My new M2 SureFire

Willieboy

Newly Enlightened
Received an M2 Centurion today that will stand guard with the C2 Centurion. The M2 I received is the newer version which, I understand, is somewhat lighter than the original. Nevertheless, the M2 is certainly a husky rascal. The head is really beefy compared to the C2.

The legofying options for the M2 are much more limited, as compared to the C2, so I guess I'll leave this light stock and just consider it a heavy duty, go anywhere flashlight.

Last edited:

BIGLOU

Enlightened
Re: New SureFire

I just got mine today too that will also be keeping the peace with my C2 and other SF lights. I just need the M4 Devastator to complete my Millineium Series. I'm thinking about dropping in the Malkoff and adding the Z58 clicky for sure.

Last edited:

Willieboy

Newly Enlightened

Hi BigLou,

From what I've read here on the CFP, the Malkoff dropin in the M2 might cause a problem because, as I understand it, the M2 head doesn't dissipate heat very well, due to its thickness. I have no experience with this...just thought I'd pass it on.

The Z58 sure sounds like a great idea. I'll be going that route too.

GreyShark

Enlightened

I run an M60 in an M2 bezel, it is not a problem. Much of the heat goes right out the front and the Malkoff dissipates heat through the body of the light. You can feel it get warm at the shoulder and then the heat travels up the bezel. If anything the M2 bezel acts as a big heat sink for the flashlight's body.

I do believe the SureFire P60L could have a problem at least in theory because the P60L does not dissipate its heat through the body.

The M2 is a C2 with a factory lego'ed M2 bezel. You can do anything with it you could do to a C2 or 6P. Even add an A19 for 3 cells. Since the M2 is shock isolated it would match well with an incan drop in. I like the D26 Sunlight and it would work great with 2x IMR 16340's and a WA1111, of course the runtime is very short. A P91 on the same batteries would be very bright also and have a little better runtime. I haven't tried the Lumens Factory drop in's yet but they're said to compare well against the SureFire lamps and are available in a variety of ratings.

The M2 is one of the best looking SureFire's in my opinion. I liked mine so much I tried out the C3. Then I liked the C3 so much I sold the M2. I do miss the M2 from time to time though, it is a good little light.

BIGLOU

Enlightened

Thanks for the info. Grey shark. I dont mean to thread jack but since we are on the subject. I was thinking about getting the Malkoff M60 from Ebay from a seller elzettadesign (USA company also make other weapon accessories) has anyone bought their M60 from these guys I didnt see any negative feedback but just saw that it's no longer on Ebay maybe they will relist it. Anyway I saw that there was a beryllium washer of some sort recommended for the M2. thats why I was convinced it would work. I'm only going to use it in small bursts anyways and not worried about heat too much.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was thinking about getting the Malkoff M60 from Ebay from a seller elzettadesign (USA company also make other weapon accessories) has anyone bought their M60 from these guys I didnt see any negative feedback but just saw that it's no longer on Ebay maybe they will relist it.
You can order directly from elzetta as well. (Or Malkoff, or flashlightconnection, etc.)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
:twothumbs

I use my M2 as an 7.4 Volt incan host and it works great. I use this cheap drop in... from ebay seller hkequipment
Oh snap!! I just realized I grabbed the wrong item off ebay.

Here is the Module I am currently using.
dscn1583a.jpg

dscn1582.jpg

dscn1581t.jpg

dscn1580e.jpg

Its in the 100 lumen ballpark (ceiling bounce estimate comparing it to my P60 and P61), and will run for ~20 minutes off ~500mah RCR123 cells.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
kramer, how do you compare the output of that lamp assembly to a P90? That is generally what I use, with two IMR16340s.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The reflector of an LED drop in will not make good metal to metal contact with the bezel of the M2, and that is by design. No real problem using incan LA's, but not the best heat sinking for LED drop ins. I know that some are reporting ok results with the full power M60, but it is still not the best setup for that Malkoff. Better the C series bezels. Nothing to be upset about, just the way it is.

Bill

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought one myself. I swapped out the stock tailcap for a Z48 clicky. The barrel of the tailcap has a larger diameter than the M2 body and is longer than the stock tailcap and this really balances out the bezel's bulk.

I personally like the stock P60 LA thats the reason I got a M2.

My M2 is big and bulky compared to a C2 but it is quite arguably my best looking light.

Get a Z48, you won't regret it!

Willieboy

Newly Enlightened
Congrats Kelmo. I'm still using the stock P60 as well. I still have the original tail cap though. I've placed my light in a Maxpedition Fatboy's pouch and the lockout capability seems valuable in this pack because the light does go on when the velcro strap is closed over the flashlight.

I just bought one myself. I swapped out the stock tailcap for a Z48 clicky. The barrel of the tailcap has a larger diameter than the M2 body and is longer than the stock tailcap and this really balances out the bezel's bulk.

I personally like the stock P60 LA thats the reason I got a M2.

My M2 is big and bulky compared to a C2 but it is quite arguably my best looking light.

Get a Z48, you won't regret it!

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
... so I guess I'll leave this light stock and just consider it a heavy duty, go anywhere flashlight.

...and that's exactly what it is! :p Congrats on your newly acquired M2. Even though I don't use mine nearly as much as a lot of my other lights, I don't think I'll ever part with it. One has to hold one in his or her hand to appreciate it...it feels like a tank. I don't think I've ever held a 2-cell light that feels as solid and robust as the M2.

-Robert

Last edited: