Nitecore D10 LED replacement

lumengeek

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I am considering purchasing a Nitecore D10 (Q5 version) as I quite like the styling of this light. However, I will probably want to replace the emitter with a warm version. I have no problem with soldering on a new emitter, but I was wondering about the head itself - is it physically possible to dismantle the head on this light, and has anybody tried it?

I also have a Fenix L1D (Q5) which I have also wanted to replace the emitter on, but I have read stories about just how difficult it can be to unscrew the head, so I have not tried. If the D10 head can be taken apart easily, I will go for the D10. If not, I will try to take apart the Fenix head to modify, then buy a D10 anyway ;)

Thanks

krazy89

Enlightened
hey there... the D10 would probably be a lot easier to take apart.... shouldn't be any loctite on any of the threads... the Fenix.... there's always loctite on the threads... some more than others... but still a pain in the u know where to take apart... although i have taken several of them apart before....

the D10... like i said.. no loctite... comes apart relatively easy... there is a lil trick to it... but once u get that brass retaining ring off... it's smooth sailing from there... the emitter star board isn't even epoxied to the pill... it pretty much just 'floats' on top of a lil bit of thermal paste...

hope that helps.

KraZy

krazy89

Enlightened
What is the "little trick" to get it apart?
hey Crimson...

what i did was use a paperclip... bent the first loop out so it's straight... then use needlenose pliers to make a 90 degree bend on about 2-3mm... so it's kinda like a hook...

and you have to shove the lil hook between the retaining ring... and the circuit board... and start from where the slit is in the ring... push out and up and make your way around the whole ring... and it should pop right out... once the ring is off... you can use needlenose pliers into the 2 slots in the pill... to unscrew it...

KraZy

lumengeek

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the speedy replies everyone, much apprecieted

Great that it seems so easy to take the D10 head apart, it looks like this has just given me an excuse to buy the D10 :p I will keep the Fenix 'as is'.

I actually like the cooler white of the standard Q5 for working on equipment during the day (part of my day job), the warmer tint will be for night time use as I find it better outdoors