I'm new here & would like a bit of help [longish]

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just joined the other day and have already found
TONS of great info.

I'd like some advice / suggestions to replace my hackarama M@G 2D [replaced the incan bulb w/ a 3 X LED [5 mm white] on PCB]. Its sort of adequate & runs forever >200 hrs w/ 2 D cells. What it lacks is throw and output.

My story:

I walk my dog 5-7 mornings w/ week, year round in central Maine, rural area w/ NO street lights . I'm out at least 30 min. per walk. I need a light that has good output and a throw of at least 100' [skunks around here can be agressive, better to see them at a distance!] and useful spill. I don't need water proof but I do need a unit that can handle some rain or snow and -20 F winter temps. I'd really prefer LED based & recharge btty.

I've seen the threads on modding a M@G, what would it take to use my old 2D w/ a new LED emitter [SSC P7 or Cree XR-E / MC/E] and a boost board?

I have the use of a shop w/ lathe & other metal working tools.

Or I am better off just buying a new 18650 based light? If thats the case I'd prefer a 2X 18650 suggestion [mainly for run time, changing bttys outdoors in the middle of January sucks!]

BTW, yeah I'm on a budget... the cheaper the better... WAF is BIG.

"Whats wrong w/ one of those chrome ones? Like we used to have on our bikes, back in the 60's! Isn't THAT good enough?!?!"

^G thang

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your budget? There are multiple high output LED mods out there for maglites. However, there are also a lot of good LED flashlights that are much smaller. I believe that the malkoff MD4 2 18650 host will soon be out, which takes a Malkoff LED "dropin" (there are many available options for dropins, but they tend to be fairly expensive).

supasizefries

Enlightened
Yeah figuring out what your willing to spend on the mods is something to consider before making a LED m@glite.

If you're going the ready made "budget route" you can get a Solarforce L2 with battery extension to run 2 18650's. It'll run great with a Cree r2. With a smooth reflector it'll have some nice throw too.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a soldering iron and are willing to solder, you might want to get a 2D MagLED module and upgrading it to a new Seoul or High CRI Seoul, then invest in a pair of Accucell Evolution LSD rechargeables (and charger) if you think you need it.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, for best bang for your buck, the Solarforce L2 is a good choice. For $25, the light comes with a 18650 body that's compatible with 2xCR123/RCR123 and a R2 drop-in with good throw and enough spill. The great thing is its versatility with various drop-in, bezel, body and tailcap options. See them in full glory in this thread. :D

Last edited: