Fenix TA-20

john10001

Newly Enlightened
I just wondered if anyone got the TA-20 instead of the TA-21 and whether its rotating dimmer switch is noiseless?

On some of the websites I've looked at it seems to suggest that TA-20 may be more suitable for military use and TA-21 for civilian? I have read Chanjyj review of the TA-21 and it seems it makes a lot of noise turning the dial for the different output levels and the full click on makes a lot of noise too.

Would love to hear from anyone who got the TA-20 and what their thoughts are.

Cheers,

John

davidt

Enlightened
I believe the TA20 and TA21 uses the same mechanism so I would bet the TA20 makes noise also. I haven't heard the TA20 to be more suitable for military.

Anyways, I ordered the TA20 on the 25th. The status of my order is still "processing". I'll report back whether or not the TA20 makes noise when the dial is rotated.

chanjyj

Enlightened
I just wondered if anyone got the TA-20 instead of the TA-21 and whether its rotating dimmer switch is noiseless?

On some of the websites I've looked at it seems to suggest that TA-20 may be more suitable for military use and TA-21 for civilian? I have read Chanjyj review of the TA-21 and it seems it makes a lot of noise turning the dial for the different output levels and the full click on makes a lot of noise too.

Cheers,

John

John, from my experience the TA20 uses the same ring as the TA30. The TA21 is slightly different in the sense it can turn 360 round.

Both mechanisms though, are noisy as each other. However, note that when I say noisy, I'm speaking in military terms. It is not as bad as you might think it be. Just a "click".

Btw, in my thread I never mentioned if either one is more suited for military/civilian. To me, the TA20 is just a TA21 with less features. It is not more.. "civilianised".
If you are considering whether to get the TA20/TA21, definitely go for the TA21 - the TA20 cannot use 18650 batteries (not sure if I mentioned this in my review)

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
Ah, so it is the circuit that's the problem on the TA20. I assumed it was the physical dimensions of the tube.

Thanks

chanjyj

Enlightened
Ah, so it is the circuit that's the problem on the TA20. I assumed it was the physical dimensions of the tube.

Thanks

I've never handled the TA20 - I can't tell you if it's the circuit or the dimensions.

Eg the TK11 and TK10, the look so damned alike you would think it's the circuit (actually, it's the dimensions).

davidt

Enlightened

Cheers,

John

Nah, the rotating ring isn't loud. I would say the click when changing modes on a TA20 is moderately quieter than the tail switch clicking on. And the clicks of the dial is higher pitched than the noise the tail switch makes. The sound of rotating the ring is much quieter than the clicks the dial makes when engaging the modes.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
from handling TA30, TA20 and TA21, TA30 is the loudest and stiffest of the 3. davidt is right, the tail clicking is louder than ring rotating.

18650 won't fit TA20 as it has a thicker body tube than TA21, the wall thickness is comparable to TK20, while TA21 is similar to TK11.

I found that the 360 D revolving ring of TA21 is a little smoother than the 120 D of TA20.

strinq

Enlightened
This thread brings up a good question:

Is there any light out there that have a noiseless switch? I mean a push switch, not a twist. And I mean to turn it on fully, not momentarily.

Zainal Abidin

Newly Enlightened
It is confirm TA20 could not use AW18650 due to dimension. The wall is thicker. I just went to the shop before deciding TA20 or TA21. 18650 could not fits into TA20. I brought my own 17670 to test at the shop (with his permission) and the battery can goes in and function well.

So I bought TA21 instead. It can use both 18650 and 17670

davidt

Enlightened
It is confirm TA20 could not use AW18650 due to dimension. The wall is thicker. I just went to the shop before deciding TA20 or TA21. 18650 could not fits into TA20. I brought my own 17670 to test at the shop (with his permission) and the battery can goes in and function well.

So I bought TA21 instead. It can use both 18650 and 17670

What kind of shop sells the TA20? I didn't know any BM stores carried fenix, much less the TA20. It would be really cool if the TA20 ran regulated with 17670 cells.

Zainal Abidin

Newly Enlightened
What kind of shop sells the TA20? I didn't know any BM stores carried fenix, much less the TA20. It would be really cool if the TA20 ran regulated with 17670 cells.

I stay in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia. There is a local store near my place stocking all Fenix, Nitecore, Tiablo & Olight. I can test the items before purchase.

john10001

Newly Enlightened
Nah, the rotating ring isn't loud. I would say the click when changing modes on a TA20 is moderately quieter than the tail switch clicking on. And the clicks of the dial is higher pitched than the noise the tail switch makes. The sound of rotating the ring is much quieter than the clicks the dial makes when engaging the modes.

Thanks for all the responses. So just to confirm with the TA-20...

It has a mode dial which just has the four modes instead of the numerous of the TA-21. Then you have a dial for the dimmer varying between 4 and 225 lumens?

It's the dimmer dial that I was wondering about the noise when you turn it.

On the fenix-store site it does suggest in the info that the TA-20 is more for "the hunter, shooter, and gun fans" and "the ideal flashlight for military use, both weapon mounted and hand held." For the TA-21 on the same site it just says "very suitable for outdoor sport fans , weapon fans, and hunters." It seems that both make noise, but perhaps not as much noise from TA-20 due to less mode options?

I think an ideal torch would be one as already mentioned by strong with a silent push switch. Doesn't have to be on the base of the torch but on top is okay. You could even have one with silent momentary on as well as pushing it all the way to fix it on permanently. Mode dial.. Not sure how they would make a silent one with similar design but I'm sure there's some innovative ppl out there working on it.

I think the TA-20 sound like pretty good value for anyone that doesn't need all the different mode options and fixed brightness levels offered by the TA-21. Ten US Dollars cheaper almost. How any modes do we really really need? I'm sure thinking about it maybe quite a few people besides me would be happy with low, medium and high mode plus dimmer too. With dimmer you can have it however you want. I liked the specs for TA-21 when I first saw them and everything about it except maybe report of the noise, but now I think about it, TA-20 is I believe the much unsung under-rated model? I'm seriously thinking of getting the TA-20.

John

fletcher

Newly Enlightened
I received my TA20 about a week ago, and so far I'm happy with it. I opted for this over the TA21 as I am new to this type of flashlight, and didn't feel I needed the flexibility of another battery type, and felt that 4 positions on the ring would be simpler to operate than the 12 on the TA21.

Your original question seems to have already been answered above, but the selector ring is slightly quieter than the tail switch. As for the brightness options, the selections are set at good levels.

So far, I have only two problems with the light. First, the strobe is much too fast for my liking (guessing 10+ flashes per second). Second, "turbo mode" only lasts about 30 minutes, much less than the advertised 1.5 hours. However, this could be a result of my batteries (Tenergy rechargeables).

chanjyj

Enlightened
Thanks for all the responses. So just to confirm with the TA-20...

It has a mode dial which just has the four modes instead of the numerous of the TA-21. Then you have a dial for the dimmer varying between 4 and 225 lumens?

It's the dimmer dial that I was wondering about the noise when you turn it.

On the fenix-store site it does suggest in the info that the TA-20 is more for "the hunter, shooter, and gun fans" and "the ideal flashlight for military use, both weapon mounted and hand held." For the TA-21 on the same site it just says "very suitable for outdoor sport fans , weapon fans, and hunters." It seems that both make noise, but perhaps not as much noise from TA-20 due to less mode options?

I think an ideal torch would be one as already mentioned by strong with a silent push switch. Doesn't have to be on the base of the torch but on top is okay. You could even have one with silent momentary on as well as pushing it all the way to fix it on permanently. Mode dial.. Not sure how they would make a silent one with similar design but I'm sure there's some innovative ppl out there working on it.

I think the TA-20 sound like pretty good value for anyone that doesn't need all the different mode options and fixed brightness levels offered by the TA-21. Ten US Dollars cheaper almost. How any modes do we really really need? I'm sure thinking about it maybe quite a few people besides me would be happy with low, medium and high mode plus dimmer too. With dimmer you can have it however you want. I liked the specs for TA-21 when I first saw them and everything about it except maybe report of the noise, but now I think about it, TA-20 is I believe the much unsung under-rated model? I'm seriously thinking of getting the TA-20.

John

The fact you can use 18650s in the TA21 is enough for me to spend the extra on it :twothumbs
of course, it got mine free...

chanjyj

Enlightened
I received my TA20 about a week ago, and so far I'm happy with it. I opted for this over the TA21 as I am new to this type of flashlight, and didn't feel I needed the flexibility of another battery type, and felt that 4 positions on the ring would be simpler to operate than the 12 on the TA21.

Your original question seems to have already been answered above, but the selector ring is slightly quieter than the tail switch. As for the brightness options, the selections are set at good levels.

So far, I have only two problems with the light. First, the strobe is much too fast for my liking (guessing 10+ flashes per second). Second, "turbo mode" only lasts about 30 minutes, much less than the advertised 1.5 hours. However, this could be a result of my batteries (Tenergy rechargeables).

Fenix calculates runtime on CR123s and not RCR123s.