[PROBLEM] NiteCore Extreme Infinity...not that waterproof

nmaxcom

Newly Enlightened
Hi to everyone!

I just bought my extreme infinity and i just love it. But... i tried to test its waterproof and it worked underwater (i didn't go more than two meters down) perfectly, but when i got home... there's water inside of it!!

I've tried to dismount it, because it's just one or two drops of water but i can't pull out this yellow part which would seem to let me dry the lens:

IMG_1485_NiteCore-DI-Extreme_Head.jpg

What can i do??

Thank y'all!!:twothumbs:twothumbs

Bronco

Enlightened
Yet another timely reminder that the phrase "waterproof to IPX-8 standards" is essentially meaningless.

Welcome to CPF, nmaxcom. :) Hopefully someone will be along shortly to help you out.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
The parts come out through the front.

To disassemble the head you need to unscrew the bezel. There is a spring behind the light engine so be careful that things don't pop out too forcefully. Once you've got the bezel off and taken the light engine out you can extract the contact rings through the front. Be careful not to get fingerprints on the reflector or the inside of the lens.

Make sure that you keep a careful note of where everything goes so that you can put it back together ! (The best way is to take photos of each stage with a digital camera - I always do this when taking things apart !).

Last edited:

nmaxcom

Newly Enlightened
Yet another timely reminder that the phrase "waterproof to IPX-8 standards" is essentially meaningless.

Welcome to CPF, nmaxcom. :) Hopefully someone will be along shortly to help you out.

Yes... i did a thotough research on the web about that IPX-8 label, and more than satisfied i was when jumping off that cliff over the water uhmm...
i'm a hard learner:twothumbs now i know.

Thanks for the welcome

The parts come out through the front.

Moonshadow said:
To disassemble the head you need to unscrew the bezel. There is a spring behind the light engine so be careful that things don't pop out too forcefully. Once you've got the bezel off and taken the light engine out you can extract the contact rings through the front. Be careful not to get fingerprints on the reflector or the inside of the lens.

Make sure that you keep a careful note of where everything goes so that you can put it back together ! (The best way is to take photos of each stage with a digital camera - I always do this when taking things apart !).

Okay, so just to be sure before i start scratching the head of the lead with my tools... is that the point where it splits unscreweing the bezel?

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/5972/heado.jpg

Thank you for your help!

Viper715

Enlightened
The part you marked in that last picture is the delineation between the bevel and the head. Mine came apart by hand but if yours is tighter or loctited you may want to get a pair of rubber strap wrenches that will help and will not scratch it up. Like the man said make sure you know where the parts go. The first time I took mine apart I forgot to put one of the springs back in and it was funky. But I replaced the spring and all was well. Also to help further waterproof it you may experiment with different o-rings or some sealant.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Jumping off a cliff into water? No wonder it leaked, you surpassed any hint of rating several times over...

And I'm sure it was in a properly lubed and maintained contition to start with, right??

Viper715

Enlightened
Hey Marduke I didn't even think about the jumping off the cliff thing guess the pressure from the impact with the water would be several atmospheres greater than just letting the light gently sink to 3 metes. All that pressure just pushed right past the oring.

nmaxcom

Newly Enlightened
The part you marked in that last picture is the delineation between the bevel and the head. Mine came apart by hand but if yours is tighter or loctited you may want to get a pair of rubber strap wrenches that will help and will not scratch it up. Like the man said make sure you know where the parts go. The first time I took mine apart I forgot to put one of the springs back in and it was funky. But I replaced the spring and all was well. Also to help further waterproof it you may experiment with different o-rings or some sealant.

So that's te point that is the border between the two pieces i want to unscrew from each other right?

This is gonna be tough...!

Jumping off a cliff into water? No wonder it leaked, you surpassed any hint of rating several times over...

And I'm sure it was in a properly lubed and maintained contition to start with, right??

Eing? I jumped but it was in my hand (like i didn't throw it), it was dark so...i dunno. It worked perfectly i must say, it's just that i have these two drops of water in it.

Lubed? what do you mean?

Thank you guys for your assistance

nmaxcom

Newly Enlightened
Ok fellas, fixed. I used a dishtowel because i don't have rubber tools, but it scratched anyway. Not a problem as long as it works :)

Thanks to all!