Help finding a white+red flashlight!

Chronoknight

Newly Enlightened
I've been shopping around for a new flashlight, and after coming across some reviews here, I was hoping to solicit your help.

I need a flashlight that is...
- $30 or less, up to $50 if it's REALLY worth it
- at least white and red lights (I'm in the Navy, I need red for night use)
- uses common batteries like AA (compatible with rechargeable)
- pocket size, light weight
- clip preferable (for attaching to a ballcap as a head light), but not a deal-killer

The only ones I've been able to find so far, like the S&W Galaxy 13 and Coleman Max use three AAA, which according to some threads here is a bad thing because it starts to loose brightness very soon. Is this really a serious issue?

Thanks for your help!

Yapo

Enlightened
+ 1 for Proton Pro
- < $50
- bright cree XR-E led for white light + a 3mm red led(brightness of both can be adjusted down to very low for night/dark + extra strobe/beacon/sos modes for both colours)
- uses 1 AA
- Small, compact and lightweight
- Has a great long clip for pocket carry but its the wrong way up for attachin to a cap

Great review and discussion here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/182920

Burgess

Flashaholic
Yep !

4 responses so far,

and we all recommend the excellent LRI Photon Proton Pro.

:twothumbs

Oh, BTW . . . .

Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:

_

Last edited:

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
How do you adjust the brightness? This light is on my short list of lights to buy sounds very nice!! Thanks!

PhantomLights

Newly Enlightened
The Proton Pro seems the obvious choice, but personally I'd go for a light like the Surefire G2 or 6P and a red filter. Solarforce sell colored filters for these lights quite cheaply (as well and decent clones of the Surefire 6P). I suppose the batteries are then an issue...

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Another vote for Proton Pro - this is a much better option than using filters.

Putting a red filter in front of a white LED is a very inefficient way to get red light. I have both setups - a Proton Pro and a Solarforce L2 with the red filter, but the Proton gets by far the most use. The Solarforce filter fits behind the bezel so you have to unscrew it if you want to change colours - not that convenient.

As mentioned above, on the Proton you can easily vary the brightness and instantly switch from white to red light - and it uses AA batteries (including rechargeables), is small and light and has a great clip too (although it does point the wrong way for clipping to a hat).