My Experience With "DEAL EXTREME"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrego7

Newly Enlightened
A while back I stumbled upon this forum looking for some information on high power LED flashlights. I learned a few things that changed my mind from buying a Coast LED Lenser, though I am now wishing I had. Quite a few people on this sited recommended DEAL EXTREME. So I decided to purchase a UltraFire WF-1000L Cree MC-E (BIN K-WC) 2-Mode LED Flashlight (2*18650/4*CR123A). I received the item about 2 weeks later. I then realized I never ordered enough batteries. I then ordered more batteries, waited and they came. Charged them and guess what the flashlight didn't work... I spoke with a DEAL EXTREME REP and she said to send the item back. So I did and still to this day I have not received my flashlight. I have sent them numerous emails regarding my issue being polite enquiring on the status of situation no one has been kind enough to reply with any response... Beware of this site. I paid with paypal and they say they do not cover purchases outside ebay... But they sure do keep their cut of the payment sent to DEAL EXTREME. Think twice when you pay with paypal, it would be wiser to use your credit card. At least that way you can ask for the charge to be charged back..

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I myself have started more than 1 thread regarding the lack of quality at Deal Extreme.

I think DX is a good site to order from and they have tons of selection, but it also forced me to learn a bit about how lights are made. All my P7/MC-E and R2 lights purchased from DX have failed or not worked out the box. The lack of quality of DX lights forces you to learn more about lights than you bargain for. If it wasn't for DX lights not working for me I wouldn't be at CPF today.

You should have also read that for absolute quality stick to Malkoff, Surefire, Fenix, and other reputable manufactures with proven customer service. Now, I use DX for parts and I will continue to purchase the cool P60 drop-in lights knowing it will require me to ensure it works. It is like free flashlight training with the purchase of their lights.

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
risk is always present at dx. i read about those thing before i bought from them in 1st time. i have no quarrels with them. all worked, only delivery took sometimes too long. but those things i knew before i ordered anything.. by just reading thru few threads of dx.

also if there is really low budget, it limits the options. maybe thats why you were directed to go there? or you chose to go there yourself to save some money.

im very suprised someone persuaded you away from led lenser and directed you to buy from dx instead.

no really, i am extremely suprised they didnt talk about fenix/nitecore/jetbeam as option for led lenser? they would be more in same price range as LL and offer bit more features and close to similar quality.

(i think i must go look for that thread and see who suggested it.. :) )

Illum

Flashaholic
DX has been under much scrutiny for stuff like this many times before...
Yet the general consensus has been a mixed blessing, considering that some parts are not easily obtained elsewhere, many attempt it simply because of limited choice.

I'm staying away from DX but that's a personal opinion, I'm not going to pull it over anyone else. I think this thread should be better placed in the jeer section of CPFM...but for the sake of simplicity it might be better suited in the Cafe instead :grin2:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think this belongs here - it belongs in the 'Jeers' section of the Marketplace. My own experience over a couple years with DX and 34 orders has been very good save one small item. I always suggest that when getting anything from DX to just order ONE item at a time since it's free shipping - seems to avoid problems in a number of ways. Two out of 3 times that there was a problem it was taken care of - only one problem I didn't pursue went unresolved - a bare LED damaged in shipment.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
IBTL :D

I have only bought one light from DX and it works fine, but I now buy all my lights from other sellers and avoid certain brands of lights.

I only buy parts from DX now, for the reason Illum mentioned - parts availability.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the more experienced members - the ones that built/modded their led lights be4 Fenix, Jetbeam, ..., entered the market - would have told You that the price of the lights at DX (and its competitors) is lower, than when getting them in parts and build a light.
And that this can only be achieved by reducing quality.
That most of the chaper lights should only be considered as hosts for own projects

... sure, every time I typed this, there were a bunch of ppl who got a single light there and - surprisingly - it worked.
(also sure they have no clue on finish, "feel", materials used, electronics, tint, overall quality to be expected, ...)
These are (mostly) crappy lights for extremely low price, if they survive the 1st few rounds of use, are good for lending them around and such.

If You had planned to get a Lenser, then You are in a totally different price region, and here the much better option were lights from respected makers like Jetbeam, Fenix, ...

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not big on buying finished products (eg, entire lights) from DX and expecting them to work. Why? The long turnaround time if there's a problem (weeks of shipping if you have to send stuff back etc).

I use them as a cheap source of "spare parts" or supplies for modding or projects. Or I'll buy simple stuff like keychain lights, or simpler items like that. On some items, where DX may be 5x cheaper, or better, for almost the exact same thing, I will buy say 3 -- keep the best item, and use the rest as a source of spare parts to fix any problem that may arise myself.

As a general store to buy working lights however, that you intend to use as finished products (rather than tear apart and use for some project) I would generally not recommend them. I'd order from USA for the faster postage and genreally higher QC if I ever think I may need to send something back.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
and i found your thread.. in it you talk about modding a light so i guess many presumed that you actually are capable to tackle some simple problems like non working light, if you are able and ready to mod it.

also in that thread there was mentioned several times other brands thought as better suited for you as a beginner, also considered "better" options than ledlenser and dx lights.

brands with actual model numbers: fenix, jetbeam, eagletac and mention of go see a 47s site too for more options.. there was even said that similarly priced solarforce l2 is better option than the ultrafire.. (i agree on that too.. as L2 is pretty much direct copy of expensive surefire and is well liked in cpf)

but you chose the ultrafire anyway.

and then you somehow ordered not enough batteries? hows that possible? it says on description how many u need in minimum: "UltraFire WF-1000L Cree MC-E (BIN K-WC) 2-Mode LED Flashlight (2*18650/4*CR123A)"

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any bad experience ordering from DX so far. Till date, they have delivered only one faulty multimeter which I emailed them with photos and they immediately sent another new working one without the need to return the faulty set. They have also left out a drop-in in my order which they immediately rectified upon my reminder. All my orders are at least above 4 items per purchase so far. I think the risk is worth it FOR ME because there are things I can explore with the vast quantity of stuff they're offering. Besides, for all the "cheap" image, they are some gems to be found. Do I hear get Jetbeam, Fenix and Nitecore instead? Well... DX also carries them.... :laughing:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have also only ordered one complete light from DX, and I probably will not order one again. Like others, I use DX and KD for parts and batteries (apparently the 2400 Mah Trustfire 18650 cells are about as good as any that can be bought in the US).
If I buy something like a lens or a metal reflector, there is little chance that it "won't work," simply because it doesnt do anything; it just reflects light.

Status
Not open for further replies.