Book/Reading Light?

Willieboy

Newly Enlightened
I read in bed a lot before shutting down for the day. Currently I have clipon headboard lamp that pretty much lights up this hemisphere. Meanwhile, she who cooks is trying to sleep.

Has anyone found a decent lamp that clips onto the book? Everything I've tried either burns batteries like crazy or doesn't provide adequate light.

Any help will be appreciated.

By the way, a headlamp is probably not an option. My wife would have me institutionalized.

strinq

Enlightened
What about this?

en-flexlight.gif

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eternalight using Eneloop rechargeable batteries. Not a book light per se, but I use it as such all the time. Just place the light on your pillow, facing away(duh) from your bedmate/roommate, or if lying on your back, propped between your shoulder and pillow so the light shines straight up, or in whatever direction your book is.

The Eternalight has adjustable levels of light, so you can step it down in case max output is still too bright.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
After giving up on those specially made book lights, I got some of these fibre optic cables and put a clip on my fenix E01 and clipped the thing to the book cover.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HP1193&keywords=fibre+optic&form=KEYWORD
http://www.jaycar.com.au/products_uploaded/productLarge2_9424.jpg

The E01 is not bad but the L0P is great with the 1W luxeon. I'm about to get a LF2XT. Hopefully the clip can be reversed.

Attaching the fibre optic to the torch was the hardest thing to get right but I managed to carve out a grommet from a pencil eraser.

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered a headlamp like the Zebralight H501 I find it alot easier than using a clip on light.

+100 on the zebralight, that is EXACTLY what i am using to read in bed without waking She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed, low mode is perfect to read.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight 501. Just don't use the headband, clip it to your pajama, t-shirt or whatever you sleep in. If you don't wear any, clip it to your ear, but I'm not sure of your pain tolerance.... :thinking:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I find the H501 a bit too bright for reading in the dark.
Wow, you must really have sensitive eyes! I think the low on my LF2XT and 120P is too high, but the H501w is right on the bottom edge of what I'd like to be reading a book by, with the medium setting being just a touch on the high side, but still comfortable.

Mike V

Enlightened
It's weird, but in the headlamp threads lots of guys were saying that they find the low, too low for reading, but I really find it quite bright.

I don't get it, because I have lousy night vision since I had LASIK surgery years ago?

Yeah, I'm tempted by the H60, but I'm not that keen on rechargeable Lithium batteries.

Seems crazy that I need to go to a higher capacity, higher voltage battery to get lower output.

If I could run that light on disposables of some sort, I'd buy it in a flash.

The only light I have that I'm happy with the low mode is the Photon Freedom Micro.

I wish I could get a light this dim, but with a nice beam and nice colour.

I suppose the H60 is it.