NEW-Dereelight DBS aspherical lens!

maxilux

Enlightened
Dereelight Collimator Head

I see in the market place there comes a Collimator Head for the Dereelight DBS and CL1H, how will it work with the MCE pill ? i think i must see it.

mcbsteve

Newly Enlightened
DBS has a new Aspherical Lens. I have a DBS MC-E. I have seen beamshots of other MC-E's with Aspherical and it seems like you can see each die in the beam. Just wondering if I could get advice on the usefulness of these?

Thanks

mcbsteve

Newly Enlightened
At Dereelight.com I just ordered mine!

It's under "what's new" and it was added June 25, 2009.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will increase the amount of throw greatly while nearly all the spill light will be eliminated. You can get an idea of the beam characteristics from the following thread since all aspherical LED lights produce the same general beam shape.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202045&page=2

Exactly. It uses a 50mm lens, so it will be pretty much the same as other aspherical lens based flashlights. The Dereelight pills drive the LED at 1.2 amps, so a DBS or CL1H with the apherical lens will be a bit brighter than aspherical lights that are driving the LED at 1.0 amp or less. :) It won't work with the MC-E pill, though... results in four separate die images, and only 25% of the throw compared to a Cree Q5 or R2 LED. Will also work with the warm LED's, should be interesting to see... I'll find out tomorrow! :grin2:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also loose up to 40% of the lumens when using an Aspheric with only 1 lens. (as tested by MrGman)

AbleArcher

Newly Enlightened
You've never heard of it but we have lots of cows
The Dereelight website has a single beamshot using an MC-E pill http://www.dereelight.com/as_lense_guide.htm although it looks like it was taken at pretty close range. I'd be interested to know what kind of useful pattern (if any) it produces over longer distances.

I'd also be interested to know how the DBS R2 version compares to the Tiablo A9 aspherical in terms of sheer throw.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dereelight website has a single beamshot using an MC-E pill http://www.dereelight.com/as_lense_guide.htm although it looks like it was taken at pretty close range. I'd be interested to know what kind of useful pattern (if any) it produces over longer distances.

I'd also be interested to know how the DBS R2 version compares to the Tiablo A9 aspherical in terms of sheer throw.

The MC-E beam is way down on the throw... I'm measuring around 12,500 lux @ one meter. With the R2, I'm getting about 65,000-70,000 lux @ one meter. The MC-E beam is interesting, but not particularly useful in my opinion. The Tiablo A9 w/aspherical lens measures about 55,000 lux on my meter. At 5 meters, the Dereelight is measuring a bit higher than the A9, but in side-by-side use outdoors, they're practically identical.

lightforce2

Enlightened
The Tiablo A9 w/aspherical lens measures about 55,000 lux on my meter. At 5 meters, the Dereelight is measuring a bit higher than the A9, but in side-by-side use outdoors, they're practically identical.

I have a Tiablo A9 fitted with an R2 WH emitter driven at 1600ma - 1400ma, this gives a visualy much brighter beam than the standard Q5 WC emitter driven at 1000ma.
I'm hoping I can mod my dereelight to a similar performance level, even though I realy only have use for one aspherical light:)

HKJ

Flashaholic
Got the light, fits nicely in with the rest of my Dereelights. I bought the head together with a CL1H (That was cheaper than using a DBS as base), now I just need some darkness and time to test it out together with my other aspheric light.

DSC_5939.jpg

DSC_5944.jpg

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MC-E beam is way down on the throw... I'm measuring around 12,500 lux @ one meter. With the R2, I'm getting about 65,000-70,000 lux @ one meter. The MC-E beam is interesting, but not particularly useful in my opinion. The Tiablo A9 w/aspherical lens measures about 55,000 lux on my meter. At 5 meters, the Dereelight is measuring a bit higher than the A9, but in side-by-side use outdoors, they're practically identical.

What would you say this gains the DBS in terms of useful throw? Another 100 yards? Would it be more or less than that? If it is a significant gain in throw it could be more useful for coyote hunting at night, although at the loss of spill and total output.