Niece picked out a Bolt for her first

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have given each of my neices and nephews their first decent flashlight, not counting toy etc, for their first trip, usually some kind of camp. My 15 yo niece was over for the week and left for a two week church camp in Michigans UP. So it was her turn and I showed her the lights at Target, and some of my own and she picked a 2 AAA Inova Bolt I had so I put in some frsh batteries and gave her a 4 pack of Battery Junction Industrial AAAs for spares. Actually a favored small light of my own which I will definitly replace. I think she made a good choice, decent output, good run times, the rubber grip which makes for about the only light I will put in my mouth and bite, and a very nice pocketable size she should be able to keep track of.

At first I tried to talk her into an Inova X5 because of its various attributes, one of which being great runtimes. But she likes small things and wanted the Bolt :) .

Moka

Enlightened
Great choice...
I was about the same age when I got my first LED 'Real' torch...
The original version of the Inova XO with the TIROS system... :grin2:
Then I wanted something brighter, and here I am... lol
I wonder if your niece will find CPF... :crackup: I'm sure she's getting plenty of nudging in the right direction from you...:whistle:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a 2 x AA is a better choice in a lot of ways, but I do own a L0D and even though it only contains a single AAA cell it is still a great little light. I would imagine that the 2 x AAA Bolt would be slim enough and light enough to slid into a pack or pocket and be fairly unobtrusive. Definitely a big light you leave behind will be much less useful than a smaller light you bring with you (though the batteries will last a long time in the light you leave at home :laughing:)

Good on you for getting your niece onto a quality light - even a non-flashaholic that only owns one or two lights is better off with something reliable that works well.

Now that she has the Bolt there are some more lights she will need:

A single cell probably 1 x AA for a nice short light that she can fit in smaller pockets or a bag.

A bigger light with more run time for around home - 2 x AA lights are pretty useful for that.

A L0D or similar for a keyring (or at least a fauxton of some sort)

etc

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I had a cool Uncle like you growing up! You set her off into the right direction my friend! :goodjob: