Arc AAA maintenance

Bosley

Newly Enlightened
My 2003 CPF Edition Arc AAA (which I EDC on my keychain) stopped working. The head still lights up (I checked it on a newer and less abused Arc AAA body). So what do I need to do to the original body to get it up and working again? The threads? The tail contact? Suggestions welcome. Thanks,
Robert.

MKLight

Enlightened
Someone who is more mechanically inclined may have a better suggestion, but since the head works, have you cleaned the threads and inside of the body with a q-tip and 91% isopropyl rubbing alcohol? Also, put a fresh, thin coat of lube on the threads. That should work...good luck and please let us know your results.

MK

Bosley

Newly Enlightened
My big clean-up had no effect. The 3 non-functioning Arc AAAs still don't work with their original bodies, but all 3 heads light up when tested on different bodies, so it is the 3 bodies that are the problem. These are various pre-2004 AAAs, so the parts don't all fit together (and some of the bodies have the chemkote interior while some appear to be raw aluminum). I cleaned the tail connection with a pencil eraser, cleaned the body and threads with rubbing alcohol, and re-lubed everything, to no effect.

Frankly, I am at a loss as to how the bodies could be the problem, since they contain no electronics. I am open to any suggestions.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dollars to donuts, the problem is corrosion in the base of the battery compartment. This is the most common problem we see. You can send them in and we can fix them under warranty or you could try something more abrasive like sand paper or steel wool.

peter

Bosley

Newly Enlightened
Dollars to donuts, the problem is corrosion in the base of the battery compartment. This is the most common problem we see. You can send them in and we can fix them under warranty or you could try something more abrasive like sand paper or steel wool.

peter

Is there any kind of solvent that would help remove the corrosion? I don't want to send them in if this is something I can do at home. I will try some steel wool and see what happens.

lebox97

Enlightened
some steel wool wrapped around the end of a q-tip to reach in/and clean up the inside end of the tube should work... ;)

once cleaned up flip the q-tip around and put a drop of deoxit gold solution to wipe off the inside to minimize future problems?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before you hit it with steel wool you night want to try using a good electrical contact cleaner spray. I have found that it will take care of even mild to moderate battery leak damage (your mileage may vary of course).

What I do is spray, drain out any excess, let dry, and then hit it with compressed air to blow out the crud. If there is anything left on the electrical contacts that isn't bright and shiny, I gently use a pencil eraser. If that doesn't work I move on to an emery board and a very light touch.

Once the contacts are clean I use DeOxIt Gold to preserve them. Love that stuff even though it is not cheap.

Marcio

Newly Enlightened
Dear friends,
I have four Arc AAA. One of them had the inside bottom oxidized by an alkaline battery leakage. First of all I have washed the tube very well. Afterward, I have that surface gently scratched with a thin pointed tool and then I put inside three drops of glacial acetic acid plus three drops of water. I have gently shaked it and then I have waited about five minutes. Then I have washed it very well and using an absorbent paper I have dried inside the mostly I did. Then I put a new alkaline battery and assembled back the Arc AAA and everything worked very well!!! I am sorry for my English because my knowledge of it is not very good!!! I guess that this orientation can help all of you...

Bosley

Newly Enlightened
The rubbing alcohol and steel wool got one back up and running like a champ. I am waiting for some Deoxit to arrive for one last run at the last two. I'll probably Deoxit all of them just to be safe-- sounds like a great product.

N162E

Enlightened
Use the best tool for the job, a pencil. Stick the eraser end in and wiggle it around. How bout that, contact all clean.

lrp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Deoxit is one of the best products you can purchase along with lights, it is simply amazing!!

Bosley

Newly Enlightened
Deoxit FTW! All my old (2002-03) Arc AAA's are now up and working like a champ. Even the one that essentially had a melted AAA battery in it. The Deoxit and some foam swabs totally did the trick. It worked so well that I've proactively used it on my other older lights. I must say I am very impressed.

fyrstormer

Banned

peter
Ya know, "Dollars to Donuts" would be a great name for a doughnut shop. You give them dollars, they give you doughnuts.

Latest posts