Coast 7533/2 AA Camp Light

Skyeye

Enlightened
I was in Academy today and as usual I was attracted to the flashlight asile where I spotted a unique Coast 2AA. They had a 1/2 off sale on certain lights including this one so I took the bait.:sigh:

It's called the Camp Light with diffuser bar. It's all aluminum save for the lucite bar, has o ring gaskets and a front 2 stage waterproof switch. Press lightly for momentary and hard for stay on. It uses 2AA's for an engine and 3 Nichia LED's up front without the ubiquitous "Lenser" they are famous? for. There is no actual collimating lens and the Nichias are just sitting there like naked eggs in a tiny basket. The package claims a 43 hour run time on alkalines. IMHO, half of that would be good for 2AA's driving 3 Nichias. It draws 1.6 watts.

Well, I got it home away from the bright store and into a dark 20X20 room to test it out. The very white LED's have a decent throw for a 2AA with moderate spill. With the lucite diffuser bar attached it easily lit up all the walls of the room. In a smaller space like a tent or camping trailer, it would be more than adequate. It has the trademark LedLenser holes around the bezel and comes with a really nice 2 pocket case with belt loop and handy carabiner.

I'm wondering if there are any other flashaholics who have this light and would certainly appreciate their opinions. So far, I like it. It will be good for hurricane evacuations where personal articles are best kept to a manageable size. Oh, is it as rugged as a 2AA maglite? Ehhhhhhh, could be doc!:thinking:
sized_P1010001-1-9.jpg

DaveG

Enlightened
I have one but its the older model that uses 3- N-cells,that are a pain.I wish mine was the aa type like yours.I keep mine as a back up for emergency room lighting,it does not get much use due to the cell size,and when I loose power I go for a lantern first.That said it is a neat light tent/camping use in the aa model you have.The build is not bad but the Mag is a more finished product I think,I have quite a few Coast and Mag products and like them both.Good luck with it.

Skyeye

Enlightened
Thanks Dave! Now that I have used it a few days I am enjoying it even more! It is very light weight as carried in shirt pocket. I went on a dog walk with it last night and I am impressed by it's brightness. No, it's not focusable but has a brilliant white beam that allowed me to look up into 30 foot trees with ease. After about 5 hours of on/off use it's still nice and bright. This thing is just a bit larger than my led penlight but much much more powerful. It may turn out to be my EDC until something else strikes my fancy. :naughty: