What's the smallest 5W luxeon mod with good throw?

d'mo

Enlightened
What\'s the smallest 5W luxeon mod with good throw?

Just curious, What's the smallest 5W luxeon flashlight with good throw? Details please (battery type and quantity, direct drive or step up, battery life, mod base, etc.) How does it compare to an incandescent of similar size?

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s the smallest 5W luxeon mod with good throw?

Currently the only easily available 5watt LS based flashlight I can think of is the Elektrolumens Blaster VI (runs on either 3x CR123 or 6x AA batteries).
Simply run on 9V direct drive (with just a little resistance to protect the LS).

Surefire and Streamlight have 5watt LS based flashlights in the pipeline and you could also look at the InRetech Helios (3x 5watt drop in module for the 6D Maglite)

Probably the brightest single 5watt LS in existence is Mr Bulks Space Needle II (2C Mag converted to run from 3xCR123 batteries).

Oh and as you asked about a small 5 watt light, take a look at the Microdragon
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

i'm not sure how well the nexneedle can throw...

your best bet would be to cut down a dcell mag, use 2 123's, a bb750, and a mag reflector.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

The NexNeedle has too diffused (and quite useful, I might add) a beam to throw far enough, although it's sheer light output's enough to put it up favorably with a Blaster VI in throw and brightness... Both cannot beat the Space Needle II, however, in throw...

The best throwing 5W LSs are pretty much relegated to Mag reflectors (a smooth, large reflector)... Otherwise, faceted reflectors won't throw far. And collimators, as good as the 30mm is, won't throw farther...

And although I love the Side Emitters for a more evenly dispersed, less ringy, and more side-spilled light with a good hot center, the High Dome 5Wers are usually the King of throw...

McGizmo

Flashaholic

I put a 5W in a 3" SF "T" head and it has an amazing throw for a LED. It's powered with 2 x 123's. The body is small and the complete flashlight is very light but the head is kind of big. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don, was the LS used a Side Emitter or High Dome?

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Choua,

I used a HD as I haven't had much success in trying to harness the 5W SE's in a focused beam. However, I think the 3" "T" might be up to the task and with the SE you would certainly get more light in the center beam, even if the diameter is larger. What I didn't mention is with the HD and the 3" "T" you have a direct flood of light that is really useful as well. I should probably also come clean on the fact that the LED is a W bin which is a bit of a plus. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

- Don

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool! Thanks for the details!

Latest posts