Cree R2 led direct drive

cir2kuk

Newly Enlightened
Can i run a Cree R2 off a 6v 4ah sealed lead battery? Direct drive?

torch.jpg

+

L_0026a.jpg

jupello

Enlightened
That sounds little high for the led. Better add some resistor or circuit in between..
Edit: If you are going to use that module in the picture, and if it's designed to work with 6 volts(2xCR123), then there should be no problem just sticking it in with couple wires :p

Last edited:

alphazeta

Enlightened
It won't be direct drive because that drop has a driver to regulate the voltage. It will work. However, you'll run into issues with dissipating the heat from the drop in in that type of body.
No easy fix without some work.
-Az

cir2kuk

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the advise everyone, im still learning about LED's.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Why put a tiny Cree drop in into such a large light?
The main advantage of having a bigger light is the large reflector. You would be far better to buy something that is designed for the drop in 18650 LED Flashlights the drop in is included in the price.
And your spending not too much more than you are thinking of spending now and you will have a far better torch in a much more compact body with the same light output, better heat sinking and it will fit in your pocket. Far handier I think

Norm

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 to that Norm. I just noticed the double o-rings on my Solarforce lens when I took apart the bezel tonight. An impressive feature, very under-marketed.

cir2kuk, the only way to get the led to light up near its maximum is to have it well cooled. If you tuck it away in that plastic box you pictured, it may just heat up and under perform.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
and i have no idea how fantastically skilled you are so maybe that's a great idea.
however I'd still like to suggest a few simpler, smaller projects first. Get a feel for battery performance with different emittors, output of cool tints and warm bin led's under different situations, etc.
What I'm saying is, even looking through the b/s/t there aren't actively cooled lights, so the uber experienced builders find it an unneccessary complexity. Maybe it works out great for you, but also maybe try a few different simple mods and you'll have other great ideas to try instead.
:welcome:

Best,
Linger
(search function is your friend. almost every question has been answered already)

cir2kuk

Newly Enlightened
Would love to fit a cree r2 into my 4d maglite!

So many threads to read, so little time!