I've had it with the D10 clip!

Crimson

Newly Enlightened
Since installing the clip on my D10, I've had nothing but problems with it. Fortunately it's never been an issue to install the thing. First off, as most D10 owners know, the allen wrench that comes with the clip kit sucks. It's either the wrong size or the metal is too soft. Once you get the screw slightly tight it starts to slip and it's very easy to strip out the screw head. Once I realized this, I just used my leatherman pliers to tighten the screw.

So, the clip is tight and everything's good right? Wrong. A week or so later and the screws started backing out. Unfortunately I didn't notice it early enough and the screws got stripped due to the light being moved back and forth in my pocket all day while walking around. Out comes the backup set of screws (thank you Nitecore!). I installed these with a bit of blue Loctite, intent that they will never come out again. TWO DAYS later and the SAME problem!!! Now all four screws are stripped out and I suspect that the backing plate is also. I'm too frustrated to look at it right now to make sure.

I know a lot of people love it, but this clip design just seems like an afterthought. Not only does it not come with the light, but you need to mess with the backing plate which is a pain! It would be much more user friendly to have holes machined into the light during manufacturing. I imagine they would be stronger and they would certainly be easier to use.

What do the venerable members of this forum think? Am I nuts or did Nitecore screw the pooch with this clip?

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
After only a month or so the clip to my d20 got snagged onto my car upholstery ... and ripped right off taking some upholstery with it.

I don't miss it (literally and figuratively).

I'm actually not that happy with the d20 atm anyways since it's seemingly lost it's high mode ... and the high mode did not seem appropriate anyways since it seemed dimmer than my old Fenix l2d-ce on high.

I've been putting off contacting 4sevens to make it right ...

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
My D10 clip is tight and has been that way since I put it on there. And I got my clip when they were first released. No Loctite, nothin'.

By chance, you didn't bend (flatten) the attaching bracket part before mounting did you? It needs that extra tension to keep the screws from backing out.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
By chance, you didn't bend (flatten) the attaching bracket part before mounting did you? It needs that extra tension to keep the screws from backing out.

:ohgeez:
I've not install mine yet. Good tip. :D

jblackwood

Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your problems, Crimson. I hope they get worked out somehow. My D10's clip has stayed put as well without the use of anything but the included screws, backing bracket, and clip. It does seem to me like an afterthought, but to me it seems well-designed. Stylistically, it clashes a bit with the light's overall aesthetic, but hey, it's no McGizmo.

crizyal

Enlightened
I've had my clip on mine for about 4 months now. Installed with loctite and pre-bent the top a bit. It is very sturdy and I have no fear of it coming off. It would have looked way better if it was anodized to match body though.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about your problems!

Ive had no problems so far on my Ex10, and the clip has taken on some oxidation so it now looks like, a dark- gunmetal kind of colour, almost like some sort of brushed stainles steel. Fortunately, i think it suits the light

Crenshaw

oldpal

Enlightened
I haven't had any problems with either of the clips for my D10 or my EX10. Sorry that you are having problems.

Hugh

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still no problems with mine at all. I only bought it to add anti-roll, but I've ended up using it as a clip. It's the only flashlight who's clip I use.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had no problems with my 2 EX10's. The clips went on without stripping and have stayed on without lock-tite. My clips were from the first batch mailed.

Last edited:

Igor Porto

Enlightened
No problems here. Once I got the right allen size, all went smooth and it's been tight for a couple of months.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had no problems with mine to date and I really like it! Sorry your having problems!

Crimson

Newly Enlightened
My D10 clip is tight and has been that way since I put it on there. And I got my clip when they were first released. No Loctite, nothin'.

The first time I installed it, I did not modify anything. Just put it on as it came from the package with the supplied screws. The second time, I did bend the clip a little more to fit the light better (got lucky and got it perfect with one squeeze from some channel-locks). Since it did last longer the first time you might be right. However, I did add loctite the second time too. I'm going to look at the backing plate tonight to see if it's stripped out too. I can't imagine why else it would come apart so quickly.

I ordered another clip from 4sevens last night. Hopefully this one will serve me well. I really don't like carrying the light without the clip, I like that the light stays out of the bottom of my pocket which keeps away the majority of scratches.

Rexlion

Enlightened
I wonder if the clip could be attached with rivets. No way for them to back out.

I thought about getting a clip for my D10 but don't really like the appearance that way. So I put a tiny split ring in a hole and I can attach a carabiner to that, then clip the biner to my belt loop. If I feel in the mood to use something with a clip, I have a different EDC I can take.

I hope your new one stays put. Maybe the loctite again? Oh wait, better yet, get out the welder... :naughty:

Inliner

Newly Enlightened
I'll chime in that my D20's clip gave me some problems. When I finally thought I had the screws tight, it snagged on my seatbelt and ripped the screws right out of the backing plate. 4 Sevens shipped out a replacement asap thankfully. As much as I love it I'm looking at demoting the D20 from duty cary in favor of something better....

Crimson

Newly Enlightened
What actually finished off the clip the second time for me was after the screws backed out, the clip caught on my seat belt and got ripped off. It seems we have a pattern here. A clip that is ripped off with relative ease isn't much good is it?