Anyone have experience with the Fenix P1D Q5

dmattaponi

Enlightened
I recently decided to buy a small led pocket light. I have a few Surefires, included the E1e, but I wanted to try an LED type light. I couldn't find a conversion for the E1e, but while searching I stumbled upon the Fenix P1D Q5. Not having any experience, or knowledge of the Fenix brand I I decided to take a chance and order it. I received it yesterday, and it seems to be a pretty decent light.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with this light, and can speak concerning the quality, longevity, durability, function, etc., of this particular flashlight. My first impresssions are very good, but it would be nice to hear from people who have had time to really evaluate this light. I did find one review on flashlight reviews. Thanks for any feedback.

ilLUMENati

Newly Enlightened
I've had it for over six months now, and use it as a key chain EDC. It's very reliable and the build quality is what you'd expect from Fenix, good. I do however find that the 65,264,641,531,641 different settings becomes very tedious to cycle through, especially with a twisty.

After some long term use, I've determined that it's not a very good keychain EDC light. Key chain lights work best if they can be turned on with just one hand, and I find that the P1D is normally a two hand operation for me (except when freshly lubed). So after about six months, I decided to go for a clicky light.

My current EDC key chain light is a dereelight C2H Q3, nice warm light with a simple forward clicky interface and just three simple settings. It's larger by about a quarter of an inch, but that's a difference that I haven't notice when I carry it.

Unfortunately, you made the mistake of asking about a light after purchasing it (it's ok, I do it too), elsewise I would have pointed you towards the Lumapower IncenDio V2. It's even cheaper than the P1D without the funky cornucopia of superfluous settings and a less than ergonomic UI.

Bushman5

Enlightened
GREAT LIGHT! fyi, there is ONLY five (5) settings, and its VERY easy to cycle thru each setting. Top notch quality, materials, price point and light output.

10/10 rating. :twothumbs

lightsandknives

Enlightened
In my opinion, they're great lights. It's certainly a light that is always in my rotation of lights. My son has had one on his keychain for a many months now and loves it as well. As for me, I prefer a twisty to carry in my pocket. I've had clickys turn on many times in my pocket, but never a twisty. You should be very happy with it.

Really, the two modes I use the most are the 95 lumens (as soon as you turn it on), and the low (16 lumens). I rarely use turbo as it's not that much brighter, and it really cuts into your run time.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Thanks all, for the comments. I think I'm going to like this light. I had some mixed feelings about the twisty cap, but I'm glad to hear that it works well for pocket carry. I didn't really get it as a "tactical" light, just an edc flashlight. I like the brightness and the quality of the beam. Glad to hear that others are satisfied with this model.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The question back at you is what Fenix model do you plan on getting next?

Glad you like it Fenix is a great light their so many good models makes it tough on the old wallet.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's a great light! I have a couple or 3 or 4.

It's probably the only CR123A light I've seen yet that I would consider suitable for a keychain. Although I've never carried it that way.

I've used the non Q5 for quite a while, but switch to Silver Q5 (not available any more) and a Leef Body with clicky switch for my main P1D. I don't use it enough anymore though, I may convert it back to twisty. Although I cave a Natural, and a second silver in twisty to play with, not to mention some black ones somewhere. So you can see I like them.

The beams on mine are very nice and the output is awesome, even non-Q5, for EDC.

Enjoy! Great Light!

dmattaponi

Enlightened
The question back at you is what Fenix model do you plan on getting next?

Yes, that is the problem. I'm already tempted by others. The P2D, TK11, and PD30 in particular have caught my eye. For now I just wanted something really small that I didn't really notice, that could be in my pocket all of the time. My Photon doesn't really cut it when you need something very bright, and although the E1e isn't bad I really wanted to try an LED. The P1D seemed to fit the bill nicely, although I really would have preferred a tail cap switch with momentary on-off.

