Eagletac M2C4 or TK40?

marc123

Newly Enlightened
Which of these 2 lights would you choose considering brightness, build quality, size and functionability?

I can't make my mind up between them. It would mostly be used for walking the dog, camping and general purpose. Can you set the Eagletac to be on turbo when you turn it on or do you have to cycle through the modes?

Thanks for your input...

HKJ

Flashaholic
Which of these 2 lights would you choose considering brightness, build quality, size and functionability?

I can't make my mind up between them. It would mostly be used for walking the dog, camping and general purpose. Can you set the Eagletac to be on turbo when you turn it on or do you have to cycle through the modes?

Thanks for your input...

Some points to consider:

• If you only uses the ring on the EagleTac, it has to be used and recharged on a regular schedule, because it will drain it batteries in 4 months, if you just leave it alone (it is 12 months for TK40).
  • The EagleTac uses LiIon, they required a special LiIon charger.
  • The EagleTac includes a holster, TK40 includes a shoulder strap.
  • The EagleTac is very fast and easy to change brightness on, but you will often hit strobe by accident.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i run Li Primaries (a buck each from BatteryJunction.com) in my P7 M2 (will order the 3xCree M2X this month or next).

i also have the TK40.

both lights are very nice. my pref. is for the EagleTac.

+1 to a prev. Poster on ring operation. i like the ring, but it is easy to overshoot turbo and go into strobe, but, then, it's a simple matter to back the ring off a bit and get back to turbo - IMO, a minor nuisance, at worst.

real issue, IMO, is what do you want to fuel/feed your light with? easy to find AA cells (or easier to use AA NiMH rechargeables), or Li Primaries/Li-ion Secondaries (i.e., rechargeables)?

if you're camping for a day or two, (or longer if you won't be using the light much), then either CR123/Li Primaries, Li-ion cells, or NiMH cells (depending upon which light you choose), are not a deciding factor. You may not need to even bring fully charged spares along, or, perhaps(???) at most, depending upon how much you actually use your light, a single set of spares.

however, if you're out for a week or two, unless you're car camping, or hunting in a situation where you were dropped off and perhaps didn't have to hike in far to your campsite, or rode on an ATV to the campsite, where the extra weight of a bag of spare cells won't be an issue, you may need to purchase new cells. in this case, the TK40, which can use AA alkaline cells, would be the less expensive way to go.

hope this info helps.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many AAs in one high drain flashlight is not good idea. Quote from 4sevens:
4sevens said:
mult-aa's? no way. We're getting tons of returns on the fenix tk40 from
1) reverse charging and leaking from unbalanced cells
2) people putting cells backwards and cells rupturing and leaking from the light being OFF. yeah, they turn as hot as grenades when you have lithium aa's put in them backwards

We're dealing with a lot of angry people all because of AA's. It's not really the AA's fault. It's the design. AA's were NEVER designed to sustain such high power loads. Perhaps nimh's will do ok, but even then, theres a thinner line between charged and discharged when you're talking about 1.25v cells.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got both, I like the beam of the TK40 better.
I used the TK40 alot, change batteries every 2-3 days, never have problem of backward AAs.

Last edited:

strinq

Enlightened
Personal opinion here, carrying 8 AA's would be a pain to me. But again it depends on the individual but in the (un?)likely situation where you're gonna need the light for a really long time Eg: a month or so with frequent use of turbo, the M2 will be way better simply because you can carry a lot of spare batts in small volumes.

Also if i'm not mistaken, the M2XC4 is more of a thrower and the TK40 is a floodier light.
Also, the M2xc4 has a little more output compared to the TK40.

marc123

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replys so far. I have 18650's on hand so that is no problem. I am not sure about the plastic band on the Eagletac and I am not sure if you can start with turbo mode when you first turn it on like the TK10?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks for the replys so far. I have 18650's on hand so that is no problem. I am not sure about the plastic band on the Eagletac and I am not sure if you can start with turbo mode when you first turn it on like the TK10?

If you mount the optional switch, you can start it at any level. Without the switch you have to turn the ring through the lower levels first.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I recently bought the TK40 after giving the Eagletac a hard look. I prefer the floodier Fenix. I cannot comment on the Eagletac because I never purchased one. Thanks to all the warnings here I'm very careful of AA battery installation but the carrier clearly indicates which direction to put them in. Of course I've never had to install new batteries in the dark.

I can tell you that you can set the TK40 to come right on Turbo without cycling through any other modes even if you lock it out to prevent battery drain (by unscrewing the head enough so the light one turn on - 4 turns in my case)

Latest posts