Firefox 3.5 What do you think?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Give K-Meleon a shot. It's not as feature rich as some of the others, but it truly flies.

Did you ever get your problem with help files not loading fixed? I'm wondering if that was related to K-Meleon not associating things correctly or the xchm or IE uninstall?

I tried Firefoxes latest as of a month or two ago but I still can't find much to compare to Opera for speed and features. I will say there are a few rare occassions (maybe once a month with a lot of surfing) where I find I need to use more of an IE clone so Firefox fills in for those few times.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't realize they had as big an update...just installed 3.0.11 not long ago. From the brief 4 minutes I've had it, it does appear to load pages faster. This is while doing a P2P transfer where bandwidth is already at higher levels. I'll have to play with it but so far, seems good.

Task Manager is showing 82,156K with two tabs open. The same pages open on the other machine running 3.0.1X is showing 52,872K. It is getting larger. Will keep an eye on it.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Just installed it. Wonder what this will mean?

FF35.jpg

mechBgon

Enlightened
dunno... still using Firefox 2.0.0.1
haven't found a need to upgrade..and probably won't unless they ban it:thinking:

Holy bundle of security vulnerabilities, Batman! :eek:

(the entire FireFox 2.x family is well beyond End-Of-Life, so the solution is to update to a supported version so you can get security updates)

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll wait a couple days before installing. Always good to see if anyone's computer blows up etc before jumping in. I've broke more software on my computer with upgrades and updates...

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I am running 3.0.11

Task manager shows 102,300K usage with 5 tabs open and ad-blocker (a MUST have for V-Bulletin boards). Is this typical?

Last edited:

mechBgon

Enlightened
MS of course disabled this FF ClickOnce extension (whatever it is) from being uninstalled.

The extension was initially installed for all users when .NET 3.5 SP1 was installed, so each individual user doesn't have to do it. FireFox (which is not a Microsoft product, incidentally ;)) will not let the extension be uninstalled by an individual user since it was installed for all of them.

Actually, if you have Automatic Updates enabled, you will receive that fix automagically. I doubt anyone at Microsoft thought that people who install .NET would be upset that it's built to work with a popular alternate browser, but you know the saying... no good deed goes unpunished :grin2: Anyway, the fix switches the extension to a per-user type, so each user will have to install it, but can also uninstall it.

Last edited:

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
dunno... still using Firefox 2.0.0.1
haven't found a need to upgrade..and probably won't unless they ban it:thinking:

(the entire FireFox 2.x family is well beyond End-Of-Life, so the solution is to update to a supported version so you can get security updates)
Yes Illum.... you really need to update. There is NO reason not to, and many why you should. :poke:

I'm suggesting 3.0.11 for now. I always wait a bit till some of the add-ons/themes I use catch up on compatibility before jumping to a newly released version.
Just my 2¢.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
The extension was initially installed for all users when .NET 3.5 SP1 was installed, so each individual user doesn't have to do it. FireFox (which is not a Microsoft product, incidentally ;)) will not let the extension be uninstalled by an individual user since it was installed for all of them.

Actually, if you have Automatic Updates enabled, you will receive that fix automagically. I doubt anyone at Microsoft thought that people who install .NET would be upset that it's built to work with a popular alternate browser, but you know the saying... no good deed goes unpunished :grin2: Anyway, the fix switches the extension to a per-user type, so each user will have to install it, but can also uninstall it.

From the posts I read on several locations, it is not being presented as innocently as you imply. It was slipped in to alter a competing browser without people having a choice to have their Firefox altered, or even that it was clearly explained as an optional choice. The lockout on a person not being able to uninstall was intentional, and is why people got pissed off (again) at M$ doing obnoxious things. I have auto updates, and it didn't arrive. I went and downloaded the fix from the link I posted above.

Otherwise, 3.5 is working better. Faster startup easy to appreciate.

Illum

Flashaholic

its only an issue if you don't know which websites you happen to surf on.
for CPF duty it works...and that's all I really use the home computer for...this and weather

mechBgon

Enlightened
its only an issue if you don't know which websites you happen to surf on.

I'm sorry, but that's still a security risk. The legit websites you visit can be hacked, their advertising partners can be hacked, the DNS servers that are supposed to send you to the real CPF can be hacked to send you elsewhere, and in the event that an infected system gets onto your network somewhere, your HTTP network traffic can be injected with malware on-the-fly, or your DNS requests can be diverted on-the-fly.

This stuff happens all the time, particularly the first two. In today's world, I wouldn't be trying to outsmart the bad guys by my surfing habits alone :candle:

I have auto updates, and [the .NET extension fix] didn't arrive.

It did for me, and I don't even have FireFox in the first place. Maybe you don't have the Microsoft Update engine installed? You can get it from http://update.microsoft.com , it patches more Microsoft stuff than the stock Windows Update engine does (Office, Works, Silverlight, Network Monitor, and lots of other stuff). I recommend it :)

dotNETupdate.png

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I don't like the little "Open a new tab" button to the right of the tabs... people should be forced to learn keyboard shortcuts! :devil:

I wish there was an option to disable that button in the "tabs" preference pane. :shrug: It annoys me when updates add unnecessary clutter.

Otherwise, I love me some Firefox!

:thumbsup: john

StarHalo

Flashaholic
ad-blocker (a MUST have for V-Bulletin boards).

Ad Block is a must for browsing the internet period. I have no interest in any other browser that does not offer it.

I don't like the little "Open a new tab" button to the right of the tabs... people should be forced to learn keyboard shortcuts! :devil:

I wish there was an option to disable that button in the "tabs" preference pane. :shrug: It annoys me when updates add unnecessary clutter.

Firefox is all about customization, you can make the browser look any way you want. Here's a full screen cap of what my max-real estate setup looks like (thanks to add-ons, and yes, there is no top titlebar, again an add-on):

cacap.jpg