Need help, light for LEO

tadbik

Enlightened
Hi guys,

Want to buy new light for LEO in next two weeks and could use some help.
Here's what I need:

LED
High (over 200 Lumen), Low (to preserve night vision). Maybe strobe [Don't want or need 5-12 different modes!]
Must light up every time on high (ie. no memory)
Option to use 18650 is a must!
Around $100
Lanyard point.
Would prefer mode change that's easy to see/feel (ie. not twist on off to change)
Lanyard and holster included also preferred.

Thanks!

Last edited:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
EagleTac T10L, T10LC2... or 2 x T100C2 (~$50/pc :naughty:). All 3 can use 18650 battery, no strobe, dead simple UI: 2 mode, tighten for high, loosen for low.

tadbik

Enlightened
The Olight M20 would be another option.

I think it too meets all your requirements and the newer R2 version has an increased output of 250 lumens.

Thanks, but I think the Olight uses twist on off for the different modes and there's no way to know what mode the flashlight is in.

tadbik

Enlightened
Jetbeam Jet-III military is one option.

Has all of the mentioned things

This looks like a good choice but the interface looks a bit complicated don't you think?

I think I'll need some kind of control ring with markings showing the different settings. Something like the Inova Inforce. Problem with the Inova: No 18650 and more than my $100 limit.

Toaster

Enlightened
Low mode for general use is one thing. Low mode to preserve night vision requires a much lower output than is usually found in tactical lights except for the Jetbeams.

ARA

Enlightened
Thanks, but I think the Olight uses twist on off for the different modes and there's no way to know what mode the flashlight is in.

The M20 only changes light modes when on, hence if you set it to high even if you twist the head once its switched off the mode will not change. I have one and love it

AbleArcher

Newly Enlightened
You've never heard of it but we have lots of cows

I assume then that maybe one with a control ring would be better for you? If that's the case how about the Fenix TA21?

EDIT: Sorry, I see that you don't want too many modes so maybe this rules the TA21 out as the one thing it isn't short of is modes !

Last edited:

tadbik

Enlightened
I assume then that maybe one with a control ring would be better for you? If that's the case how about the Fenix TA21?

EDIT: Sorry, I see that you don't want too many modes so maybe this rules the TA21 out as the one thing it isn't short of is modes !

You got it! I need the TA22 (like the TA21 but only 4 modes) Fenix??

tekguy

Newly Enlightened
inova t4

not quite 200 lumens but is very pratical and hass all the features u want

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks like a good choice but the interface looks a bit complicated don't you think?

It's pretty simple.
Tighten for high, loosen for whatever your set choice is (strobe, low, etc.)

Where you leave it is where it will start, so i guess if you get in the habbit of leaving it tight, it will always come on, on high.

bagman

Enlightened
As stated above the JetBeam III Military fits the bill for all your needs (just not at the same time for strobe etc)

I carry mine on late shifts for a throw light with the seccond setting on strobe.

It is my first JetBeam but one of my favourite new lights for a long time.I lent it to a colleague who is a police dog handler to try out together with several other lights and he was also very impressed with it, far above the others.

tadbik

Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice,

I also am across the LUMAPOWER LUMAHUNTER MRV SK V1.1
which meets many of my requirements and Battery Junction has it for only $90.
This is definitely on my shortlist.

tadbik

Enlightened
As stated above the JetBeam III Military fits the bill for all your needs (just not at the same time for strobe etc)

I carry mine on late shifts for a throw light with the seccond setting on strobe.

It is my first JetBeam but one of my favourite new lights for a long time.I lent it to a colleague who is a police dog handler to try out together with several other lights and he was also very impressed with it, far above the others.

Thanks Bagman, It does seem a good piece of kit! Also on my shortlist.

jaundice

Enlightened
Thanks for all the advice,

I also am across the LUMAPOWER LUMAHUNTER MRV SK V1.1
which meets many of my requirements and Battery Junction has it for only $90.
This is definitely on my shortlist.

There's a guy on the marketplace with a non-sidekick version for sale, with the B-65 adaptor and other extras, for $65. It was a nightstand light. I almost bought it myself. This would be a great way to get this light for a deal (although I don't know if would ship to Israel).

-John

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any light that changes modes by loosening the head (like the Eagletac's, the fenix TK series lights, and the Jetbeam ) should work. It is pretty easy to tell what mode you are in, since most of those lights are only in high mode if the head is completely tightened.

Do you need CR123 capability too, or only 18650 compatibility? Do you want the light to be regulated for constant brightness with both battery options, or only CR123's?

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I'll need some kind of control ring with markings showing the different settings. Something like the Inova Inforce. Problem with the Inova: No 18650 and more than my $100 limit.

Don't think you can get it all man, the Jet III M i think comes closest to what you want.

The next closest i think would be a Fenix TA30, its got a control ring (lo-med-hi-fast strobe) a lanyard hole and an awesome strike bezel BUT it uses 3xCR123s or RCR123s or 2x14500 or 2x17500s, no 18650s. If i am not wrong there is no shipping charge from 4sevens and also a discount code, "CPF8"

I own one of these and feel, whether rightly or wrongly, that this light would suit your LEO.