DIY Maintenance: Arc-LS Kroll tail switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
DIY Maintenance for the Arc-LS Kroll Switch.

We have found the Kroll switch (actually made by a US company called Judco) is a fairly reliable switch. But like all mechanical components, it will eventually require service.

The Kroll switch is fairly easy to work on and good results can be achieved with simple tools and just a little bit of effort. Following is a description on how to service each part:

Body Spring

The most common problem that occurs with the switch has to do with the body spring.

kroll4.jpg

This spring is responsible for contacting the body of the flashlight. The remainder of the switch connects the negative contact of the battery to the flashlight housing via this spring.

There are three symptoms caused by problems with this spring:

1. Switch fails to stay latched on when operated.

When pressing the switch the light may or may not come on as long as the button is depressed. However, when the button is released, the switch fails to latch on (stay on).

This is usually caused by the body spring catching 1 or 2 coils over the plunger. The spring should always be entirely below the plunger. Typically, this problem is a result of installing the switch into the flashlight body while the switch is in the latched (on) position.

To fix this problem, you will need a small screwdriver or other metal object to coax the top of the spring away and beneath the plunger. Reinstall the switch into the flashlight while the switch is in the off position. This can be observed by looking past the body spring and making sure the plunger is not pressed against the spring.

2. Light flickers when in the latched position.

This can be caused by several problems including the body spring. If the body spring is the cause it is usually because the spring is either not providing enough tension or has become fouled.

To retention the spring, remove the spring from the switch and stretch it out slightly.

Removing the body spring: This is accomplished by using a small flat screwdriver to push the spring down (away from the rear of the switch) and slide it out. The spring should pop out fairly easily.

If the problem is fouling, see #3.

3. Light does not come on at all, dim or flickering.

Check the battery and battery contacts. If those check out, the body spring may be the culprit.

I have observed sufficient fouling on a body spring to cause the light to be completely dark. The fouling is a black residue on the spring and plunger caused by electrical arc. A quick fix is to simply remove the spring and put it back in upside down so the metal contacting the plunger is fresh. You can also spin the plunger to a non fouled side by rubbing a screwdriver bladed against it. This will cause both contacts to now be fresh and free of fouling. This fix alone has changed a light that would not light even dimly to 100% full function.

With practice, this fix can be done in the field with no tools whatsoever.

kroll2.jpg

Main Spring

The main spring is responsible for making contact with the negative terminal of the battery.

Typically, this spring doesn't complain much. I have seen it experience only two problems, corrosion and detachment.

Detachment is when the spring somehow pops free of the switch. The symptoms are the batteries are loose and the light does not work. Once you find the spring, it can be popped back into placed with firm pressure.

Corrosion is usually light on this spring. So far I have only seen minor cases that could easily be scraped off with a pocket knife or file.

kroll1.jpg

Core Spring

I have not seen any issues with this spring yet. It may experience fouling on top part of the spring but I am yet to see this occur. The fix, if that did happen, would be just to scrape it off.

Rubber Boot

The rubber boot is fairly durable. I have known some of them to be punctured (usually by way of a pet chewing on it). The light will still work but the waterproofing will be compromised. The best fix is to simply replace the boot. We provide free switches (you pay the shipping) upon request.

When installing the switch, make sure the rubber boot is completely tucked in and snug between the two parts. If it loose, the light will leak around the boot.

Success!
kroll3.jpg

General Care

The nylon threads do not require lubrication. We do not recommend you use any because it may foul the body spring.

Care should be taken when installing the switch as to not strip the nylon threads. Clear the metal threads of any debris before installing the switch.

It is normal for the switch to flicker while you are pressing the button. This is usually the motion of your finger being translated to the contacts. However, the switch should not cause the light to flicker once the button is released.

Sometimes the LS will flicker when transitioning from sun mode to moon mode. This does not indicate a bad switch.

We provide free lifetime replacements of this switch to all Arc flashlight owners. Please send us an email at [email protected] with your request. Please note that due to the size of the switch there is a shipping charge required.

Please let us know of any recommendations for this tutorial.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Please let us know of any reccomendations for this tutorial." - Peter

Good and simple tutorial! Sticky post!

Hey that's the cutie valentine's light again! Clean your hands after servicing your lights! Peter you really got no idea what's photogenic!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Vince.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great info Peter! Now i know how to clean my tailswitch like the pros do...even though i'll probably never have to do it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif With all the past anxiety over the reliablity of the Kroll switch, i have yet to experience any flickering or degrading with my TSP. But, having this information around may come in handy...in the FAR future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Peter, is the Kroll reliable when led draws higher amperage, as in mods to LS, which I know void warrenty. Can switch handle 1 amp, or should mod include heavier duty springs to handle current? Just a question of interest concerning durabililty of kroll. Thanks, Bill

Mednanu

Enlightened
Many thanks Peter !

My kroll switch demonstrated every single symptom that you had described within this writeup (it went through each phase one by one). I hated the thought of being w/o my ARC and am so busy with work it would have even been hard to just package the switch up and send it back for service. After a reading this step by step how-to, it only took a minute or so to restore complete functionality to the switch !!!

:)

[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said :
Core Spring

I have not seen any issues with this spring yet. It may experience fouling on top part of the spring but I am yet to see this occur. The fix, if that did happen, would be just to scrape it off.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm seeing signs of fouling not just on the core spring, but on the main contact washer attached to the switch's plunger as well (I use my ARC a lot)

Now I'm wondering if anybody knows of some type of 'goop' that I could place over the springs & washers to keep them from fouling in the future, now that they are in good working condition again ?

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
I just picked up a can of 2-26 made by CRC which is supposed to prevent corrosion and such, $4 at a local hardware store. Not sure if it works but guess I'll find out. I remember someone recomending a product called DeOxit in another post.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
TheFlashlight said:
I just picked up a can of 2-26 made by CRC which is supposed to prevent corrosion and such, $4 at a local hardware store. Not sure if it works but guess I'll find out. I remember someone recomending a product called DeOxit in another post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had good results from deoxit. Switches, springs etc seem to remain clean longer than with other contact cleaner sprays, though that's just my general impression, not a controlled measure.

Brightnorm

Mattman

Enlightened
There's one additional piece of information that I think is important here - how to remove the Kroll in the first place. It simply unscrews out of the back of the battery pack. I know, it seems trivial to those of us who've done it before, but for new people it's kind of puzzling to look at it and try to figure out how the heck it's held in there. I know I wasn't about to experiment with my new light and I had to search for quite a while before I found an obscure reference to unscrewing the Kroll switch , so I thought it might be helpful to stick in this thread.

briteguy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mattman,

That was my exact question.

As long as the switches on my LSH-S and LSHF-P last at least as long as a regular 3-D mag or 2AA rebel (will they?) that will take away the anxiety that one day I would find my LSs not working (deep breath...).

I love this this kind of product support!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

CNC Dan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mednanu said:
Many thanks Peter !

Now I'm wondering if anybody knows of some type of 'goop' that I could place over the springs & washers to keep them from fouling in the future, now that they are in good working condition again ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a goop that is made for electrical connections that use aluminuim wire. I remove all springs and use a Q-tip with the end snipped off to apply a small dab to the internal ring contact, and all the springs.

This has cured and prevented flicker in all of my Kroll equiped lights(12).

Peter: contact me via E-mail if you would like a sample of the goop I use. It may make a great quality improvement to an already great light.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Doing research on a flickering Kroll and drudging up old posts...

Tell me more about this stuff! Is there something available at the Hardware Store or Home Depot that will help?

I have one Kroll that has been FLAWLESS for some time, and one that has been flakey for longer!

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
PBJS- Check out Caig ProGold , I use this stuff on all my personal Krolls and every Arc LS mod that I do, and it seems to work very well. I know that MR Bulk used CPB on all the VIP Krolls too, and I don't hear much about them being problematic. You should be able to pick up the pen at your local RatShack.

Peter

vortechs

Enlightened
LitFuse said:
PBJS- Check out Caig ProGold , I use this stuff on all my personal Krolls and every Arc LS mod that I do, and it seems to work very well. I know that MR Bulk used CPB on all the VIP Krolls too, and I don't hear much about them being problematic. You should be able to pick up the pen at your local RatShack.

Peter

Radio Shack currently has a clearance sale on the Caig Laboratories DeoxIT and ProGold pens. They are very reasonably priced, but it is getting hard to find a RS store that has any of the pens left. I would encourage CPF members to call their local Radio Shack and go stock up if they have any of the pens left.

(besides, this thread needed a bump anyway)

Status
Not open for further replies.