Malkoff M60-LL Thoughts.

Unbreakable

Newly Enlightened
So both of the surefire lights I own were purchased LNIB with upgraded drop-ins from their original owners. Both are in the 200+ lumen range with runtimes in the 1 to 2 hour range. One is a G2-L and the other a 6P-L Defender. I wanted a drop-in that would put out a useful amount of light for a long period of time. Some of the good members here suggested the M60-LL which is around 80 lumens and has a runtime close to 8 hours at that rating and then drops off over another 5 to 6 hours so I'm told. This sounded like the best way to go for a utility/defense light that has good light but will last me through a really bad night if need be. Got the drop-in in the mail today and I gotta say I'm impressed. It's got a pretty good throw with a decent hot spot. and the flood spill lights up your immediate area really nice. I assume the heat build up will be small so I stuck it in the G2-L and left the all metal 6P-LD with the 285 lumen head in it for when I really need power. But all in all I think this is going to make for a great general purpose long lasting head. And the Malkoff folks were super nice and got it out to me really quickly.

I wanted to hear some thoughts on this unit from those who own one and have used them extensively. Especially in a G2-L body. Has heat ever been a problem? I left the factory lens in place... should I have removed it? I've yet to be able to try it out in complete dark night. But from my playing with it in a dark storage buidling today it seems to work really great. Love to hear your thoughts.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
No heat issues at all here.
Leave the window in until it gets totally scratched up then replace it with a UCL lens.

This is one of the best Malkoff's there is, enjoy.
icon14.gif

txgp17

Enlightened
I'm a career firefighter and I keep a M60LL equipped 6P tethered to my turnout coat 24/7. It's the only light I need.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
My next buy.

In a SF 9P clone like FiveMega, you can run M60LL and:

2x18500
3x123
2xAA

Of course you can run it on 1x18650 also.

Even more flexibility than Malkoff M30 IMO.

bxstylez

Enlightened
My next buy.

In a SF 9P clone like FiveMega, you can run M60LL and:

2x18500
3x123
2xAA

Of course you can run it on 1x18650 also.

Even more flexibility than Malkoff M30 IMO.
it'll run direct drive with single-cell and 2xAA setups on a M60 (light will fade as battery depletes)

M60 is designed to stay in regulation with a 3.6-9v input

bxstylez

Enlightened
best bet if you want a long runtime configuration is to contact gene directly and have him build a M30LL (warm, if possible), and run it with AW's new 18650 cells that has a capacity of 2600maH

runtime will be around 15-16 hours with this type of cell
M60LL draws about 170maH

runtime = capacity of cell(s) / current drive
capacity .. 2600maH = 2.6A
current ... 170maH = 0.17A

2.6 / 0.17 = 15.294 hrs !!

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with M30LL -- interesting idea you have -- but it will lose the ability to run on primaries, more than 1 anyway.

It's real nice to go from 3x123 to 2xAA and vice versa and use Li-ion on M60LL.
It's not the best module but appears to be the most flexible one.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
it'll run direct drive with single-cell and 2xAA setups on a M60 (light will fade as battery depletes)

M60 is designed to stay in regulation with a 3.6-9v input

according to tests run on this, M60LL is brigher on 2xAA than M60? That's how I read it.

jcs71

Newly Enlightened
I currently run a M60LL in my G2 olive drab. The only other thing that I did to this light was to put a G2Z bezel on it because it has a pyrex lens in it. I think it is a great survival/utility light with this set-up. I am thinking of getting another M60LL for when I get a tan G2.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone done a head to head comparison between a Malkoff M60-LL and a Surefire G2L or 6PL? Brightness, beam shape and size, throw, and runtime?

jcs71

Newly Enlightened
It is a ultra clear lens. You can get them at www.lighthound.com . They are just under 7 bucks apiece. This lens allows about 99% light from the led or bulb to go through it. It does make a difference and is alot better than the crappy lexan lenses, found in the standard G2's, and pyrex lenses found in the rest of the lights.

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone done a head to head comparison between a Malkoff M60-LL and a Surefire G2L or 6PL? Brightness, beam shape and size, throw, and runtime?
I've been wondering the exact, same thing. Does anybody have comparison beamshots?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a ultra clear lens. You can get them at www.lighthound.com . They are just under 7 bucks apiece. This lens allows about 99% light from the led or bulb to go through it. It does make a difference and is alot better than the crappy lexan lenses, found in the standard G2's, and pyrex lenses found in the rest of the lights.

What's wrong with Pyrex lenses? I love these things. I had a Surefire 9P fall from the roof of the house onto a metal oil tank and then onto the pavement - and it survived, the M60 drop-in and the lense as well -- I was very impressed with the lense. I think anything else would have shattered.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The 'Runtime Graphs' thread by BigWaffles has a head-to-head comparsion between the two, regarding output and runtime. Output is comparable, but the SF P60LED has a regulated runtime of ~2.5 hours from 2xCR123, while the Malkoff has a regulated runtime of _18_ hours, actually measured, I'm not kidding - just look at the graphs (it's a long thread, check out post 2xx IIRC. The M60LL is an incredible unit and worth every dollar.:thumbsup:

jcs71

Newly Enlightened
Etc;
I worded it wrong. There is nothing wrong with the pyrex lenses. That is all I use on mine. My mind was moving alot faster than my fingers when I was typing. Sorry for any confusion.

I still say the lexan lenses still stink royally though.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah -- I am not sure Pyrex is the most clear one, but seems to be the most durable. IMO, just the lense itself is a good reason to get the 9P bezel in conjunction with your fav body.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
M60 Warm Low Low

Resurrecting this older thread as I just received I think my holy grail of Malkoffs - an M60WLL - yes, a WARM LOW LOW.

Guys, I dont know why it took me this long to order - I was afraid it was going to be greenish but, I cant even tell you how gorgeous the tint on this sucker is - it so nice and warm it has hints of pink - its just so amazing :bow::bow::bow:

I'm in love all over again with my 9P :kiss:

And its still brighter than a stock P60L :twothumbs

Thank you Gene and Cathy!