nice considering the work he does.

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't need to be nice. It just needs to keep the cells in place. Wayne's used PVC pipe in the past. Some people machine holders out of delrin. Heater hose or rolled up paper work just a swell.

Modding/replacing the spring so it makes good contact and puts less pressure on the cells is the important part.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well hopefully the KD spring will work well for both of us. Are there any contact issue with the spring in the back of the switch that the positive ends of the batteries contact with?