Modding the LX1/LX2 tailcaps....

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone take them apart yet and seen how possible it would be to get a lower low out of them? I'm asking in reference to the upcoming LX1.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
OK
I think you have to unscrew the boot retaining ring and remove the boot.
Cut the post under the hard plastic button and the switches guts fall out.

It's easy to mod from there but then you have to figure out how to reattach the hard plastic button to the post. I would not trust glue. The post is awfully thin to try to put a screw in. Perhaps drilling a hole through the hard plastic button and the post so you can epoxy a pin in there would work.

I'm just not sure.
thinking.gif
What if you just replaced the whole post with a screw or rod? I will have to think more about this one with the parts in hand.
Anyone else care to chime in? I guess if anyone ever did mod an A2 switch then the same would work here.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blindasabat suggests using 2 flathead screwdrivers on either side of the button to slowly work it out. That way you dont have to cut/break it, thus making it hard to reassemble.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you took apart an LX2 TC and saw the same plastic mushroom headed post holding the guts to the AL body, then I would guess it is also pressed in same as the L1, L2, and A2. If you pull out without breaking it then you can just press it back in. I put one that broke back together with glue and it is still working.
Have you tested the TC resistance?

youreacrab

Enlightened
If you took apart an LX2 TC and saw the same plastic mushroom headed post holding the guts to the AL body, then I would guess it is also pressed in same as the L1, L2, and A2. If you pull out without breaking it then you can just press it back in. I put one that broke back together with glue and it is still working.
Have you tested the TC resistance?

Agree--prying off the mushroom cap with 2 flathead screwdrivers worked for me! :twothumbs