Duracell Updates and Catagorizes NiMH Cell Line-Up

Bones

Enlightened
Based on recent revisions to their website in the United Kingdom, it appears that Duracell is updating the appearance of their NiMH cells.

It also appears that they're attempting to steer consumers towards a particular type of NiMH cell based on its anticipated usage:

-
Noting that the bracketed insertions are mine, item 18 of the website's rechargeable FAQs provides additional clarification:

What is the difference between the 3 different types of rechargeable battery?

Endurance (Active Charge) range: Once charged, power stays available for use, there's more life per charge, they're convenient, and pre-charged so ready for use immediately.

Performance (Supreme) range: Best for frequent use consumers who take a lot of photos at once.

Value (Standard) range: Can be recharged more times than higher capacity batteries.
From what little additional information is available, it appears that what was their 2000mAh low self-discharge cell will now be called the 'Active Charge' cell, and their high-capacity 2650mAh regular NiMH cell will now be the called the 'Supreme'.

What's really intriquing though, is that what they're now calling their 'Standard' cell is actually their low-capacity 1700mAh standard NiMH cell.

It seems they've decided to capitalize on a fact that is well-known to members of this forum, being that low-capacity regular NiMH cells are vastly more reliable and robust than their higher capacity siblings.

Could Duracell actually be moving towards conceding the capacity war in favor of rechargeable cells that won't fail their customers within a very few months?

It almost seems too ethical to be true...

Burgess

Flashaholic
Whether they call them "Active Charge", or something else . . . .

WE are still gonna' call 'em

DuraLoops

:devil:

(that is, if they have a white plastic cap, and are Made in Japan)

_

MonkRX

Newly Enlightened
Could Duracell actually be moving towards conceding the capacity war in favor of rechargeable cells that won't fail their customers within a very few months?

Whats even funnier is that Duracell is almost admitting that their supreme series is the least durable of the bunch... only being able to be charged "100's" of times, versus standard line which can be charged up to 1000 times... :p (LSD has the same 100's claim, however).

Either way, Duraloops are expensive o_O

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Apostrophe misuse makes me cringe even in random forum posts, let alone in official announcements from big brands. *shudder*

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think one can accept 100's rather than 100s. The use of an apostrophe in that case does comply with generally accepted rules of written English, wherein one use of an apostrophe is to join together two parts of a word that are not normally found next to each other, or to mark an abbreviation as is also the case here.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Bones,

Perhaps someone who reads CPF got hired at Duracell... :)

We should all send them an email congratulating them on finally catching up.

Tom

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to revive such an old thread but I HAD to. :eek:

Did no one notice the pink non-sunglass wearing energizer bunny in a duracell themed copper/black outfit? :cool:

That is hilarious! :crackup:

Bubu

Newly Enlightened
So those are the Duracells you guys talk about?

I thought we dont det them here in Oz but we have those here.