Any way to do USB with just par and ser ports ?

TOB9595

Enlightened
I have an old computer that I'd like to hook usb to.
Alas no usb, cd etc.
Any way to hook usb thru parallel or serial ports?
edit This is for an old laptop. I have to check if it has pci slot.
Tom

r2

Enlightened
Re: Any way to do USB with just par and ser ports

For some devices (keyboards, mice) you can get adapters. A lot of the features of USB just aren't available through parallel and serial ports so this option is only available for certain kinds of devices.

- Russ

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened

If you have a computer above P200 (and if it's a "standard" no-name desktop) most likely you have USB on your motherboard (but not outside). In this case you only need a "dongle". If not then I bet you could buy a better computer with USB (like a PII with CD-ROM, sound, network, ~4 G hdd) for less then 50 $. Most adapters will cost more than that (hypothetically speaking, because I don't know about such adapter).

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can go from USB to parallel or serial, but not the other way around. The problem is the level at which the drivers run.

If you don't have PCI slots you're out of luck as trailstoride has already mentioned. If you do then a USB card should run $15 or less and work fine. But if you're running an older machine what OS are you running? If it's windows prior to 2000 then the support was buggy and pretty lousy. The support in 95 was less than useless as I recall and I think it was possible but ont probable to get it working in 98 if you enjoy doing those things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Perhaps it is time for a new machine!

6pOriginal

Enlightened

I think the min. OS requirement for USB is windows 98SE, or at least the official requirement (there may be some 3rd party driver to get it to work), even tho I always hear people have trouble to get USB to work even with win98se.....thank god for 2k and xp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

The last release of win95 (I think called win95C?) supports USB although you have to install the drivers for it as they don't install automatically when installing win95. But really you need win98 or better as well as win2000 in the corporate world. As other's mentioned a PCI USB card is your best bet but some of the cards will do firewire as well.

highlandsun

Enlightened

USB 1.1 runs at 12Mbps. There's no way you'll run a parallel printer port or RS232 port at that speed. Also USB is required to provide +5V at 500mA power to any plugged in peripherals, and the line drivers on a parallel or RS232 port cannot supply that much current. A hardware upgrade is the only way to go.

TOB9595

Enlightened

Hi Folks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif DUH on me
I posted this as I was running out the door and I should have stated that this was for an old laptop someone gave me. I think it has w95 on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
I have a couple of minitowers and a dell laptop with dock station all those have usb ports.
My desire was to take this old laptop to work and during downtime or lunch work on my webpage learning. I wish not to take my good lap to the worksite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I have two external usb enclosures one china and one belkin. Belkin is kinda disappointing of late. I guess they're going thru some tuf times.
Anyway, I wanted to be able to hook up the external Hd or cd burner to this old lap. it now only has floppy. I don't even know if it has pci.
Hmmmmn, I wonder if there's a pci slot and there may be a pci usb card? Gotta check.
Trailstoride thanks for the tip
I just put a usb 2 port card in a p3 450 win 98 machine. SWEEET!
I use win 2k on my primary lap p3 900.
I'll switch the 98 machine to 2k sometime.
Thanks for all the swell advice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened

I've seen paralel -> IDE converters, so you could use a cd/hdd. If you have PCMCIA you can get anything from PCMCIA hdd/cd-rom drive to firewire ports.

What about your P-III, you had no USB ports ?! If you have at least one USB and need more you should get an USB hub (for as low as 5-10$) - very cheap and easy to install.

star882

Enlightened

"What about your P-III, you had no USB ports ?! If you have at least one USB and need more you should get an USB hub (for as low as 5-10$) - very cheap and easy to install."
I have never seen any computer >P200 without USB ports.
As for the hub, you can't connect high-power devices(such as another hub) to a hub because there's not enough power.
070603-USB%20overload.jpg

itsme1234

Newly Enlightened

Uh, you're righ, you might need a powered hub. That's easier to install (don't know if cheaper), but on the other hand you get too many cables...

shrap

Enlightened

My OS, Windows NT 4, doesn't even support USB ports. The equally old computer that it's running on does have 2 USB ports though.