I've used the non Q5 for quite a while, but switch to Silver Q5 (not available any more) and a Leef Body with clicky switch for my main P1D. I don't use it enough anymore though, I may convert it back to twisty. Although I cave a Natural, and a second silver in twisty to play with, not to mention some black ones somewhere. So you can see I like them.

Reassuring to read that some people like the light so much that they've bought multiples.

Marduke

Flashaholic
You can get the Leef tactical body for the P1D for a momentary switch.

You can also get the P2D or PD20 and swap out the reverse clicky for a forward clicky.

Marfenix

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to let you know that I regularly switch my EDC flashlight (Fenix only) from P1DQ5 to PD20 to P2DpremiumQ5 to LD01ss. Every flashlight has it's own charm!

TCW 60

Newly Enlightened
Mine is sitting in the drawer because there are too many settings for a twisty.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd be embarrassed to say how many of these i currently have. it is easily one of my favorite lights.

a keychain twisty has the ergonomic advantage of being able to reach into one's pocket using a normal overhand grip (i.e., with the light facing forward/thumb-side-of-the-hand) and upon removing it from the pocket having it point forward in the direction you would want to use it. a clicky requires that the hand and forearm first be rotated/positioned to allow the light to face forward after removing it from the pocket.

of the several P1D's that i currently have, only one is a bit difficult to turn. this one is easy enough to turn ON, but more difficult to perform the cycling to change modes (putting this second brightest (third, overall) of my P1D-Q5's on another natural body makes it far easier to turn; so, it appears to be a body tolerance issue, i.e., just a tad too tight). all of my others twist quite easily, making mode changes a simple matter - even for a klutz like me.

i think of the P1D as a three mode light (i ignore the strobe and flashing modes at the tail-end of the mode-change sequence and never really have had a need for them). IMO, YMMV, those blinking modes are really non-obtrusive since they reside at the end of the mode-change sequence after the three levels of constant output.

Marduke mentioned the Leef body with McClicky tail switch. I have one (purchased at Lighthound dot com). It is very nice and i'm glad i purchased it. It does make mode changes easier and faster than twisting. However, keychain twisty's are, IMO, just more ergonomic and so the clicky body doesn't see as much use.

-----------------------------------
[Note: the real reason why i have several is that my very first P1D-CE was a real WINNER in terms of brightness (using 20-20 hindsight, it obviously came from a higher bin). It actually took five additional P1D-Q5 purchases to get one which was brighter than that very first P1D-CE - hence, the reason for having several. that first P1D-CE head is currently on the Leef custom clicky body.]

Blinding

Newly Enlightened
Had my p1d q5 for almost a year now; on a 2nd battery now. I was dithering between it and an L0D. Still love it.

Yes, because it is a twisty, it can be difficult to use one handed. I can turn it on with one hand but it doesn't always stay on which can lead to it cycling through all the modes.

I love being able to cycle to low which is plenty of light for most applications and gives long run times. For me the twisty is about reliability. I read too many posts about switch failure and have had enough of them fail on me. I don't want to be in a situation where I "click" and have nothing happen. Size is also important as that button is going to add an extra cm. Also an extra place where water can leak in.

I see a lot of hype about the newer lights all of which are bigger and not any brighter. Still happy with my p1d q5.

wings

Newly Enlightened
The P1 series has to be my favorite. I have the P1, P1D, P1D-CE and the P1D-Q5. For smaller size lights I prefer a twisty and find these perfect. And I am contemplating getting more of them before they totally disappear from the shelves.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
who knows Fenix might come with a replacement of the P1D using different emitter such as XPE-R2.
I still love mine with Leef body,but to make it compact i regularly use it in its stock tube unless during rainy days.

