**SOLVED** ...someone to do Novatac emitter swap

Brizzler

Newly Enlightened
I was going to do this mod myself and have already bought the K2TFFC I would like to use. However, despite my best efforts and having even bought an additional tool I have not managed to remove the retaining ring in my 85P's head. So rather than resorting to more force or radical methods of getting at the stock LED, I think it is more sensible to let someone else handle this.

Should be pretty straightforward really for anyone with some modding and opening-flashlight-heads experience. I would even consider sending the light off just to have the back of the head opened cleanly so that I can do the mod. Would prefer the modder to be in Europe for ease of shipping - I'm in the UK. Ideally modder should be able to fit this tiny job in over the next month.

I'll post the light and LED, can even provide thermal compound if wished. Will obviously cover return shipping (via PayPal) and am willing to pay a small fee for time/effort.

Any offers/takers, let me know...post here or send PM. Thanks! :wave:

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Looking for someone to do Novatac emitter swap

Loctite .... PITA

Have you tried applying heat to the head ?
Boil in a plastic zip-loc bag.

I have had two Novatacs, one required just hand pressure to unscrew
the other, I resorted to using a blow torch before it would budge

Brizzler

Newly Enlightened

Loctite .... PITA

Have you tried applying heat to the head ?
Boil in a plastic zip-loc bag.

No, that sort of treatment is what I meant by "more radical methods" - the sort of thing that I'd like to leave to others with more experience of these things...
Thanks for advice anyway! :thumbsup:

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,

Would prefer the modder to be in Europe for ease of shipping - I'm in the UK.

I best modder I know of in that part of the world is Freddy (Icarus). I'm sure there are others but Freddy is someone I can/would highly recommend anyday!

Brizzler

Newly Enlightened
Just to let you know: I've actually now solved the problem! Following some advice from tx101 I was convinced I had the right tool for the job and so had another go at battling the loctite - and won! (The trick turned out to be to use one hand to force the pliers apart into the retaining ring notches and the other to twist - not trying to do both movements with one hand.) So I should now be able to do the mod myself, now that I have access to the LED...

Thanks a lot for all the advice guys, especially tx101! :thumbsup:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs

Thanks to your thread Brizzler, I now have some K2 TFFC on the way
and will be doing the exact same mod :D

BenjiBot

Enlightened
If you - or anyone reading - finds themself with this problem, don't be wary of the blowtorch method. It really works well and is nothing to be anxious about (well, not too anxious).

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you - or anyone reading - finds themself with this problem, don't be wary of the blowtorch method. It really works well and is nothing to be anxious about (well, not too anxious).

I have a saying .... "when in doubt, get the blow torch out" :p

comes in handy for removing emitters from stars as well :devil: