OP reflector for mag D sized P7.

Forgoten214

Enlightened
Ok I am looking for a metal OP reflector for a D sized mag P7.

I searched and found this thread.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/231341.

Ok what is the difference between the cam and camless? I am new to Mag builds and I recently just purchased one and it has the stock reflector. Will I need to cut it? Any thoughts, Those of you who have P7 mag-lites please chime in and let me know your thoughts.

Thinking of getting this,

http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=5632

but if it doesnt work I dont want to be out of 15 dollars.

Thanks in advance,

Jay :devil:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on what you are doing, this might work. It says it is designed for P7's, but the hole does seem a little small.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use a stock reflector if you cut the cam off it. You can sputter it yourself to even out the beam (do a search here for "Krylon").

If you decide to buy a reflector, the KD reflector that Mjolnir referenced above is the one to get. Great beam!

Forgoten214

Enlightened
You can use a stock reflector if you cut the cam off it. You can sputter it yourself to even out the beam (do a search here for "Krylon").

If you decide to buy a reflector, the KD reflector that Mjolnir referenced above is the one to get. Great beam!

Yes the stock reflector that came with it is Mag OEM reflector. The beam picture is ugly though. Huge donut in the center. Allot of rings. Makes the P7 mag look hideous. I was looking to maybe get an OP metal reflector and maybe smooth it out abit.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the focus is off. I have a couple P7 Mags. One has a stock reflector with the cam removed, and while the beam's not pretty on a white wall, it's not nearly as bad as the one you describe. And, mine's fine outdoors.

My other P7 Mag uses the KD reflector, and the beam is very, very nice. There's a slight donut at very close range, but beyond a couple feet, it's gone. Very floody, yet still decent throw.

Forgoten214

Enlightened
Sounds like the focus is off. I have a couple P7 Mags. One has a stock reflector with the cam removed, and while the beam's not pretty on a white wall, it's not nearly as bad as the one you describe. And, mine's fine outdoors.

My other P7 Mag uses the KD reflector, and the beam is very, very nice. There's a slight donut at very close range, but beyond a couple feet, it's gone. Very floody, yet still decent throw.

Really? What KD reflector are you using? I'm not sure what the deal is with the reflector I have but it sure is really ugly. At any distance more than 10 yards. the beam is so out of focus most of the light seems to be useless as it causes a ring the size of an automobile at that distance.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depending on what you are doing, this might work. It says it is designed for P7's, but the hole does seem a little small.

That is the one that I used and it half of the price. You can use it as is or drill it out some to make it more adjustable.

The beam with it unmodded is very acceptable. You do have to cut the lip off of the bottom of the reflector after you remove the brass pill and shave some of the outside of the reflector to make it fit perfectly in the mag head.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator

Forgoten214

Enlightened
Does anyone else besides KD make Mag P7 reflectors? I'm looking for something that I wouldn't have to modify that would be specifically designed for the Mag P7.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Does anyone else besides KD make Mag P7 reflectors? I'm looking for something that I wouldn't have to modify that would be specifically designed for the Mag P7.
The reflector is specifically designed for the P7 but not specifically for a maglite.

I only have access to hand tools, but by placing a file in the vice and then rotating the reflector as it's dragged across the file it's possible to get a good result and I think it has a far better beam than stippling the standard Mag reflector. You end up with a very nice look to the light as well IMHO and no donut.

magall.jpg
magfront.jpg

Last edited:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a better option http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=1844 used with any of the Mag P7 heat sinks available on the forum, you will have to take a few mm. of the top edge otherwise the bezel won't screw right down, but you can use it as is.
Norm

+1

That's the same one I used, nice beam... being impatient I used a bench grinder to modify they the upper lip/ring :devil:

Forgoten214

Enlightened
+1

That's the same one I used, nice beam... being impatient I used a bench grinder to modify they the upper lip/ring :devil:

Does the OP reflector take out allot of the throw? Will I still be able to throw a beam at least 150 meters?

Latest posts