this is serious, my dog is driving me nuts!

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
In 1990 I got a dog from the pound (6 months old approx), shepherd , lab mix. At the time my girl friend stayed home with the dog, spoiled it rotten, bonded with the dog, took it to the beach or park every day, life was good. I fed it, paid for medical stuff and did my best to enjoy this dog. From day one, this dog gave off this high pitch squeal, like whining, more closely to brake squeal. She could come home from 3 hours running and playing at the beach and start it for no reason. It seemed to be almost a breathing reflex of some sort, it seemed to come out of her nose. For the past 13 years I have had pinched nerves and difficulty walking, just had a laminectomy in the end of february. I can't take her out for walks but that never seemed to be the problem anyway, she isn't walking very good herself now. I have grown to hate the sound she makes and have become so sensitized to it that I can hear her in the garage when guests can't. I have her in the house most of the time but she does it upstairs as well, even when she is falling asleep. My girlsfriend is a dog groomer, loves dogs and detests this dog more than I do. She has lived with me for over 5 years and on several occasions have thought of putting the dog down. I don't think she is doing my health any good and I have been a dog lover all my life but I am at an impass. I have come close to losing control when she does this whining(think fingernails on a chalkboard) and behavior control seems out of the question and I am at my wits end. She is 13 1/2 years old, weighs a 100 pounds and had a lot of endearing qualities but has worn out her welcome. After my ex bonded with the dog, I never felt like she was my dog anyway and don't know what to do. Sometimes I take off her collar and get close to kicking her out the front door knowing she probably wouldn't be back. I am not a bad person, actually quite spiritual but now I am desparate. It seems as though she is making this sound because she know it drives me mad, and when she keeps doing it I someitmes go into a rage and have a hard time controlling myself. This girl friend had left 9 years ago and I wished she had been able to take this dog with her. I wished I wasn't an audiophile and my hearing was starting to fail so I would be less likely to hear her but apparently my hearing is really good. This sound of her invades my very being now , almost like it's penetrating my soul , trying to do me harm, ok enough of the melodrama, you guys get the idea now, god it's good to vent, thanks any of you for reading this drivel.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Keith, Try to remain calm. Obviously this is a big testing for you.
Has the dog been to the vet lately? Maybe you should see if this sound is being caused by a medical condition.
If you are a spiritual person, and you say you are, then you will see yourself and the pooch through this impasse somehow, some way.. You sound like a sensitive guy, I don't think you would be comfortable otherwise, do you?
(Any chance the ex would want the dog now?)

Greta

Flashaholic
Well... let's see. Usually when your stub your toe, you're supposed to smash your finger so that the toe doesn't hurt anymore. So in this instance, I recommend getting a bulldog. A male bulldog. His rude noises and snoring will make you long for the shining... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously... Keith, have you had him checked out at the vet? This sounds like a sinus thing... or breathing thing. Remember that he can't help it. I know that's poor consulation... but it is the truth.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I take her to the vet regularly, and some have suggested it's a breed issue, that they are known for high pitched subtle squeal. I haven't been able to have her put down and she is having an effect on my health I'm sure. To be really honest, I've been trying to deal with this for 10 years now, 10 years of ever increasing irritation, can anyone imagine what happens over that time period? If I felt that I wouldn't tear myself apart with guilt, she would be gone.I've had her take physicals but the vet can't find anything wrong with this dog. The really odd part is that I've become so sensitized to the sound I've developed a hyper hearing ability.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
TedtheLed, I appreciate your search but instead of using wheezing it should have been whining, the vet could find nothing wrong. Maybe I'll do one on whining or how long a big old dog with arthritic degeneration can hang on, I know that sounds bad, and when she goes I will cry and feel awful no matter how much I endured but still............

2dogs

Enlightened
Well Keith you have an old dog. Many people just kill the dog they've grown tired of. Is that you? Go ahead and lock her out, you said she isn't walking all that well. Either another dog will kill her or she'll be hit by a car.

BTW how old are you? When you get old and need help, walk out in traffic and end it. Or maybe challenge an off leash pit bull and let it kill you.

Pretty harsh, huh? Disgusting really. I don't talk like this very often but I want to help you see your dog in a different light. Old dogs need our help, both to live and to die with dignity. If you are any kind of a man her death will sadden you. Let it happen at the right time for both of you. Your old dog will never understand what an x-girl friend is and she can't understand resentment. I have no doubt she understands loyalty and would protect you if she felt the need. We all reap what we sow. Bill

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keith,

My wife and I have supported an organisation called best friends. They often help place difficult case pets and animals into better situations. It sounds as though it is best for both of you if you and your pet part ways, I know you are probably afraid of losing it on the dog and obviously don't want to. Maybe a shelter organisation like best friends can help place the dog with someone, maybe a hearing impared organisation or home. I am going to post a link below for Best Friends, they are a great organisation and hopefully they can help. There is an email address at the bottom of the home page, you can also look around the site to see the kind of work they do. I think if you were to contact them and tell them the whole story they may be able to help. If you need some help I think we are all here for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best Friends Animal Refuge

Take care,
TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
Keith... I have a pound puppy also. Best as we can tell, she's a Queensland Heeler/Australian Shephard Mix. She has a "squeal" as well. Actually it's more of a "I'm being killed!" whine. It's awful! She does it when she's excited. At first, I used to jump up and fly out the door! I always expected to see some coyote tearing her throat out or see her head caught in the gate or her foot being chewed off by one of the other dogs. It's that bad! But no... it was just Sheila getting excited because she could hear the school bus and that meant my son would be coming acrossed the wash any minute now. I always think that the neighbors hear it and are dailing up the SPCA. I've tried to find a new home for Sheila several times. But she always ends up back at my front door. Seriously! So I just deal with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I think at this point with you, you need to talk to your vet as to what to do. Have you tried the old squirt bottle every time he does it? Maybe that would help?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keith, ask the Best Friends people about possibly recommending a good animal "behaviorist".. another word for pet psychologist.

