KX2C Head vs. X Upgrade

Doru

Newly Enlightened
I carry an E2E w/ an incandescent bulb. I've been wanting to upgrade it for a while. There doesn't seem to be an simple way to do so.

I've read about a possible C or E series Malkoff drop in on the horizon, but believe I'll need to get a new bezel.

Recently was turned on to the idea of getting a KX2C head as an upgrade.

Pros / Cons? Will the end price be about the same?

Can someone with more insight please set me straight?

Thanks,

Drew

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want to go Malkoff with your E2E, you'll have to get an E to C adaptor and a Surefire C bezel, or a VME head. With everything, there are pros and cons to each option, but the end price will vary pretty much depending on which choice you make. The VME thing will cost around $80-90 no matter what, and you can only use Malkoff dropins. The E-C adaptor combo price will depend on the aftermarket price for the C bezel, and you can run whatever dropin you want, but it will be larger than the other two options. The Kx2C is going to cost the same everywhere.

I know this might be confusing, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Drew - I recently acquired a KX2C for my aging e2e, and I love it.

Pros: doesn't add a whole lot more weight & length to the light, stupidly bright, matches my HA-BK e2e :)

Cons: only one mode (if you're looking for 2 modes - I'm not for this particular light).

George1

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a KX2C head for a E2e several months ago - WOW what a difference! It really takes the E2e to another level. I don't mind the single level output.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I recommended one to my brother which he ended up getting. He's mighty impressed after having been and E2e user for years. He was ready to sell all of his incan stuff at that point and I had to remind him of a few incan benefits so that he didn't. In any case it made a big impact and I don't think he could be any happier with it.

flip

Enlightened
Drew, if I understood correctly, Malkoff is coming out with a replacement head that accepts his drop-ins and fits on the E series lights.

I recently picked up a light with a Ganp body and tailcap and a SF KX2 head. It is a 2 stage head and is fairly bright on high. It is nowhere near as bright as the TLS led heads I have. The TLS and the Malkoff heads are going to be fatter than the stock head but much brighter.

I have a 2 cell TLS head for sale in the Marketplace. But, my suggestion to you would be to first check to see if your E2E body will accept a 17670 battery and then get a 1 cell TLS led head. My single cell TLS head doesn't put out quite as much light as my 2 cell TLS head but my 2 cell doesn't seem to run at full power on 1 battery. The newer ones may be different. Anyway, that would give great power and pretty good run time.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Another option is to get an Optics HQ / TLS head. The head houses a Q5 LED. A bit longer than the stock LED head, the TLS head is quite a bit less expensive than the KX2C head. Beam is better too. You get a nice combination of both throw and flood with the TLS head. (220+ lumens). Some CPFers have mentioned that the KX2C lacks sidespill.

Available for both 1 and 2-cell E-series Surefire lights. I liked mine so much, I bought a 2nd one. My main EDC is a black-bodied E2E w/ E2D tailcap and TLS head. If anything happens to it, I have a similar set-up at home.