Surefire LX2 Pocket Clip - Remove - Replace?

hcd615

Enlightened
I called SF customer support today and the guy said it wasn't a good idea to remove the pocket clip as there is a o-ring underneath and without the clip to hold it in place it will bulge out a bit and compromise the waterproof effectiveness.

My question is to the guys that already have the LX2 in their hands, can the clip be taken off and replaced with one of the older style clips from a E2DL or such? The SF rep wasn't quite sure as he said he never did it himself, but thinks it may be possible.

I tracked my package and I will have my LX2 tomorrow, can't wait...

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Tried it.

NO-GO The head will not screw down all the way because it will rub on the portion of the clip where it bends up. If you take a Dremel or wire cutters or a file and cut down or shorten the ends of the attachment tabs that would point toward the tail you may be able to make it happen.

The bulging O-ring issue is not applicable to this model. On the stock LX2 there is nothing behind/under the clip. It is a hollow space. If there would be a bulging O-ring without the clip then there would be a bulging O-ring WITH the clip. Also SF phone reps rarely, if ever, know what they are talking about.

Last edited:

hcd615

Enlightened
That you Sgt. LED! That is funny, he didn't seem like he knew too much about the light, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I also wanted the correct answer that is why I come to CPF :)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:eek:
:D
:thumbsup:
lovecpf too!

So are you going to try to alter the tabs on an older clip or just go without?
Also the new clip will fit on other E series lights but it is way loose. I believe if you carefully cut or sand the right spots on an older clips plastic tab then it will fit and be tight. Just have to carefully alter the plastic tab.

hcd615

Enlightened
When you say the plastic tab, do you mean the little piece that goes under the metal clip that is on the E series clip slot? I have a bunch of clips and parts (use to be a large SF dealer for years, even on CPF years ago) so if I try and screw one up - no loss.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yep
If you want to try the new 2 way clip on an E series light it should work with just a little reshaping of that little plastic bit.

When putting an E series clip on the LX2 you won't be needing the plastic bit, it fits right without it. I am tempted to trim the ears on the E clip and see if I can get the placement just right on the LX2. I think I have a spare anyway. I will be using the 2 way clip on the LX2 but it's fun to experiment.

mahoney

Enlightened
If you want to leave the clip off a SureFire permanently, it's fairly simple to cut a bit of black plastic to tightly fill the slot the clip fits in. Make sure it's flush with the surface the o-ring seals on.

hcd615

Enlightened
The bulging O-ring issue is not applicable to this model. On the stock LX2 there is nothing behind/under the clip. It is a hollow space. If there would be a bulging O-ring without the clip then there would be a bulging O-ring WITH the clip. Also SF phone reps rarely, if ever, know what they are talking about.

Well from what Sgt. LED said there is no o-ring beneath the pocket clip.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone want to trade thieir LX2 clip for a standard long or short, I'd be happy to trade.:thumbsup:

Send me a PM.:wave:

matt0

Enlightened

Well from what Sgt. LED said there is no o-ring beneath the pocket clip.

I think what Sarge meant was that the way the clip is designed, the o-ring would be bulging with or without the black plastic tab (underneath the standard one-way clips) So effectively, the issue described to you by the SF rep would affect the light with or without the clip installed.

Assuming the clips between the E1B and LX2 are the same (only short vs. long) this picture should show it well.

E1B clip vs. E2L clip
sfclips2.jpg

I dont quite understand what Sarge was saying about the older one-way clip not being compatible with the LX2 (although, I doubt I would want to swap them anyway)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
You got my first point right on! :thumbsup:

Now on the other your pic will assist. See just above the point of the "no clip" arrow. The hump in the clip as it is bent back sticks out too far if you place that clip on the LX2 body. On mine it prevents the head from being screwed in all the way.

hcd615

Enlightened
Well now that I think of it, cant I just take a clip from a E1B (short) and it would work perfect on a LX2?

I am only thinking about changing the clip as I have read that the original long clip gets in the way when rotating the tailcap on the LX2. Can anyone confirm that, or is it a non-issue?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
E1B clip would work fine.

I do not find it an issue really. I suppose it just depends on how big your fingers are. I am getting a tailstanding ring to put on mine and that extra surface area should make it a non issue for almost anyone.

johndoeslo

Newly Enlightened
Sarge,

Thanks so much for sharing your wisdom. I am wondering if a clip from an lx2 could be made to fit an e2dl? I understand that the plastic shim would have to be altered such that it would accomodate the new clip. This is not a problem as I have done it with putting an e1b clip on an e1e body.

Also, I have an lx2 on the way and am wondering where you ordered your tailstand ring from. More info and pics upon arrival would be seriously appreciated. Thanks again!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Oh yes you can make the XL2 clip work on the E2DL.

The tailstanding ring of Oregonshooter will work as will the Valiant Concepts A2 ring sold at JSBurly's.com When mine lands I will put pics up for you.

youreacrab

Enlightened
just de-clipped my lx2 and am loving the feel--i found the clip really messed with the feel of the light in hand. the clip would really dig into the hand especially hard when you're gripping it with pressure to go full-on momentary. if you're on the fence give it a shot. :twothumbs

Last edited:

boulder

Newly Enlightened
not sure if anyone has been curious about this topic recently. but i just de-clipped my LX2 and i love it! now i am going to get some paracord and make a sweet lanyard!

Latest posts