Malkoff MD4 Wildcat

gsxrac

Enlightened
Just wondering if anybodys heard from Gene about these? I just checked the website and theres now a comparison video showing a Regular mag, mag drop-in, mag p7, M60 dropin and, yep you guessed it, and MD4 running 2X 18650! Anyone else have any more information on this?

Last edited:

SilentK

Enlightened
Re: Malkoff MD4

i saw it about 3 days ago. thought nothing about it. i assume that it is using a p7. or it coulb be like the md2, but bigger and with the mc-e droppin.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast

It seems to be a 2 18650 host, sort of like the MD2. I assume that Gene was simply running his MC-E dropin in it.

I mentioned the MD4 already in the Malkoff MD2 thread, and there is a "discussion" (more like wild imaginative speculation) of sorts going on there.

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast

A few people know about it, but I believe it is only right to wait until Gene releases all the info on it.

I will say this, no one has guessed exactly right yet, and it will be an awesome light. but you knew that!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

Called the man today and spoke to him about this one and a few other things.
I am not going to spill the beans about the MD4 either but it is a winner for sure and I will have to get one.

I will say that it is awesome to have that many lumens going for that long!
:hitit:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pics are up on the Malkoff site.
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_21&products_id=70
Looks like the body/tail will be available separately(for $45!), and is compatible with the MD2 head, which as of yet isn't available separately.
http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=23_21&products_id=69
The bad news is that the tailswitch is still a Kroll.
The good news is that the tailcap is SF compatible:thumbsup:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast

4 R2's will have great throw. I know his Malkoff Tripple Q5's have some serious throw. It would be good to see which one performs better. I already know the Tripple makes over 100 lumens out the front, but considering beam quality, spill, and throw would be nice to view.

gsxrac

Enlightened

Thats thing looks mean! I mainly want it to run A M60 on 2 18650's and toss in a high-low bezel ring :faint: Perfect camping light!

dirtech

Enlightened

I'm in for the md4 body when the separate md2 heads are available. I'd like to occasionally use a mce drop in with it. Think it would make a great camping light.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast

the MD2 and 4 both use Judco Switches.

This new MD4 "Wildcat" is the one that Gene had told me about a while back and I said he should have his own integration sphere for testing it and know how much power he can pump through it and keep the output stable. You will notice his write up on this unit says 550 measured out the front lumens. He has a sphere system I set up for him specifically to get good measurements. You can see the beam pattern on his website video home page. Its very impressive. With a 10 degree beam pattern its going to put a lot of that light down range. Current draw will be reasonable for good run time, and with the 2 mode ring, you got a nice useable low level probably in the 30 lumens range so this will be a very handy all around light. It will take any of the Surefire 6P compatible tail cap switches. Its going to be a nice system, no donut holes in that beam pattern. G.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Gene the Wildcat prototype he has made over 600 out the front, but he is using the readings once the LED warms up for more realistic output.

Since this MD4 bezel will run on 2 rechargeables and fit the MD2 body Gene has just created the first ever 6P size flashlight to break the 500 out the front barrier at over 600 peak lumens and 563 warm lumens. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

He did mention it would make the same lumens with MD4 and MD2 hosts because it is regulated and at 1.6A with 2 rechargeables I know my IMR 16340's will handle it very well.

Last edited:

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Would the MD4 have advantages over the Eagletac M2XC4 -3xQ5's, 2x18650, 500+lumens, 6.5" Length, 1-1/2 hrs on turbo. Or the WolfEyes Storm - 3xQ5's, 3x18650, 500+lumens, 6" Length, 2hrs on turbo?

Brightnorm

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, it sure looks a lot more compact, and simpler. Those are good things to my mind. I'd rather buy a Malkoff light than a WE or Eagletac, personally.
It's made in the US, too, and you get to deal with the Malkoffs vs. a dealer or overseas company.
MD4 body uses the Judco switch.
the MD2 and 4 both use Judco Switches.
Judco is the switch's manufacturer. The Kroll switch. I know Gene has had Judco modify the switch to handle higher amperage. Don't know if anything has been done to increase the reliability of the switch, though. These have a long history of contact problems, though stretching the small negative contact spring, and wrapping the threads in a layer of aluminum foil have worked as fixes for many.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would the MD4 have advantages over the Eagletac M2XC4 -3xQ5's, 2x18650, 500+lumens, 6.5" Length, 1-1/2 hrs on turbo. Or the WolfEyes Storm - 3xQ5's, 3x18650, 500+lumens, 6" Length, 2hrs on turbo?

Brightnorm

I think the MD4 running those 4 Q5's at such low current keeps them cool and you would get 500 plus lumens for over an hour fully regulated.

Plus, The MD4 is lego with the MD2 body for a 6P size 500 plus lumen light. Additionally; it takes "C" series tails:twothumbs Malkoff is very customer oriented and I know if anything went wrong he would make it right in no time.

Latest posts