Is my P3D aQ5 or CE

Shalom

Newly Enlightened
I have a Fenix P3D purchased a year ago .
How can I tell if it's a Q5 (more than 200 lumen on turbo) or CE (180 on turbo I think)? Any outside markings or differences in the LED's shape -color?
Shalom

Marduke

Flashaholic
Unless the head is stamped "premium", no, there is no way to tell simply by looking at it. However, the practical difference between the two in use is negligible.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
what is "CE" in regard to an XR-E?

(PS: You - as well as any of us - are not able to tell the difference between a R2, Q5, or a P4 bin, when it has the same tint)

burntoshine

Enlightened
i've noticed you can look at the led itself; if there are 3 little wires connected to the die (2 on one side, 1 on the other side), then it's a CE, if there are four little wires connected to the die, then it's a Q5. it's been consistent like that for me at least.

Marduke

Flashaholic
i've noticed you can look at the led itself; if there are 3 little wires connected to the die (2 on one side, 1 on the other side), then it's a CE, if there are four little wires connected to the die, then it's a Q5. it's been consistent like that for me at least.

Doesn't work like that. 3 bond wires just means it's an early P4.

CE models made much more recently could in actuality could have anything from P4 and up, including Q5 bins.

Corvette6769

Newly Enlightened
Central Illinois USA, In a van down by the river

Same here, my Premium Q5 has four conductors and my P3D-CE only has three.

I have to disagree with Marduke, as the practical difference between the 215 lumen Premium Q5 and 160-lumen P3D-CE is substantial.

My P3D Premium Q5 has "Premium Q5" stamped in the head and my P3D-CE has no markings on the head.

Keep in mind that there are four versions of the P3D;
215-lumen P3D Premium Q5 - Premium (Q5) Cree 7090 XR-E LED
200-lumen P3D Premium 100 - Premium (100) Luxeon Rebel LED
160 lumen P3D Rebel 80 - Luxeon Rebel LED
160-lumen P3D CE - Cree 7090 XR-E LED

If all else fails, read the specifications on its original retail carton.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I have to disagree with Marduke, as the practical difference between the 215 lumen Premium Q5 and 160-lumen P3D-CE is substantial.

Noticeable side by side, yes. Noticeable in real use, no. A light must be roughly TWICE as bright for there to be a substantial difference, and approximately 4 times brighter to appear just twice as bright. Even side by side, the difference between 215 and 160 with the same beam and tint is extremely small.

And as I stated, most of the more recent CE models were not actually P4's, but Q bins, making the difference even less.