Help me build

nihilist37

Newly Enlightened
I'll admit it I am a science teacher and I am as confused as hell with all this stuff.

I need a new caving light but don't want to spend the $800 on a SCURION.

So, I was wondering if I could get some people on the boards help to reverse engineer a light that would have the same specs.

I have an engineer here who can mill all the housing etc. so that's not the issue. The issue is the circuitry and what ingredients I need.

So here is the light http://www.scurion.ch/ms/index.php?Scurion-k

It has a lot of extra features like a battery level indicator and programmable brightness level which I do not want or need.

Ideally I would like to run the batteries from a belt pack and so the number of batteries isn't too critical. It would likely use the 18650's

As I said it is for caving mostly and therefore needs decent battery length. I really like the idea of one flood and one throw but wouldn't mind an extra flood.

At the bottom of the page there are a lot of PDF's with decent information in them on how the light works and the components involved.

Mass is another issue as I dont want more than about 200g on the front if it can be helped.

So any takers?

Mick

Newly Enlightened
This link may give you some ideas. There are many different ways to go. I just tested this light in a Tennessee cave and think it is a good solution. You might re-think the variable power; it is a nice option.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/226956

Helmet_P3Ledil18deg1sm.jpg

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is parts alone for a "clone" of the linked light would be over $100, maybe as much as $200, plus machine time to make body/casing, and a battery pack. For a clone, you're probably looking at about $400-500 to have someone make it.

Now if you'd rather just have a single LED, or several smaller led's, you could probably get by with a couple hundred less.

nihilist37

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mick I really like your light.

Sorry if I didn't explain correctly. The scurion has two Crees on different circuits. Using a small CPU in the circuit you can program each of the 4 settings so that they have varying level of flood or spot. Too much effort for me.

I'm not tied to the idea of having the extra dies, just decent battery life for big lumens (you know the same as everyone else)

However If you are making a small run of those lights i'd definitely be interested. If it makes things easier I don't need the housing as I said I have a good engineer here that will make it for me.