Best Budget AA Light?

abladeafficionado

Newly Enlightened
Until discovering CPF, I thought a MAG was as nice as it gets for a flashlight, now I know that's far from the truth.
I've decided to look for a good AA light (1 or 2 AA) on a budget. I will be using it for household chores, camping, and other outdoor tasks.
So far I've looked at: Fenix LD20, Nitecore D20 and D10, and the Quark series because of the moonlight, 0.2 lumen feature.
I don't have a set budget but I will probably purchase from 4sevens because of their lifetime warranties on Nitecore and Fenix lights, an impeccable warranty on anything electronic.
If you guys tell me technical specs, I won't know what you're talking about... at all. If you can, try to post opinions that anybody can understand so it will make sense to me.

Thanks in advance.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Until discovering CPF, I thought a MAG was as nice as it gets for a flashlight, now I know that's far from the truth.
I've decided to look for a good AA light (1 or 2 AA) on a budget. I will be using it for household chores, camping, and other outdoor tasks.
So far I've looked at: Fenix LD20, Nitecore D20 and D10, and the Quark series because of the moonlight, 0.2 lumen feature.
I don't have a set budget but I will probably purchase from 4sevens because of their lifetime warranties on Nitecore and Fenix lights, an impeccable warranty on anything electronic.
If you guys tell me technical specs, I won't know what you're talking about... at all. If you can, try to post opinions that anybody can understand so it will make sense to me.

Thanks in advance.

On my website you can find some non-technical comparison of flashlights, this one here is probably the best one for you AA request: http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Beamshoot 4Sevens Quark comparison UK.html

But if you want to see other lights, start here: http://www.lygte-info.dk/review/Reviews UK.html

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here I go again. :)

Videos are simple enough to show D10's my preference.
Boiling Test
Runover Test
Underwater Test
Drop Test
Fishing Test haha

And cpfreviews stated:
"This review is a result of more than 150 days of EDC carry. During this period, the flashlights were carried through 2 continents and 6 different locations. Some of the locations were environmental extremes. The flashlights went through temperatures as high as 50° Celsius in the dry desert environment to as low as 6° Celsius winter; with relative humidity of tropical environment in excess of 90% RH to as low as 10% RH in the desert. The flashlights were subjected to sand storms, rain & thunderstorms. NiteCore Smart PD D10 was one of the flashlight that faced all environmental extremes with relative ease. For those, who cant wait to go through full review, rest assured that the Smart PD Design has proven itself to be very reliable if used carefully. NiteCore Smart PD D10 falls in one of the best in its class category."

abladeafficionado

Newly Enlightened
I'm liking the D10 a lot. But if I can get the D20 for the same price as the D10, should I get the larger D20 or smaller, more compact D10? Does the D10 include a pocket clip?
So far, I've read that the D10 has a better ramp on the piston system, but the D20 has a better runtime (duh) and that the D10 can be used for EDC where the D20 is too big for that.

planex

Newly Enlightened
The D10 can easily slip in a pocket and so is easier for EDC. The D10 would be my pick.

abladeafficionado

Newly Enlightened
The D10 can easily slip in a pocket and so is easier for EDC. The D10 would be my pick.

I already EDC a knife, will the D10 scratch my knife if they're in the same pocket?
BTW: I carry a Kershaw JYD Ti Sg2, I'm not sure of wear resistance of titanium. Or if I EDC my Orange Tyrade the g10 can't scratch, is that a better option?

Sorry about the noob questions, I'm a knife guy, not a flashaholic, my budget doesn't allow for both... yet.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm liking the D10 a lot. But if I can get the D20 for the same price as the D10, should I get the larger D20 or smaller, more compact D10? Does the D10 include a pocket clip?
So far, I've read that the D10 has a better ramp on the piston system, but the D20 has a better runtime (duh) and that the D10 can be used for EDC where the D20 is too big for that.

D10's clip is sold separately whilst D20 comes installed with the purchase.

Yes, D20's output is brighter and has a longer runtime naturally. Both ramps the same to me. D20's PD is easy to operate despite it being twice as long but it can't use Li-ion. And it's pretty tough and well protected with the SS bezel.

Of course, D10 is easier to edc. Well, you could edc D20, but be prepared to have people thinking you're happy to see them.

I'd go for D10 which when used with 14500, it'll be a pocket rocket.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Although I carry a D10 as my EDC, the best budget 1xAA I know of is the Akoray K-106 from DX. For just a little over $20, you get a surprisingly high quality light with clip and fully programmable. If I didn't know how much it cost, I would price it about the same as a Fenix or Nitecore or other reputable brand.

It is not as sexy as the D10 and comes from DX, but once you program it for your needs, it performs right alongside with my D10 and has a brighter hotspot.

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
I already EDC a knife, will the D10 scratch my knife if they're in the same pocket?
BTW: I carry a Kershaw JYD Ti Sg2, I'm not sure of wear resistance of titanium. Or if I EDC my Orange Tyrade the g10 can't scratch, is that a better option?

Sorry about the noob questions, I'm a knife guy, not a flashaholic, my budget doesn't allow for both... yet.

"g10 can't scratch"???

ANYTHING rubbing in the same pocket is going to get scratched up in a hurry.

Ti and g10 will look like crap in short order if allowed to fraternize with anodized and knurled aluminum.

If right handed, you carry your knife clipped in your right pocket and your flashlight clipped in the left. Pistol, strong side IWB w/ spare mag opposite. Backup, small of back or ankle. Simple and works for me. The important thing is work out a system and train religiously so that it becomes instinctual.

ohh, get the D10. It's a great piece of kit!

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may also want to look at the 2-mode q5 romisen rc-n3 on shiningbeam.com or the kingpower k2 on which is also on shiningbeam as well. They are not as nice as the lights you have mentioned, but they are cheaper and still very nice lights.

abladeafficionado

Newly Enlightened
I don't think g10 scratches, mine has never scratched and has been through more than it should. Wither that or I can't see any scratched. Right now, I have: knife in rf, phone in lf, wallet in rr, empty lr. I don't want to break the screen on my iPhone in my back pocket so I don't know how else to carry a light unless it's with my knife.

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
G10 absolutely scratches.
Go outside and chuck that butterknife down the street as far as you can and then come back and tell me about it.
2mhd4b8.jpg

When dressing casually I always carry my wallet in my left rear.
This allows my dominate hand to always be free. Think about it.
Anyway, a small light like a D10 could be clipped in the same pocket next to your wallet. That's probably your best option IMO.

strinq

Enlightened
If u really want a budget light, the fenixs and quarks aren't exactly budget.
The romisen RC-n3 would be among the cheapest and best lights under $30.
The Eagletac P100A2 is also a very highly recommended light (uses the newer XP-E lights, smoother beam). It's ~$40 after discounts (which i think is freaking cheap for a light like this).

abladeafficionado

Newly Enlightened
G10 absolutely scratches.
Go outside and chuck that butterknife down the street as far as you can and then come back and tell me about it.
My Tyrade isn't a butterknife, it's my work EDC, my Sg2 JYD is my EDC when I'm on my own time.

I consider the D10 a budget knife, anything under about $75 is budget to me.

Rexlion

Enlightened
If you get the D10 with the optional clip, you can clip it right at the entry to your pocket and it won't be in contact with the pocket's other contents. For that matter, clip it to your belt loop. I like that way because I can turn the light on and it will shine ahead of me without being held.

If you get the D20, IMO it's a little long to comfortably carry in a pocket. Rear pocket would be ok, until I sat down! But you can buy a nylon holster for a couple bucks and carry it that way. Or clip it inside your waistband, I guess. Personally, I tend to wear painter style jeans when not working, so I do sometimes carry a light that size in the lower pocket along the thigh seam... perfectly comfortable.

The D10 and D20 are convenient. Choose whether you want to twist on/off or push the rear PD on/off. The D10 hit my sweet spot and I haven't been able to get too excited about buying other EDCs. Well, except for that P7-modded light I just bought... :faint:

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
OK Chief, don't get your knickers in a twist. "Butterknife" is a term of endearment. :D
Did you chuck it down the street yet??? :devil:

You're right on target with the flashlight choices you've narrowed down so far. It's good you're clarifying the budget issue because when members here see the word "budget" they automatically assume you're talking about the junk sold on DX and Kaidomain. Since you are admittedly new to flashlights it's going to be extremely difficult to fine tune the differences between your choices because you have zero basis for comparison. What I'm trying to say is, until you've tried a few on for size you really don't know what you like. The Quark is the new kid on the block and its specs are top notch so maybe that's the one you should go for. I think they are butt ugly so no Quarks for me. For me personally, I still like the D10 because of the piston drive and all metal construction (no rubber switch cover to fail) along with awesome looks, size, runtime, battery flexibility and ergonomics topped by a very good clip (once you get that little SOB installed!). Search my posts on the D10 clip. Ignore the ones that tell you not to bend it to get it to mate better.

abladeafficionado

Newly Enlightened
Now that I'm looking at the D10, R2 or regular model? The difference is $3, is it worth it? Or should I get the R2 "just because" and it's only $3. I'm liking the idea of the piston and having any output I want for whatever I need.

slate

Newly Enlightened
The R2 is the newest LED and is a little bit brighter. I also carry the D10 and it is my favorite carry light. I own a D20 and LD20 and both and great but they are not lights that you can carry. It depends what you are planning to do with the light. I keep the LD20 at my bedside and the D10 in my pocket. CPF is a dangerous place because it is so difficult to stop at just 1 light. It would probably be best to buy a D10 and delete any bookmarks/links to CPF!