EZAA or QUARK 1AA

Screwball

Newly Enlightened
I have narrowed my choice down to these two for edc for me the Quark has an advantage of the really low and moonlight settings for map reading at night I do a lot of driving etc
the EZAA has size and a real bright high (how long can it run at that level without damage?) on it's side
Opinions would be most welcome not too technical please don't understand it .:thumbsup:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the EZAA but not the Quark. IMO -the Quark is a much better light feature wise and functional wise. But the size is a bit large for an AA light and some would not like to pocket carry a light that size. If you want/need the smaller size - then the EZAA is the better choice. Remember, a light is only good if it is on you when you need it.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
standard CPF methodology: get both :devil:
if you must choose either one, then I would suggest Quark AA. The available strobe mode may come in handy.
but seriously, you will be fine with either one.
I edc EZ AA/w and keep a safety beacon light in my car. I found myself using the low mode of EZ AA 90% of the time.

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Quark will be brighter on 14500, and it does have more features.
OTOH the EZ AA is easy to carry on keys and is tough and bright enough for most tasks at 30/130 lumens. It's not that much of a stretch to buy both.

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say go for the Quark as it is more versatile, more modes, reversable/removeable clip, Lego ability and has the XP-E for a nicer beam, however the EZAA has the tripod mount and smaller size.

DimmerD

Enlightened
No ill intent here, I have deleted my whole post in hopes you will feel better now. I am sorry if you were offended Screwball, I never directed any negative response towards you, did I? I simply corrected (to the best of my ability, which wasnt perfect either) some grammar for you. I thought I was doing you and the rest of the people here a favor, sorry to all for trying to do a favor.

Last edited:

Screwball

Newly Enlightened
I took the liberty of adding a few periods, comma's and semi colons for you, it just makes it easier to read.

I take it you are an english teacher or just make a habit out of insulting people who don't have the same command of english as you I may not have the same understanding of the technical side of my chosen hobby but you are the first person here to make me feel like an idiot
Thanks

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I took the liberty of adding a few periods, comma's and semi colons for you, it just makes it easier to read.

I take it you are an english teacher or just make a habit out of insulting people who don't have the same command of english as you I may not have the same understanding of the technical side of my chosen hobby but you are the first person here to make me feel like an idiot
Thanks
I don't think that was his intention but that he just wanted to make a point that good grammar makes reading/comprehension easier. I'm sure I'm not alone in not thinking of you as an idiot, or of his post as particularly rude either. :kiss:

I think you should definitely get an EZAAw (warm tint-I have two!) and am still up in the air as to whether I'm going to get one of the Quarks or not.

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took the liberty of adding a few periods, commas and semi colons for you, it just makes it easier to read.
I am with rookiedaddy, just get both!!!

And I took the liberty of removing the unnecessary apostrophe in commas for you as there is no show of ownership. :D

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
That 2 AA tube makes my AA a AA 2. For an extra $20, I get BOTH.:popcorn:

sabre7

Enlightened
IhavenarrowedmychoicedowntothesetwoforedcformethequarkhasanadvantageofthereallylowandmoonlightsettingsformapreadingatnightIdoalotofdrivingetctheezaahassizeandarealbrighthighhowlongcanitrunatthatlevelwithoutdamageonitssideopinionswouldbemost welcomenottootechnicalpleasedontunderstandit

Much better now :nana:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
This is Screwballs thread, and he can sort of set the tone. I had no problems following the first post, and I see no real harm done by it. Grammar is off a little, but so what. So let's get back on track and help answer the OP's question.

Bill

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
This is Screwballs thread, and he can sort of set the tone. I had no problems following the first post, and I see no real harm done by it. Grammar is off a little, but so what. So let's get back on track and help answer the OP's question.

Bill
Well, do you have anything to add about the lights? I gave him my opinion on the EZAA, found a growing interest in the Quark, tried to smooth some ruffled feathers, laughed at some of the interesting bits along the way and just after the silliness of Sabre's post comes more distraction, although not in such a friendly manner.

If we're going to talk lights, let's talk lights, but there's nothing wrong with a little additional banter as long as it doesn't get things too far off track.

So to re-cap, I believe the EZAAw is a must-buy light, regardless of how far it comes from my ideal of having a low-low, due to it's simplicity and incredible compactness.

Hope there can be more opinions posted by buyers of the Quark AA. :popcorn:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with kaichu. The EZAA is an exceptional light. It's small size and nice beam make it very useful.

DSC_5869.jpg

Comparison from HKJ's amazing collection! (HKJ--I just linked this in the same way you did in another thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3001337#post3001337--please PM me if you'd like me to remove it from here.)

I'm also torn about picking up a Quark though...

Last edited:

sabre7

Enlightened
Well, do you have anything to add about the lights? I gave him my opinion on the EZAA, found a growing interest in the Quark, tried to smooth some ruffled feathers, laughed at some of the interesting bits along the way and just after the silliness of Sabre's post comes more distraction, although not in such a friendly manner.

If we're going to talk lights, let's talk lights, but there's nothing wrong with a little additional banter as long as it doesn't get things too far off track.

So to re-cap, I believe the EZAAw is a must-buy light, regardless of how far it comes from my ideal of having a low-low, due to it's simplicity and incredible compactness.

Hope there can be more opinions posted by buyers of the Quark AA. :popcorn:

Was just trying to help lighten the tone of the thread after the OP's outburst.

Perhaps the OP should either buy both, or do more research on lights he intends to purchase and enhance his admittedly limited knowledge about them before posting a thread asking others to decide for him.

Unfortunately, threads like these can go on endlessly with an equal number of valid recommendations coming from owners of both lights.

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm with kaichu. The EZAA is an exceptional light. It's small size and nice beam make it very useful.

DSC_5869.jpg

Comparison from HKJ's amazing collection! (HKJ--I just linked this in the same way you did in another thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3001337#post3001337--please PM me if you'd like me to remove it from here.)

I'm also torn about picking up a Quark though...

Wow, I never knew the size between the two was by that much. It'd be awesome if the EZAA used the XP-E, but it doesn't. Oh Sabre7, I see 2 spaces in there smart...:nana: Shame on you. Seriously guys, let's not let things get blown out of proportion and keep things all in good fun, everything I say is not to offend, but for laughs.

Rexlion

Enlightened
Any idea which UI you would enjoy more, a twisty or a clicky?

If you can't decide, the D10 gives you both. :grin2: I have the D10 and I enjoy being able to use it either way as the mood or grip suits. The knurling on the EZ-AA and the D10 looks pretty similar, and I can say it feels great in the hand and looks great too.

If you want to use this sometimes in a bedroom without waking your SO, you will like having the extra low low of the quark (or D10).

If you want a light to carry in your pocket, the twisty will be appreciated because the hand naturally grabs it in an underhand grip. If you want to carry a light that's clipped to something, it becomes easier to initially grasp in a way that makes the clicky more convenient... but I still have to tell myself to not grab it underhand or I have some wasted motion.

Even without a clip, the EZ-AA or D10 can be carried with a small split ring through a hole, then a carabiner through the split ring... now you have a dangle-clip.

Last edited:

burntoshine

Enlightened
i think they're both awesome lights. i have the Quark AA, but not the EZAA. however, i have a LD01 and a LD10, which are very similar in my mind. the Quark AA just has more options and the clip lets you keep it in so many different places. that low-low (moonmode) is a must have in my opinion. it seems like the only thing the EZAA has over the quark, is smaller size, but the Quark isn't that huge by comparison. i'd put up with a slightly larger flashlight to get all the extra options.

i vote for the Quark

burntoshine

Enlightened
Any idea which UI you would enjoy more, a twisty or a clicky?

If you can't decide, the D10 gives you both. :grin2: I have the D10 and I enjoy being able to use it either way as the mood or grip suits. The knurling on the EZ-AA and the D10 looks pretty similar, and I can say it feels great in the hand and looks great too.

If you want to use this sometimes in a bedroom without waking your SO, you will like having the extra low low of the quark (or D10).

If you want a light to carry in your pocket, the twisty will be appreciated because the hand naturally grabs it in an underhand grip. If you want to carry a light that's clipped to something, it becomes easier to initially grasp in a way that makes the clicky more convenient... but I still have to tell myself to not grab it underhand or I have some wasted motion.

Even without a clip, the EZ-AA or D10 can be carried with a small split ring through a hole, then a carabiner through the split ring... now you have a dangle-clip.

i was thinking of the D10. i would choose the D10 over the EZAA; maybe even over the Quark, but it'd be a close battle.