any flashlights able to be used as a lamp for the garage and a "thrower"?

tracerit

Newly Enlightened
i knwo i'm asking for a lot but i'm curious if there's a flashlight, don't really need it to be compact, that i could use at night for camping or looking into the backyard, and sometimes i would need a bright lamp for working in the garage at night where i have a puny CFL 15feet away. or any recommendations for what type of lighting i should go with?

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Re: any flashlights able to be used as a lamp for the garage and a "thrower"?

How high is your budget?

lumenosity

Newly Enlightened

A "D" cell LED maglite might be an okay option with long runtime. It will work fine for the camping/outside thing. It will also work in a pinch for area lighting by unscrewing the head and using it in "candle mode"...

for the garage though lots of light is important and more than a maglite can provide. That's pointing more toward a lantern

henry1960

Enlightened

Fenix L1D Would work great for the garage and your buget.
You can adjust it from 12,53,107 and 120 lum. if needed :twothumbs

Toaster

Enlightened

Imho you're better off getting a separate lantern for extended use. You can pick up the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme from Lowes if you have one nearby.

Rexlion

Enlightened

Almost any flashlight will make a "puny CFL" look bright by comparison in a garage. The exception might be a 500-700 lumen P7 or MC-E emitter (like my MG PLI, unfortunately out of stock right now). I agree it would be better to have a separate, much brighter solution for the garage. In my garage I keep a 2-mantle Coleman propane lantern; it will light up everything. Come to think of it, I never take the lantern for camping, but you could... it's made for camping, after all. (I used to use it when I tented, but now I have an old Burro travel trailer.)

The other thing that comes to mind is this: if your puny CFL is an ordinary medium base light, you could replace it with a 40W,55W, or 85W screamer from buylighting.com . The 40W produces as much light as a 150W incan, and the 85W at 5500 lumens is equivalent to a 340W incandescent bulb... or about 8 PLI MC-E's. :drool:

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast

You would probably be better off with two separate lights. But if you want only one, some LED throwers can stay on with the head removed, for a 100% flood light that you could attach overhead somehow. The Tiablo A9 does this, but I don't recommend it because of build quality - maybe Tiablo's A10 also does this (I know it is built better).

Gary123

Enlightened

Your criteria are fairly exclusive of each other.

There are a few lights that zoom from wide to narrow beam, but you will not get as nice a flood as with a dedicated flood, which is best for indoors.

The LensLight Mini is a decent little flood with a fairly nice zoom to throw for a small light. It was available with 3 output levels, or only on/off. Beautifully made and beautiful to look at and hold. I just sold one for $130. These were from a limited production run and were recently delivered to their advance purchasers. They are sold out and are a little hard to find.

Another decent option would be the Led Lenser P7 - an OK flood, and a very nice zoom to spot for very nice throw. High and low outputs. The low is a very decent low. Sells for around $100 new, but there is a listing now somewere on CPF for the tactical version (T7) for around $60. If you want that light but not the tactical version, or the tactical version has sold, you can pm me. I might part with mine. Its a cool light though, I like it. Runs on 3 or 4 AAA's sitting side by side so the handle is a bit large in diameter. Its not a light for a small pocket.

Rexlion

Enlightened

Yes, the Lensers are nice. I have the H7 headlamp and like it very well. Someday I wouldn't mind having a P14.

filibuster

Enlightened

+1 for using the Rayovac SE3DLN Sportsman Extreme Lantern as a garage light. It's compact and yet sturdy and will run about 70 hours on three D cell batteries or a dozen or so with three AA NiMH cells in a AA to D battery adapter sleeve.

You could also add a white diffuser wand/tip to a Fenix L2D which makes a good lantern in the higher modes and a good thrower without it.

I have bought in the past a few "combo" lights that have a flashlight with a small cold cathode CFL lantern built into the body. The problem is that these type of lights don't do either throwing or lanterning very well.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think your looking for two things a flashlight and a lantern. Or like mentioned above a Fenix LD20 or L2D with a diffuser.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened

The Tiablo A9 is one of the best throwers out there and also has a head that unscrews and it can be used as a lantern. It isn't very stable on its tail, but it can tail stand and it puts out an amazing amount of light when you pull the head off.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would say something like an HID spotlight (with an AV adapter so you could use it plugged in) with a diffuser, which would give you a lot of range, as well as a very bright work light. However, this is the LED section. Therefore, you might be able to achieve a similar effect with a P7 (possibly with a diffuser), although you will have nowhere near as much throw as an HID. The problem is that most of the "throwy" lights are only single die, so they aren't really bright enough to light up a decent sized area when diffused. Perhaps a multiple reflector light like the Eagletac M2X would work (I believe they have a diffuser coming out soon).

youreacrab

Enlightened

thats how i use my TK20. on low, add the diffuser cone for a lantern while working on the car. on hi, diffuser off and a nice throwy beam. natural tint too.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Tiablo A9 is one of the best throwers out there and also has a head that unscrews and it can be used as a lantern. It isn't very stable on its tail, but it can tail stand and it puts out an amazing amount of light when you pull the head off.

WOW! Thanks!!!! although this means I could be burning through some primary CR123s. :sssh:

importculture

Newly Enlightened

Hands down jetbeam's jetII IBS non-pro if you can find one. Bugoutgearusa doesn't seem to have them anymore. Throws well with the head screwed down and is all flood with the head removed. The led is completely uncovered for a full 180 degree flood. Good output too. Runtime is adjustable through the IBS UI. Can not recommend this light enough. I bought a ton of these and still have not found a light as versatile as this.

Last edited: