Eagletac M2XC4 Cool or Warm?

TA_ls1

Enlightened
I just received my Eagletac M2XC4 about a week ago, and so far I love it. However, there is one thing that confuses me. On the end of the box, it says 3xR2 LEDs with 800 lumens max, and right below that, there is a sticker that says neutral white 4300K LED. Now, I thought that the R2s all have a cool beam, and that the warm beam is the 3xQ3s with 665 lumens.

The one I ordered from PTS was the 800 lumen R2 model cool beam model. I have emailed PTS about this and still received no response, so maybe you guys can help. The beam is definitely a warm beam, and it really looks great, but I am wondering if it is 800 or 665 lumens.

Are R2s able to generate warmer beams, or do I have the Q3 version, despite the box saying it is R2s?

Secondly, is there really that much of a difference between the 800 and 665 lumen models as far as brightness and throw?

Thanks,
Andy

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it looks warm, it's probably the Q3.

The warmest R2s available are those near the 5000-5500k range I think, which would look neutral at most.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Andy,

In my experience and from what I've seen here in pictures, Nitecore only has the one M2XC4 box displaying "3xR2 XR-E LED". The sticker at the bottom displaying either a "Cool White 6000K LED" or "Neutral White 4300K LED" supersedes what's on the box. So, from what you're saying, it sounds like you got a Q3 model. I have an R2 Cool and it's no where near warm. So... It looks like they sent you the wrong one, unless... they put the wrong sticker on the box. It can happen.... don't ask me how I know. :whistle:

Edit to add: Thinking more, I doubt PTS would notice it was the wrong sticker, and wouldn't send it to you that way anyway knowing it's the wrong box. It still sounds like you got the wrong model.

Last edited:

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Yeah, it definitely is the warm beam. Now the question is whether to keep this one or get the cool model with more lumens. Does anyone know how noticeable the difference is between the R2 and Q3 model in terms of brightness and throw. I know it is 665 vs 800 lumes, but when looking at the beams, is the R2 version noticeably brighter to the naked eye, or does it throw further?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it definitely is the warm beam. Now the question is whether to keep this one or get the cool model with more lumens. Does anyone know how noticeable the difference is between the R2 and Q3 model in terms of brightness and throw. I know it is 665 vs 800 lumes, but when looking at the beams, is the R2 version noticeably brighter to the naked eye, or does it throw further?

The labels on the R2 and Q3 versions are the same, only the small sticker (either Neutral White 4300K or Cool White 6000K) differentiates the two. EagleTac will probably fix the label mistake soon (shows R2 LEDs for both, instead of Q3's for the Neutral White version... plus it incorrectly shows the same lumens figure for both).

You'd be hard-pressed to see a difference in brightness between the two. The Cool version measures about 28,000 lux @ one meter, the Warm version measures about 25,000 lux. Any perception of the cool being brighter would most likely be due to the difference in tint... most people see a cooler tint as being brighter, even if they measure the same lux. I actually prefer the warm version, it almost seems to "carry" better at distance... illuminates items more naturally, allowing me to observe them more clearly.

Edit: I should add that I only tested a couple of each version... further testing could show that the two are farther apart in lux measurements. :shrug:

Last edited:

strinq

Enlightened
From the few reviews I've read and also from my dealers perspective, the R2 is noticeably brighter.
But most of them also said that the warm version give a very nice beam, easier to the eye.
It's personal choice in the end. Nicer light colour vs brightness.