Nuwai Q3 and RCR123?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybye I should have thought of this prior to ordering 6 16340 cells to experiment with. I want to try one out on my retired Q3, will I smoke it?

chiphead

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
I say it would be fine. I used to use rcr123 batteries in mine all the time and I remember that plenty of other people did the same. Mine was the old original version which was driven pretty weak on primaries. I think I remember that there was a version released later that had a stronger driver. I don't know how a rcr123 would affect that version but i can say that an emmiter swap is very easy with this light. You can change the emmiter if you burn it out.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you burn anything out I doubt it would be the emitter, but the circuit board. I have a few of these lights with different emitters and run them with RCR123s. I have only run them for maybe 5 min. non stop at the most and haven't burnt up a board.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you burn anything out I doubt it would be the emitter, but the circuit board. I have a few of these lights with different emitters and run them with RCR123s. I have only run them for maybe 5 min. non stop at the most and haven't burnt up a board.
It works! Why didn't I jump on RCR123 cells before, this could save me a few bucks.

chiphead

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
Just to give you a bit more confidence. I have ran mine continuously to depletion on unprotected rcr123 several times. This was before i learned about the safe useage of lithium ion rechargables. Obviously you shouldn't run them down like that but everything survived. Nothing burnt out.