A friend of mine consulted-and then hired one for a short modification course. (spent 75.-$100, and it worked for his neurotic German Shepherd.
-Good Luck.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm 57 years old and have thought often on how I would want to be treated, especially when I get older and how this relates to her. It's not an issue with this poor old dog becoming a bit of an annoyance, it's been like this for the last 10 years since she was really young. I have been a dog lover all my life and maybe I should talk to the vet to see what options I have. I have spent almost a quarter of my life listening to this, and I guess I wound up being more sensitive to it than some people. I honestly don't think she knows she is making these sounds, but I do know that my current girl friend ,(she can't stand the sound either)who refers to the dogs she deals with everyday as a groomer as having hands, feet and she refers to having met a nice dog or a difficult dog. It seems like she would be too old to have someone adopt her and I often think of what would have happened had I not rescued her from the pound.
Best friends animal refuge looks interesting, I wonder if they are in northern California?

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keith,

Best Friends is located in Kanab Utah, but they have a country wide network of shelters and volunteers that assist them. Yours sound like a special case. They have all kinds of assitance services and legal services, they have even rescued animals that were scheduled for destruction by court systems. Reps and supporters even came to NYC on 911 to assist in animal rescue and care for the rescue dogs down at ground zero. The Sanctuary has all kinds of animals, some will be lifetime residents there and are well taken care of. They really do their best and even encourage visitors to come to the sanctuary. My wife has worked some fundraisers for them here in New York. We prefer rescue animals and have two cats at the moment who are both rescues and both pretty eccentric characters.

Later,

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Keith, if the dog is causing you health problems put the old dog to sleep. Don't let people take you on a guilt trip. They don't know what you're going through and they don't know your dog. They haven't walked in your shoes so don't let their words affect your decision. Who's to say the dog hasn't been in great pain all these years even though the vet can't find it. If you give the dog away you may be passing on a serious problem to someone else. And, of course you are the best judge but this dog may have no loyalty or any intention of ever protecting you. Point being; don't let me or anyone else tell you what to do with the dog. YOU are the most important one and the dog should be a distant second. The dog is not a person, she is not as important as your physical or mental health. Make the decision that's best for you.

I have three dogs and 5 cats. My two Australian Shepard's are 9 and 10. I love them to death and they love me (they love my wife and kids even more) They are starting to get old but even if they were young I would give them a way or put them down in short order if they were causing me or my family serious mental anguish.

When I get old and or senile and I am causing my family continual mental anguish I hope they find a way to put me down. Then they can mourn my death then move on. It's the circle of life.

2dogs

Enlightened
Dave I didn't think from reading your posts for some time I'd have reason to disgree with you. Until now. I don't have a guilt trip to give keith. Nor will I take his dog. The dog is his. None of the PC BS about "animal partners" or other new age terms for owners. He has a problem to deal with in his own way. I won't loose any sleep if he has the dog killed.

As far as people are concerned I don't believe in murder or suicide. The hand of God will reach us all. If that falls on deaf ears so be it, I'll still pray for you. I will not take a hand in murder of anyone. We aren't dogs.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
2dogs, You are correct sir with your ascertains but I do think you put a guilt trip on Keith. "Well Keith you have an old dog. Many people just kill the dog they've grown tired of. Is that you? Go ahead and lock her out, you said she isn't walking all that well. Either another dog will kill her or she'll be hit by a car." Sorry, but that's a guilt trip to me. I may be and am often wrong.

I also don't believe in murder or suicide. I chose my words poorly. I meant to convey I would not want any heroic measures taken to extend my life. I have seen the effects of prolonging a very bad situation and I wouldn't want to put my family through the same heartache.

Your words did not fall on deaf ears and I will take all the prayers I can get. If you really want to help, pray for my son.

Sorry to come across so harsh. I had already toned it down via self-edit before reading your last post. I got carried away and my crummy AC is broken and I am sweating my uh umm ohh, my socks off.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave, I don't think I am trying to put Keith on any guilt trip. I am simply trying to offer him an alternative to putting the dog down which it seems he is reluctant to do, I would be too. The dog doesn't seem to be incapacitated or too old. I think he feels the responsibilty of pet ownership that alot of us do and is torn as to what to do. I would do exactly what he is doing trying to find an alternative and some piece of mind in the process. I think he should throw an email to Best Friends and see what they have to say first.

I hunt and understand life and death well. My relatives keep cow punching dogs and barn cats that sleep outside in the arrid NM heat and sometimes disappear without a trace and I see plenty of strays here in the city that I can't help, but an animal that you take in as a companion is a different thing, and I think it is commendable that Keith is attempting to live up to the responsibility he began. It's simple compassion, I don't think folks would fault him if he had to have the dog put down, but it's nice he is concerned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I am old, hot, cranky and got after you guys for no good reason other I know the anguish Keith's going through. I put my daughters cat down last year and it was tough. If someone would have encouraged me against it then it would have been twice as hard. I made the right decision for my family and Keith will make the right decision for him.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
No offense taken here Dave. Just though I would be more clear in my intentions so no one mistook my attempts to help out, as pressuring Keith to prolong the problem with his pet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif