Changing SF E2D LED to a Single Stage?

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not without swapping on a new head. (Or cracking the head and swapping in a new driver.)

Illum

Flashaholic
The only LED head that resembles the E2DL is the KX2C...which is quite expensive and I don't believe they make them in black.

Board swapping might be the only option unless there's third party heads like TLS[?] that can fit it

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might try posting in the Homemade and Modified section to get the attention of some modders.
I believe the low mode uses a resistor that could possibly be changed to match the high mode. I'm not sure how it actually works, but my understanding is that the difference between the single stage E2DL and the Hi/Lo version is that the single brightness one did not have a different resistor for low, so it was technically a Hi/Hi, giving the same brightness(where a tap would have changed it on the dual mode version).
I will try to find a link to where I read that.

edit: another option, and one that I would like for allowing the use of rechargeables, would be having the converter changed to a Downboy for use with 2xR123, or a GD for use with a 17670.

Last edited:

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Only the L1 and L2 use resistors in the tailcap to get a low mode. The other dual mode heads use the circuit in the head to control the modes.

There was a version of the E2DL with a single mode which had a different circuit - maybe you could work out a trade. Your other option is a board swap.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only the L1 and L2 use resistors in the tailcap to get a low mode. The other dual mode heads use the circuit in the head to control the modes.

There was a version of the E2DL with a single mode which had a different circuit - maybe you could work out a trade. Your other option is a board swap.
Ah, CJ. I may have confused that with you telling me about the possibility of changing the resistor in the L1 tail.
The thing about changing the resistor in the board on the E2DL may be speculation.

I searched(and searched!), and this may be where I got that from:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2835037&postcount=7

edit: "may", my word for the day. How many consecutive sentences can I use it in?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The only LED head that resembles the E2DL is the KX2C...which is quite expensive and I don't believe they make them in black.
It is my understanding that the KX2C is available in Black HA as it is intended for the ScoutLight (which is Black HA), and that the KX2C is not available in natural HA.

If you are tempted to get a KX2C I suggest you check out the VTAC-L4 which is a whole flashlight based on the M600C ScoutLight's KX2C and Z68 substituting the MH60 for a Black HA E-Series body.

Paladin

Enlightened

For the record, the KX2C I got from OpticsHq is black. I'm not sure why the 2-stage E2DL is a problem though. I have both, and the utility of the lower output second stage is more helpful than the simplicity of the single high output KX2C.

Paladin

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
Ah, CJ. I may have confused that with you telling me about the possibility of changing the resistor in the L1 tail.
The thing about changing the resistor in the board on the E2DL may be speculation.

I searched(and searched!), and this may be where I got that from:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2835037&postcount=7

edit: "may", my word for the day. How many consecutive sentences can I use it in?:rolleyes:

You 'may' have heard about the board resistor from me. I was explaining that the value of the sense resistor could be changed, as has been done before with the KL1 board for example, but then not only would the high be changed, but the low would also be changed because there is only one sense resistor and the circuitry just applies a 'multiplier' to the drive current for the low. In this case the 'multiplier' is of course fractional and not >1. Thus, I believe the low is accomplished by current regulation and not by PWM.