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
Perfect form factor. I have a soft spot for the P1D-CE Q5, lost my first one on a business trip, and quickly replaced it with another. If it were not for the SF E1B which is now my EDC, I'd still be carrying mine. I now have it in my survival kit, but bust it out every now and again. It still wins as best size-to-light output-to-cost ratio in my books.

dmattaponi

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the comments, I enjoyed reading them all. Comforting to know that there are so many fans of this light, and there doesn't seem to be any regular functional problems with this model.

a keychain twisty has the ergonomic advantage of being able to reach into one's pocket using a normal overhand grip (i.e., with the light facing forward/thumb-side-of-the-hand) and upon removing it from the pocket having it point forward in the direction you would want to use it. a clicky requires that the hand and forearm first be rotated/positioned to allow the light to face forward after removing it from the pocket.

Hadn't really thought about it, but you're right.

Well, I had a chance to really use the P1D Q5, last night while fishing. The creek is located in a rural valley with no street lights, so it was completely black other than a small campfire, and a lantern. During the time we fished, and after extinguishing the fire upon quitting for the night, I had a number of opportunities to try out the light. I was very impressed with the amount of light this little flashlight puts out. It completely illuminated the area, and I can't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't find this light adequate. The only area that concerned me a little was the very thing I like most about this light, it's small size. It is so small and light that I felt like I could easily drop it. Since I don't plan to carry it on a keychain (instead in my pocket), I think I'll use the key ring to attach a small piece of paracord. That way I can just wrap it around my wrist when in use. Anyway, after my experience last night, I feel very comfortable knowing this light is in my pocket for EDC. The Maglights, and Surefires stayed in the house last night, while the tiny Fenix rode in my pocket freeing up my hands for other things (funny, it wasn't all that long ago, throughout the 1990s, that I regularly carried a 4D cell mag light on my night time fishing trips). Now if it proves to be as durable as my Surefires, I think I have a new favorite.

Last edited:

lightsandknives

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the comments, I enjoyed reading them all. Comforting to know that there are so many fans of this light, and there doesn't seem to be any regular functional problems with this model.

Hadn't really thought about it, but you're right.

Well, I had a chance to really use the P1D Q5, last night while fishing. The creek is located in a rural valley with no street lights, so it was completely black other than a small campfire, and a lantern. During the time we fished, and after extinguishing the fire upon quitting for the night, I had a number of opportunities to try out the light. I was very impressed with the amount of light this little flashlight puts out. It completely illuminated the area, and I can't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't find this light adequate. The only area that concerned me a little was the very thing I like most about this light, it's small size. It is so small and light that I felt like I could easily drop it. Since I don't plan to carry it on a keychain (instead in my pocket), I think I'll use the key ring to attach a small piece of paracord. That way I can just wrap it around my wrist when in use. Anyway, after my experience last night, I feel very comfortable knowing this light is in my pocket for EDC. The Maglights, and Surefires stayed in the house last night, while the tiny Fenix rode in my pocket freeing up my hands for other things (funny, it wasn't all that long ago, throughout the 1990s, that I regularly carried a 4D cell mag light on my night time fishing trips). Now if it proves to be as durable as my Surefires, I think I have a new favorite.

That's exactly what I do. I have a small commercial lanyard with a quick connect that I use on mine. That way if I don't want it on for some reason, it just snaps off. I think I bought the lanyard from Lighthound.

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's exactly what I do. I have a small commercial lanyard with a quick connect that I use on mine. That way if I don't want it on for some reason, it just snaps off. I think I bought the lanyard from Lighthound.

I too have a P1D and love it.. the color is perfect for accurate depictions at night.

Speaking of "just snapping off"
I use 4sevens "lobster claws" for all my lights and keychain toys.
My keychain has gotten so big, I have several scenarios of assortments I need for different occasions without wanting to take my whole keychain assortment.
One for my tiny swiss knife, one for my PId, on for my boat keys, one for my car "only my car" , one for my laser, etc etc. ....when going out with dress pants I don't want to look like I'm packin!

They are very strong and worth 5.00 IMO.

Seems they don't have a pic on their website so I included my own.

2claws.jpg

lobsterclaw.jpg

Last edited: