Mods for Inova X5? Clean-up of AL oxide, Petro Jelly for o-rings

G Man

Newly Enlightened
Bought an Inova X5 a couple of years ago...thought it was a cool light. Recently found this website and have been reading and obsessing since. Took the Inova out today and looked at the light, it is indeed the "terrible blue" beam (flood) and not as neat as I once thought. Is there an upgrade for this? I cannot see how to remove the head or LEDs from it.

BTW, on a different note, I have a couple of Costal LED Lensers that were purchased at Lowes a year or so ago. The two units are completely different in there construction. One has a removable head, the other doesn't. The lower portion of the light that contains the activation button is also of different construction. Also found that some cheap batteries that I had put in a while back had leaked and corroded the inside on one of the lights. I've scraped off the heavy oxide formation on the inner tube, used steel wool and treated it with phosphoric acid. The next step is an automotive rust converter that will dry to a hard black film. I intend to coat that with a thin film of black enamel paint as the final finish. Does this sound like the proper way to deal with this? I have some Birchwood Casey Alumi-Black that I could use but am not sure if it will provide any protection.

I'm lubing the threads with Superlube and was considering using petroleum jelly on the o-rings...any thoughts?

Thanks for any and all input!