SFDB is back up

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I to understand things right?

Strategos International have taken what used to be the official SureFire DB, kicked out Alastair and Jahn (notice they are now unregistered), and turned it into the Strategos International DB? And SureFire will now have a brand new Official DB?

What happens to the years of SureFire archives that are currently in the board that Strategos have taken over? What happens to the memberships- post counts, profile info, etc? Will we have to create new accounts on the new SFDB?

Seems to me that, if I do understand it right, they have got it completely backwards. Strategos should have set up their own brand new board, and just moved the SFDB to the new address.

Having little interest in low light tactical operations, I am not sure I want to be a member of a low light tactical operations DB. But today I am. Having a keen interest in SureFire flashlights, I want to be a member of SureFire`s DB, but today I am not, and I am confused
confused.gif

Would someone in the know, please let usknow what`s going on? Is this just a temporary solution? Is it part of Ken Good`s contract that he gets custody of what used to be the SFDB now Surefire kicked him out?

confused.gif
confused.gif

Tim Flanagan

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I'm off on my understanding, but I thought Ken left to help form Strategos of his own volition. As for the pre-current SF/SI DB- my guess is that Ken registered it to begin with and has reasserted control over the name and changed it to his company's site. I also note that he's asking for moderators, which may be why Al and Jahn are now listed as 'unregistered" in that there are no assigned moderators as of yet and that's all that was in their profiles. At least that's my read on things.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Hi Guys,

The situation as I see it right now is that SureFire are setting up their own board so that Ken's board can focus on matters important to his company and the services it offers.

Al

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The situation as I see it right now is that SureFire are setting up their own board so that Ken's board can focus on matters important to his company and the services it offers.

This is where I`m confused. OK, Ken was admin for the SFDB, but it was for all other intents and purposes, SureFire`s board, not his.
Something like 4-5 years ago, Surefire did have their own board, then it became a sub-domain of their site, (was discuss.surefire.com), then it split from it totally- but was still their official DB. Now, it`s been handed over to Strategos, SureFire post-archive/membership and all. And Surefire have to set up another board.

I`m just baffled as to this decision. I`m also baffled as to the decision that I have to be up and out at 5.15 tomorrow AM so maybe I`m not in the best mood. Welcome back from my week off work!?

rolleyes.gif
confused.gif

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Dammed if you, dammed if you don't. There is always somebody upset.

I can't tell you how many complaints I received for "shutting the board down" without notice to SFDB members.

I was simply responding to a SureFire management request to no longer support the official SureFire discussion board on the domain name 186thousand.com. I am the technical and administrative point of contact for this domain. Transfer of domain names involves a notary public these days & I was more than willing for the past few months to give it to SureFire LLC free and clear.

SureFire decided to create a new domain name and host the board. On 186thousand.com I created full administrative rights to several SureFire employees and granted full FTP access to SureFire's web development team in order to transfer all forums and members to the new board. Why they don't have their board up is their issue.

In the meantime, I re-thought the situation.

SureFire DB members are emailing telling me they are upset that they have no place to go. SureFire does not want 186thousand.com, it is in my name. I decided to host a board that will shift focus toward the tactical application of lighting tools, something I am familiar with and is the focus of my company's efforts. I clearly indicated that this was not the SFDB anymore.

Now that the weekend is over, I can simply delete all posts from 9/14 backwards if that serves everybody's interest. and remove all membership of folks prior to the changeover, or I can leave the history and membership and make it easy for folks to decide where they want to place spend their time.

I will go out with a mass-email asking all members if they want their membership removed from the 186thousand.com board. and I will certainly do that.

I will not sell email names, plain and simple.

I responded several times to CandlePower forums request to host a forum when this board was down. Although I was no longer working directly for SureFire, I was maintaining Surefire's discussion board until they got their proverbial act together and started managing and hosting it on their on.

I am interested in providing places to talk about low-light issues.

I am open to suggestions.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto FC and Sean.

Somehow I don`t think the (currently non-existant) new SFDB will have the same atmosphere. Personally, I think they made the wrong decision. But as Al points out, it`s not our decision, despite the fact that we were all members of a "community" there.

:edit: Ken posted as I was writing this.
Thank you for your response to our concerns, and I think I can understand the position you were in. Personally- and meaning no disrespect- just my opinion and not knowing too much of how these things work- I think you should have let SureFire take their board (transferred it from 186thousand to their new domain if that could have been done?)- archives, members and all- and you at Strategos set up a brand new board and start out fresh. But it is of course your decision.
I am undecided whether I`ll remain a member. So long as there`s still talk of plain flashlights, I think I`ll remain and just lurk for the most part.

I wish you and all at Strategos the best fortune for the future. And I hope (dare I say I`m sure?) that things will return to a relative "normality" for SureFire fans and users before too long.

Please know that I, and many CPF members, are very appreciative of the support you gave us during the recent downtime. This is not meant as a complaint as such, just a lot of confusion from a tired Welsh fire alarm engineer.

grin.gif

MarcV

Enlightened
Wow, Ken doesn't waste time. I've already received my "wanna drop out" email from him.

I saved it as a nostalgic icon of these good old days.

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
I just got off the phone with the President of SureFire and the Sales Director, they both gave me permission to maintain all post histories in order to keep continuity.

In their opinion, it would be in the best interest of everybody concerned.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I know SureFire, it`ll be ages yet before we see anything of it
tongue.gif

And there`s not even any Proto Fotos of it on PK Engineering to oogle at in the meantime
rolleyes.gif

Ken J. Good

Enlightened
Here is another thread that deals with the issue:

http://186thousand.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000323

Oh by the way, I noticed SureFire has dropped the discussion board link off their Homepage.
Having some experience with SureFire, I believe you will not see a new discussion board appear.
SureFire Discussion board was shut down without notice, said it was going to be up on Sept 19th, it is not there, nor will it ever...an opinion.