General Catty behavior.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it me, or has this board developed some rude or pushy behavior. There are many fine products that I will probably not get because there are things I would rather have, or they just might not appeal to me. The price performance debate is fine, I am one that will pay a lot more the get a bit more if I have to but I understand those who would not.
But what is stating to bug me is that I seem to see many judgemental posts out here. If I like a product, I like a product for one reason or another. But it seems that there are people who like to bash a product because it is something they would not be interested in. I know we might have different likes and dislikes but there is not reason to bash products because it does not fit there ideas.
I do not mind people pointing out overlooked features, defects, failures to perform, if fact those are welcome posts. I also think its good to state that a product might not do a function like someone else might think it will.
But to judge because they do not see the merits in it or is higher priced then they want to pay is not reason to be rude.
I do not know if anyone else shares my opinion but I think we are becoming a bit more rude in here. By a small minority.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
JonSidneyB

I am not sure which post it was that moved you to write this but I am surprised.
Not at the content but I am surprised of all people it was yourself that posted it.
If someone expresses their reservations about buying a certain product then they have the right to do so.
If someone points out a flaw (as they see it) in a certain product again they have the right to do so?
If the product in question is one you personally feel very passionate about I do not necessarily think this constitutes rude or inappropriate content, it simply means they have a differing opinion and like yourself they will voice their opinion.

Two nights ago I was reading the Arc-aa thread and was a little amused as to how it seems some people can't enjoy a good product without it being at the expense of other products.

These are your Statemens…
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB says…

Quote:
I have CMGs' they seem cheap to me....I am in...

Quote:
I don't like the CMG...is ugly...I put my CMG's on my dog collars...

Quote:
I wonder why people are seem to be trying to kill this thing off. If you don't want one, just don't buy it but don't try and ruin if for those of us that would buy it. I have been wanting a good quality Single AA with good long life....the was not an ungy CGM....

[/ QUOTE ]

Now in this thread you say…
[ QUOTE ]
But what is stating to bug me is that I seem to see many judgemental posts out here. If I like a product, I like a product for one reason or another. But it seems that there are people who like to bash a product because it is something they would not be interested in. I know we might have different likes and dislikes but there is not reason to bash products because it does not fit there ideas

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more inclined to think that what you are implying is that there are members here that have differing opinions to your own and when they voice those opinions you don't like it?
It seems you talk of CMG with the same contempt as something you might step in while walking down the street so I would be interested to know what dastardly thing some awful, afwul man might have said about your favourite flashlight that has offended you.

By the way I do not take offence at your comments about CMG I do however find it incredulous that you complain about other people not sharing your opinions.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I don't believe that rudeness has increased lately. Jon, you have been here for a long time. Remember when the board had some real mud slinging spells? It may be that folks get thin skinned at times. It happens to the best of us.

If you don't mind, I'd like to air my opinion on the Arc-AA thread, to wit.
[ QUOTE ]
I am asking you if you would buy this light. I am not asking for suggestions on a flashlight design contest (thanks).

[/ QUOTE ]The moderator(s) should of watched this Arc thread. Peoples opinions of Arc vs CMG was not part of the topic except maybe given as a reason of why one would buy or not buy the Arc-AA.
Maybe it would have been better if that thread was posted as a "poll".

Now that this is in the cafe, I want to say that if I can buy an Arc-AA, then you will soon see an ad from me in B/S/T.
F/S. One like new CMG-G with a polished reflector.

Anyway, all this is, IMHO. Please don't bash me.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Would my comments about the $601.00 ARC-LS-JSB be included in this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif ?

Tomas

Banned
The overall behavoir on CPF is some of the most genteel I have observed in an open membership forum in my 30+ years on-line.

I've observed a few squabbles that quickly died, and I've seen some posts that, were this Slashdot, I'd have moderated as "Troll" or "Flamebait," but there have also been many threads that could have easily esclated into a bar brawl or yelling contest that have been kept very civilized by the CPF members.

Even usually very divisive topics have been handled with aplomb.

Some, uh, "badmouthing" of products can be expected anywhere - look at nearly a century of Ford VS Chevy or nearly 30 years of Microsoft VS everyone else.

One thing, though, that is needed and good about CPF is that there is generally enough trust and common sense (very uncommon in the wild /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) that constructive criticism of products is expected and welcomed. I've seen designs improved by this right before my eyes.

I happen to think that there is as much intelligence and civility per-capita on CPF as in any other open group I've wandered into - both "real-life" and on-line.

One thing, though, that may be missing here on CPF is someone actually coming out and saying these things. Many of us probably think these or similar thoughts, some may not have actually "thought" about it, but just somehow like the "feel" of CPF.

I'll take this opportunity to thank all the rest of you for being such polite and intelligent correspondents.

Thank you.

tomsig03.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed that there are some people who trash a new product, based soley in their preconceived notions. Sort of like they have paradigm locked minds. I can't say this any nicer.

CPF is supposed to be a place where we can discuss lighting products on their own merits (or lack thereof), without bringing in hostile attitudes, such as, but, not limited to survivalist.

Let us be careful to state that our personal preferences are just that.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should not have bashed CGM, I can tell you I think the reason I started doing it is because it seems people have been bashing other people likes as of late and guess I got sucked into it as well.

I can tell you that in multiple threads people have told me to just get a CGM after an initial thread would say that I already have one and was looking for something similar but different. I do not see how getting something I already have 4 of satisfies the desire to get something that is not the CGM.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, the CGM statements were in response to others touting the CGM. Ang that another product was not needed. The ARC thread was not a CGM thread. It was to find out if there was interest for such a product.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I come here to gather info on the good and the bad in lighting. If the 2AA CMG Reactor is green, let the world know! Inretech lights are getting whiter and brighter, good thing to know. Arc VS Surefire is always fun (If you are going to spend that kind of money, better have some squabbles)

It is good to keep a lively debate concerning the lights we want to purchase. If everyone said all the lights were great, then I would have a bunch of lights that did not suit my needs. Luxeons are the thing for me, long throw beams and a flood. Don't want no stinkin' 123a Lithiums, just give me AAA, AA and D cells. I don't use them to dive or throw them in snowblowers for fun and prefer regulation.

That is just me, for most of the CPF'ers my needs do not fit theirs. A S4 ranked high domed Luxeon sitting on a Badboy 400 regulator with 30mm optics inside a Brinkman 2AA is the goal for me.

This group is very civil and will guide me in the correct direction on my trials and tribulations of building my light. I would say that some of those lights that the CPF modders make cast a shadow on the commercial lights. The bleeding edge is the modders, not the commercial companies. So, let the games continue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice post BentheadTX. I agree, and know that your line of work requires very specific needs. Speaking of which did you check out the Anglelux?
Nice mod eh!?

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
I have to major agree with Tomas re these boards/forums!!!
(I also remember a self-proclaimed BOFH severely chastising a PFY here in the Cafe recently /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Larry

Tomas

Banned
Think the BOFH got the lesson across to the PFY, though, Larry? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sometimes a bit of, uh, encouragement is needed, eh? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

I mean, after all, a PFY is a BOFH-in-training. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

tomsig03.gif

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Please excuse my ignorance or better put, my state of poverty when it comes to acronyms. But.... could you please explain or point me in the right direction what exactly is a BOFH and PFY? I guess I haven't been involved in discussion groups as long as some of you guys (Larry & Tomas) have. It took me long enough during the eighties to find out what a Sysop (pronounced "sigh sop") was.
added:
Please feel free to <font color="red">email</font> me with the answers as I don't get PM'ed (JavaScript blocked by my company) if they are too risqué to mention here, as I have a gut feeling that these may contain certain expletives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TIA

Ed

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Larry: Thanks. Excellent site. I just book marked it. BTW, I use Mozilla and it works great from work and at home where I have no filtering except for Zone Alarm and AdAware, two great products IMHO. Sorry about the plug, but these programs are so valuable to me, that I actually reg'ed and paid for them(a rarity for me).

Ed.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
e=mc2,

I have ZoneAlarmPro- wanted to pay for it! Also AdAware, and even better, SpyBot! (Need to send them some $!)

Larry

Tomas

Banned
Larry, the first time I ran across BOFH at The Register I went all the way back to the beginning and read 'em all, straight through. Thoroughly enjoyable.

tomsig03.gif