4D maglight

Doxiedad

Newly Enlightened
Ok so I discovered your wonderful website and have been doing a lot of reading and learning.

I've just recently discovered the joys of LED lights, well the good ones anyway (had a led drop in for my mini-mag and it's crap). I just bought a Duracell Daylite 2 x AA and am very impressed with it. I know they're not terribly popular here and I should get a Fenix and what not but it was on the shelf and I said why not.

Anyway back on point. After experiencing the output of that little light my 4D maglight looks kinda sickly. Was reading and wondering if putting this in http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6k2.html is worth the money or just scrap the maglight. I do like the big heavy feel sometimes, but it's really too heavy to take anywhere.

I'm thining about upgrading to a Fenix TK20 but hate the idea of wasting a perfectly good maglight.

So how much of an upgrade will it be with that kit? Or if someone has another drop in solution that will improve it. Now keep in mind I'm new to the world of flashlights and think that the Daylite is very very good (being used to maglights anyway)

Thanks

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to look into incan mods for the 4D maglite. You can make an ROP with 6 sub C cells in a 4d maglite.

You also might want to look at the Malkoff dropins for maglites.

sabre7

Enlightened
I highly recommend the Terralux module you are looking at, I have it in my 4D Mag, and have never had any problems. It is the best upgrade for the money, and you will be very impressed with the tremendous increase in brightness & throw. It should be more than adequate for all practical applications you will need it for.

Many here will recommend Malkoff upgrades or a myriad of other modifications, but they are also much more expensive. Questions about Mag upgrades are posted almost weekly, so you might try the Google Search feature for tons of info about Mag upgrades too.

lumenosity

Newly Enlightened
The Terralux 6ex is a very nice upgrade for the 4d maglite. I have one in mine and am very pleased with the improvement over stock. Much brighter, batteries last a long time, and is still focusable.

Like sabre7 said... for the increase in brightness and ease of upgrade, it's well worth the money. There's tons of more expensive and brighter options, but for daily use the tle-6ex is a good bang for the buck.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my mag 4d with a magled for my emergency/power outage light. It isn't as bright as the terralux but it will run for 43:20 hrs to 50%. Check out the review here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm
If you are looking for increase brightness (with reduced runtime)your next step up is the terralux tle6x. Iwould also take a look at the malkoff. It is a quality product that is bright as hell.

nismotor

Newly Enlightened
Doxiedad, as long as you are not going to use the 4d for too long at a time (ex:not more than a few mins each session) the terralux is great. The lack of a proper heatsink in the terralux willmake it dim after it heats up, which is pretty quick.
If you are planning to use it for long intervals, spent more money for the Malkoff Device dropin, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited: